Had to role back Reaper daw

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
MichaelR
Reactions:

Hey all. I haven't posted much as of late because I'm not used to the new format but that's not what I'm posting about today although this post my be in the wrong section.

I use Reaper for my daw and was pretty happy with it for the limited things I do in the recording area. However a few months ago I believe around the time they rolled out 6.0 I started having trouble with the amplification of the delay I use for my tone. Before 6.0 I could record a guitar rhythm and then record a lead section in a new track and it would sound pretty much like what I hear from my monitors but not now. Now the delay coming from the master is amplified to the point that its unplayable and nothing I do with the amp or with reaper makes any difference.
My setup is as follows, Katana 100 usb to my puter, 1/4 inch cable from my record/phone jack on the katana to my focusrite 2i4 which is also usb to my puter which is necessary for the power on the focusrite and of course a 1/4 cable from my guitar to the katana input jack. I use the katana for all the effects including the delay.

After months of trying to figure out why 6.0 started amping my delay I decided yesterday to look for the older versions of reaper and uninstall the newer one. Its nice that Reaper has all the old install files listed on there site here https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=4x , I prefer the older interface also.
Anyway I rolled it back to 5.0 and this fixed the problem. I saved my old reaper media file so all my previous work would not be lost however, sadly as soon as I load one of the old files the problem comes back. In the long run this will work to my benefit as I will have to go through the old stuff and clean it up by re-recording the newer stuff on the older version of Reaper and getting rid of the garbage recordings that needed to be deleted anyway.

I'm using this problem as an excuse to post :) and also for anyone who may have a problem with the newer versions of Reaper. I will be trying to figure out what it is that the newer version does to cause the problem but at least I can now use it again.
Milkman
Reactions:

I’m trying to spot the obvious, but why do you connect the amp to the computer via USB AND 1/4”? Can’t you just record into Reaper via USB?

I thought it would be guitar>amp>computer (Via USB)>interface>headphones.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
MichaelR
Reactions:

In order to kill the speaker in the katana I need to plug into the 1/4 phones/record input in the back of the katana and send the signal to the focusrite which acts as my computer interface and then out to the monitors, If I don't my speaker works and the monitors don't.I don't have my soundcard installed in the computer nor am I sure I even own one anymore so I would have to rely on the computers sound chip which I may have disabled so as not to conflict with the focusrite. I have read that the Katana usb can record to the daw but I prefer the focusrite due to having better control. I may not need the usb from the Katana to the computer however except for firmware updates so Ill try it without that connection, its possible that it is causing the problem with Reaper. Thanks for the question.
MichaelR
Reactions:

MichaelR wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:40 am In order to kill the speaker in the katana I need to plug into the 1/4 phones/record input in the back of the katana and send the signal to the focusrite which acts as my computer interface and then out to the monitors, If I don't my speaker works and the monitors don't.I don't have my soundcard installed in the computer nor am I sure I even own one anymore so I would have to rely on the computers sound chip which I may have disabled so as not to conflict with the focusrite. I have read that the Katana usb can record to the daw but I prefer the focusrite due to having better control. I may not need the usb from the Katana to the computer however except for firmware updates so Ill try it without that connection, its possible that it is causing the problem with Reaper. Thanks for the question.
Still not working right sadly :( . what happens is that I can record a track with the master turned all the way down and it sounds like it should but in order to play it back I have to use the master and when I turn it up it distorts the delay signal. I'm talking about the master volume control in Reaper not the amp. The funny thing is I don't have this problem in Reaper 5 it seemed to start with 6. I really don't want to eliminate the focusrite because I don't think its the problem but I may install a sound card and do so just to find out if it has anything to do with it, I think its Reaper though.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

MichaelR wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 am
MichaelR wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:40 am In order to kill the speaker in the katana I need to plug into the 1/4 phones/record input in the back of the katana and send the signal to the focusrite which acts as my computer interface and then out to the monitors, If I don't my speaker works and the monitors don't.I don't have my soundcard installed in the computer nor am I sure I even own one anymore so I would have to rely on the computers sound chip which I may have disabled so as not to conflict with the focusrite. I have read that the Katana usb can record to the daw but I prefer the focusrite due to having better control. I may not need the usb from the Katana to the computer however except for firmware updates so Ill try it without that connection, its possible that it is causing the problem with Reaper. Thanks for the question.
Still not working right sadly :( . what happens is that I can record a track with the master turned all the way down and it sounds like it should but in order to play it back I have to use the master and when I turn it up it distorts the delay signal. I'm talking about the master volume control in Reaper not the amp. The funny thing is I don't have this problem in Reaper 5 it seemed to start with 6. I really don't want to eliminate the focusrite because I don't think its the problem but I may install a sound card and do so just to find out if it has anything to do with it, I think its Reaper though.
Use the "Line Out" or the "Record Out" on the Katana into the Focusrite NOT THE USB.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Milkman
Reactions:

You should be able to use the Katana as your sound card. Connect to your computer via USB, plug headphones into the Katana to monitor (and silence the amp), set the Katana as your audio in/out device in Preferences and go!

I have no idea why Reaper 6 can’t cope with your method, but Reaper 5 can... must be a default setting somewhere.

"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
MichaelR
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 am
I have no idea why Reaper 6 can’t cope with your method, but Reaper 5 can... must be a default setting somewhere.

Yes I could do it using the Katana as my sound card I suppose but the way I have it now using the focusrite allows me to route the computer trough my monitors when the Katana is off which is most of the time. I will try recording once that way to see if it helps the Reaper issue though thanks.
I'm sure your right about it being a default setting that changed from 5 to 6, ill have to install one and then the other looking through both to see what changed. Im sure 6 has more features but I don't use them, everything I do works just as well with 5
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 am You should be able to use the Katana as your sound card. Connect to your computer via USB, plug headphones into the Katana to monitor (and silence the amp), set the Katana as your audio in/out device in Preferences and go!

His problem is he is using the USB out AND the Record Out of the Katana AT THE SAME TIME!!!! :o

I HAVE a Katana Head and use it all the time to record into a Presonus interface into Pro Tools and Studio One.

Why do what you're telling him when he has the Focusrite interface? Using the "Line Out" or the "Record Out" of the Katana does TWO things:

1) Reduces the LATENCY imposed via USB which is more likely to be part of the problem he is having

2) Using the "Line Out" or the "Record Out" of the Katana DISCONNECTS the speaker of the Cabinet or Head so what he hears is straight from the amp thru his DAW Monitors

He should install the LATEST version of Boss' Tone Studio as well.

For the most informative source on using a Katana ESPECIALLY in a recording environment go here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/boss.katana

AND HERE...from the owner of the same as above Katana FB group AND HE IS USING REAPER!

U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
MichaelR
Reactions:

Well no matter how I record whether its with katana usb only, no focusrite at all, or katana phone/record out to the focusrite with no Katana usb , or any other combination I still get the same distortion unless I use reaper 5. I really don't understand it but at least it does work with reaper5 so I don't have to look for another daw.