Douglas Ceti (Harm) on Reverb

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Just saw a lefty Douglas version of the Harm on Reverb. Looks nice, but I already have a Harm. For any other lefties... I notice there appears to be superglue (without the soda) in the higher string slots of the nut. Otherwise dusty but attractive.

https://reverb.com/item/40511624-dougla ... fty-guitar
Partscaster
Reactions:

If that were a righty, I'ld have just bought it.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mickey
Reactions:

Methinks it would sell better if he got rid of those stickers.
I admit to being a Douglas fan (I own more of them than I do Agiles)
But when it comes to the Harm, I prefer the Agile dunno why, call me biased I guess?
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Seller told me there is no super glue in the nut, so I presume what I saw there was shadows playing tricks in the photo. I agree @mickey that the stickers don't help. I'd take them off right away.
tobijohn
Reactions:

I wonder why that never showed up in my feed? I wouldn't have minded a humbucker version, mine are all P90s. A plain top too...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mighty_duck
Reactions:

Didn't these sell for $170 brand spanking new?
To all the people who think Rondo-ware doesn't appreciate in value, take that!
tobijohn
Reactions:

mighty_duck wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm Didn't these sell for $170 brand spanking new?
Yup:

https://www.rondomusic.com/cetihum2tsleft.html
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

mighty_duck wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm Didn't these sell for $170 brand spanking new?
I do seem to remember that there was a pretty significant step down in quality/finish on these compared to the harm - rougher frets, etc. In any case, you are correct though - pretty much anything related to Rondo seems to have skyrocketed in value in the last year. Still not enough to convince me to unload my AL3K though ;-)
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tobijohn
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 pm
I do seem to remember that there was a pretty significant step down in quality/finish on these compared to the harm - rougher frets, etc. In any case, you are correct though - pretty much anything related to Rondo seems to have skyrocketed in value in the last year. Still not enough to convince me to unload my AL3K though ;-)
@honyock could comment on that as IIRC, he's had both the Agile and Douglas at one time or another. As for Agile used valuation, I can only comment on the lefty stuff but I'd have to say that generally speaking, over the last year, pricing on those has increased by probably 25-33%

@BatUtilityBelt , what say you?
dabbler
Reactions:

There IS a difference, but I don't find mine to be objectionably lower quality. I'm keeping both of these:
IMGP0477a.jpg
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm @honyock could comment on that as IIRC, he's had both the Agile and Douglas at one time or another. As for Agile used valuation, I can only comment on the lefty stuff but I'd have to say that generally speaking, over the last year, pricing on those has increased by probably 25-33%

I have a couple Douglases (no Ceti though). I like my Agiles more than my Douglases, but that's probably a model-specific discussion. I brought up pictures of my Harm to compare side-by-side with the Ceti, and it didn't look like there is much compromised on the Ceti. I prefer the Harm's ebony fretboard and the graphite saddles, but I did consider the Ceti. I also shot the seller an offer, but he took a better offer. It went for more than its new price.
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm
uwmcscott wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 pm
@honyock could comment on that as IIRC, he's had both the Agile and Douglas at one time or another. As for Agile used valuation, I can only comment on the lefty stuff but I'd have to say that generally speaking, over the last year, pricing on those has increased by probably 25-33%

the biggest difference was the gawd-awful humbuckers in the Ceti. Typical Douglas slightly poorer fit/finish Nothing stick out in my memory about the rest of the guitar. It was a lot like my Douglas WNO-640 compared to my D'Angelico, Douglas is an overall great value, but the finish work like frets and attention to detail like binding, nut slotting, tuners/hardware isn't as good overall.

The Ceti of mine was also 1/2 that shipped to my house...I paid not much more than the price listed on this for my Harm.

Hard to believe these are the same guitar.
2019-04-21 17.36.36-79.jpg
image.png
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

mickey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:36 pm call me biased I guess?
@mickey you're Biased
mickey
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:45 am
mickey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:36 pm call me biased I guess?
@mickey you're Biased
Thanks. I needed that.
Gandalf the Intonationer
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

This thread is dredging up some old GAS fumes, I think if I ever did find a used Harm for a reasonable price i'd have to scoop it up.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
mickey
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:45 am This thread is dredging up some old GAS fumes, I think if I ever did find a used Harm for a reasonable price i'd have to scoop it up.
Good thinking! IMHO it is the best guitar Rondo ever sold.
Gandalf the Intonationer
dabbler
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 am
uwmcscott wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:45 am This thread is dredging up some old GAS fumes, I think if I ever did find a used Harm for a reasonable price i'd have to scoop it up.
Good thinking! IMHO it is the best guitar Rondo ever sold.
Different strokes for different folks. And while for a semi hollow of unique style I would agree, I'm more of a solid body guy (though I like 'em all). So Rondo's most significant contribution to my stable was the KY1/ISIS/SIS, even though it was an SX design and not a Rondo original.
IMGP1454a.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:47 am
Different strokes for different folks. And while for a semi hollow of unique style I would agree, I'm more of a solid body guy (though I like 'em all). So Rondo's most significant contribution to my stable was the KY1/ISIS/SIS, even though it was an SX design and not a Rondo original.

IMGP1454a.jpg
I've got one of those that I put some Gretsch pickups in:
Attachments
P9090002.JPG
dabbler
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm
dabbler wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:47 am

IMGP1454a.jpg
I've got one of those that I put some Gretsch pickups in:
Kewl.

I've actually got a pair of naturals (a 22 fretter and a 24 fretter), but I had to change the bridge to get good action. and I found that I like an Alnico neck pup with a ceramic bridge pup in 'em:
IMGP2553a.jpg
IMGP2554a.jpg
Oh yeah, sorry for the hijack. :)
Mossman
Reactions:

Me too... I miss my 12-string Harm. If one of those came around, I'd probably buy it... But not for more than what it cost new.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
Guitar Hoarder
Reactions:

Love this Douglas. Just put refelctor type knobs on it.
Love this Douglas. Just put refelctor type knobs on it.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

I still have and love my Ceti. Got some sweet Harpmaster modern P90s in it and it just sings. It's one that I don't plan on ever giving up.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Hey Jeff Beck, good to see you! I have Harpmasters in my Alchemy Les Paul and they are wonderful. I had bought several sets from Tony back in the day and had some on the shelf. When my Alchemy arrived I did not like the pups that came in it. At that time I had discovered Buddha pups so I ordered a set from Tim. Meanwhile I had a gig and wanted to play the new Alchemy so I popped in a set of Harpmasters and I like them so much that they are still in there. No worries I had enough guitars with P90s to make use of the Buddhas. I had several sets of Harpmasters in guitars that I let sold. I regret not taking the pups out. I only have the one set in the Alchemy now and I do not use that guitar much anymore because it is heavy. A wonderful guitar but heavy. Maybe I should get it out and try it again since my heart has been fixed and I am strong again.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
notme
Reactions:

Back in the day i must have clicked on the rondo listings of the Ceti 100 times....but i never did pull the trigger, dammit.
I still do have my 1 douglas Gravity p90 $89 b stock. Id think its value has risen since then. The nicest sunburst finish ive seen, even to this day.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

The Ceti wasn't around very long which was sad as I thought a more affordable Harm was a great idea but I did manage to snag this baritone version in sunburst as a bstock that I had refinished in a lake placid ish blue
20231125_104142.jpg