Me Too - Remastered

Upload your Recordings here...KICK 'EM OUT KAMPERS! :)
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

On January 21st, 2019 a challenge was issued on ye olde AGF by @TVvoodoo. He provided a set of lyrics without any music and challenged us to come up a melody and guitar to it. He intended people to grab an acoustic guitar in front of a webcam, but I decided to do it differently...

I got home from home at 6pm and worked straight until I had a full band recording (drums are Addicted Drums 2). The completion was slightly past midnight, so it was 6 hours straight, no time to eat dinner and I think only one bathroom break. I also took the liberty to add a couple F bombs because it just felt right at the moment.

Now, I'm not a singer by any means, but I'm still proud of what I did so I thought I would share it on this new site. I've also since re-recorded the guitars and did some mixing enhancements since then.

If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
fullonshred
Reactions:

That is a Great Job there RYW! Thanks for the share.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Well done. I am completely mystified about how to add drums to anything - it's like a congenital defect with me.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 am Well done. I am completely mystified about how to add drums to anything - it's like a congenital defect with me.
I basically test a bunch of MIDI beats through Addictive Drums 2 until I find the energy I want and make slight changes to match some important rhythms. I'm far from great with it.
toomanycats
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 am Well done. I am completely mystified about how to add drums to anything - it's like a congenital defect with me.
I believe the best way is to think about it is not adding drums to music, but adding music to drums. You start with drums, the beat, which is the foundation of any song. The most simplified beat is a metronome. So say you've got a riff and other parts composed on a guitar. Think about how many beats per minute (the tempo) it should be played at and set the metronome appropriately. Then play along with to see if the feel is right. Assuming the song is in 4/4 (90% of all rock songs probably are), put a kick at beat 1 and 3 and the snare at 2 and 4. Add a high hat, ride, or whatever for cymbals. There you go, you've got your simple drum beat.

Great job BTW RYW!
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
fatjack
Reactions:

very catchy sir, wll done.
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

I like this version even better than the other one... WOW so cool! Thanks for giving this the harshed-up ROCK treatment!
My original version, was probably misgenred. Your evokes much more nasty!

my original... not shown before I presented the lyrics to the forum for this experiment.

If anyone else wants to try another, I got plenty words saved up.
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

TVvoodoo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:53 pm If anyone else wants to try another, I got plenty words saved up.
Thank you very much! I like your version too; it gives the same words a different feel and one way isn't better than the other. They just resonate with different people. That's the wonders of music!

And I'd be very interested in doing another one! I like making music, but I have trouble writing lyrics. It's hard for me because I want the words to be from the heart, but being vulnerable can be scary and I also don't want to come across as whiny. I want the lyrics to be applicable to others, but I don't want to be too vague or cliche. Plus, now everything that is going through my head now that would make a meaningful song could come off as political and piss people off more than bring people together.

Working from your words let me just go after the song, which was a lot of fun!
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Here's one called "What we Get" written by a far younger more angsty me in 1994, seems a bit RJD inspired now that I look at it
I think it's a comment on being fairly newly married, and maybe a bit negative... but honest. I got over it LOL! Still with the same lady, and happy.

Like the tasting of tomorrow
A voice without a sound
That feeling of confusion
From a vision that can't be found

That's what I get from you
That's what you get from me
Lovers' whispers disguised as screams

Take the pride of a pauper
Add the weakness of a King
Sprinkle guilt from an angry lover
Mix it up and take a drink

That's what I get from you
Enslaved even as we're free

Wishing wishes you know can't come true
Dreaming dreams that cannot sleep
Turn your back against the future
Savour bitter, eject the sweet

Make a prayer to a God who won't care
Undying love to last for a night
A life sentence housed in prison
A lowly coward, forced to fight

That's all you get from me
When a liar cries out the truth

That's all you give to me
That's all I give to you
Perfect crimes without a clue
Perfect crimes without a clue

So it's a bit dark? Not in danger of being picked up by Air Supply that's for sure.
Anyway, I have a number of lyric/poems like this that I never bothered to write music for.
Seems I had more success working the other way 'round, riff first, add words.
When I write lyrics first, it stalls me out mentally.
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Narsh
Reactions:
Gearlist: Main Guitars: Kiesel Aries 7, Kiesel SCB6H,
Main Bass: Yamaha TRBX305
Main Amps: Kemper Profiler, AxeFX II XL+, Neural DSP Parallaxe
Recording: MAC,Reaper, Focusrite 8i8 Gen3, JBL LSR308
And much, much, more...

Nice job guys. No way I could do that so major major kudos to you!