A3 ROD MAGNETS SINGLE COIL PICKUP MOD SOUND DEMO

Upload your Recordings here...KICK 'EM OUT KAMPERS! :)
toomanycats
Reactions:

This track was recorded a few years back when we were still on the old forum and I believe I posted it at that time using Soundcloud.

The long and short of it is that I took a set of cheap Asian import single coils (from a Squier SE Strat if memory serves correctly), removed the ceramic bar magnet and knocked out the steel poles pieces, and replaced them with A3 rod magnets I sourced from AddictionFX. The pickups went into a late 90s Squier Affinity Strat, which was a great mod platform with it's full thickness alder body.

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Very bluesy sounding and I would expect that from that equipment. I like the tune too.

I own one Strat and it is one I built from parts. It is a HSH configuration with two Gibson 57 hums and a Strat middle pup. The guitar is a monster but I just do not like a Strat even with all the exact things I wanted on it. Maybe I should get it out and take another run at bonding with it.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Partscaster
Reactions:

good full mid and rounded high. and nice kitty. sounds worth having.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
toomanycats
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:30 pm good full mid and rounded high. and nice kitty. sounds worth having.
In modding those pickups I was trying to capture the sound of the Tonerider single coils that came stock in my Squier 50s Classic Vibe Strat. Those are great sounding pickups. Once I found a set that matched the resistance reading of the Toneriders I put the A3 magnets in. I know there's more to it than that, with wire type, gauge, wind pattern, and all that other science/voodoo stuff . . . but darn if these things didn't come out sounding better than the Toneriders. Dumb luck on my part.

That kitty is Shaw. He loves participating in guitar mods. Heck, I can't change a string without him being up in my business. He thinks he's my foreman.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

As in George Bernard?
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
toomanycats
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:18 am As in George Bernard?
Yes, you’ve got it! One of my favorite playwrights.

Sometimes I do play around and call him “Shawbucker.” :lol: