Reactions:

Also should add -
Play with the corner, not the tip.

Who dares disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeftyLife
ID10t
Reactions:

Right now I'm partial to the Dunlop Max-grip nylon standard 1.5mm. That will change again in 6 weeks. I do try the Jazz III black nylon, it works.
Texas Slim
Reactions:

Nope, it's the black stiffo that is the Jazz iii to use, the pointy ones.
Only problem is when i drop mine, black ones disappear, but the red ones don't sound right.
fullonshred
Reactions:

when i was playing I liked the red Jazz 3s better. Told music store owner the red felt and sounded a little different and I liked it better. He said "that's weird I thought the color was the only difference". A visit or two later iirc he told me they indeed were made of different materials. The red's are slicker to the touch and feel a tiny bit softer, the black ones feel like a nylon base or blend and the tips wore out faster i think.

I also loved the translucent purple Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 picks.
aullucci
Reactions:

Played the black nylon and ultex jazz III but never the red. I like those picks a lot.
fatjack
Reactions:

UMMM how about the red jazz 111 for you and everyone but me. I'm stuck on the yellow tortex weird or not it's what I like other than fingers. Honestly if I could get left handed thumb picks that would be all I used.
mickey
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 pm Honestly if I could get left handed thumb picks that would be all I used.
I have several left handed thumb picks. Jimmy at Southpaw sent them to me back in 2003. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
mark_morton
Reactions:

Once you go Black Jazz III there's no looking back!
fatjack
Reactions:

:D Thanks, [mention]mickey[/mention] now I know where to look.
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

Dunlop Big Stubbies for me—I carry all three, Red, Purple and Dark Purple. Sometimes I'll even switch in the middle of a tune, or even a solo. I stick Monster Grips on both sides, and often sharpen or re-shape the pointy end—big difference, especially on the 3mm …
When I was a kid starting out in the late 1940's (!!!) my Dad and I used real tortoise shell—oops!
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
ID10t
Reactions:

t100d wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:04 pm Dunlop Big Stubbies for me—I carry all three, Red, Purple and Dark Purple. Sometimes I'll even switch in the middle of a tune, or even a solo. I stick Monster Grips on both sides, and often sharpen or re-shape the pointy end—big difference, especially on the 3mm …
When I was a kid starting out in the late 1940's (!!!) my Dad and I used real tortoise shell—oops!
Thank you for the validation. I have a foam sanding block in the room that I grind down my nails with and sometimes run a pick over it to clean up the edges.
helsinkirocks
Reactions:

Never cared for the Jazz picks. I've always liked the Dunlop Wedge picks.
Joined the original AGF on January 20, 2007.
Final Post Count: 4,369
Flatline
Reactions:

I typically use Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm blue ones. When I run out or can’t find those it is Fender heavy.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III, XL and Sharp, in that order are the only picks I'll use now, nothing else feels or sounds right lol.
The Ultex picks just have a little extra *clink* to 'em 😅

I used to grind through bags of red and black Jazz 3s, if I didn't lose it before I retired it, it looked like a coin from being worn down so much lol.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
Bullcat
Reactions:

Dunlop Jazz III's have ruined my ability to use any other picks. Started with the regular red but they were too slippery, then got red and black maxi grips which were too rough and tore my skin up, later got some Eric Johson signature Jazz III's which sound a little more muted with less attack, I wanted the Joe Bonamassa sigs but much like his concert prices they were ridiculously expensive. Finally I found my Holy Grail picks the neon green Kirk Hammett signature Jazz III's with a v notch cutout and they are the best I've used and super easy to find in any environment when dropped.
Attachments
22047140106.MAIN__54301.1576897559.jpg
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
Tiga
Reactions:

I've been playing with Dava picks lately and starting to like them. Not on an acoustic though - seems to suck the tone right out.
fatjack
Reactions:

Thanks to [mention]mickey[/mention] I've now got Dunlop lefty thumbpicks on the way. As a side note if I had seen Southpaw guitars there when I lived in Houston I'd probably been playing for a lot longer. I lived maybe 7 blocks from there in lantern village apts. and went by Southpaws location weekly to shop at the Fiesta.
msc_
Reactions:

I've tried the Jazz III shape in a couple of varieties and wasn't persuaded to buy more. I like the good old Tortex standards and The Wedge. [mention]Perfect Stranger[/mention] gave me a nice variety of picks that included some Dunlop Flow models and I've really been enjoying the 1.0 mm.
Thanks Jim!
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I haven't tried the JazzIII, but I did buy a bunch of Big Stubby picks after trying one. They are a revelation for speed picking, but I am finding them useless outside of that.

Fender heavy is my sweet spot, though I might go for the thins if I start chasing the speed demon again.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
peskypesky
Reactions:

my favorite picks

Fred Kelly Bumblebee

And Dava Grip Tips

Banned by Momo
MrSouthpaw
Reactions:

I haven't given the Jazz III a try, or any other pick a try for that matter since I discovered the Big Stubby 1.0 about 10 years ago. By far my favorite as far as shape and feel when playing electric. I used them for years for acoustic as well, although I've started playing with a thumb pick much more often now. I think the yellow Tortex actually sound a little better with my acoustic guitars, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a difference with the electrics.
peskypesky
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 pm Honestly if I could get left handed thumb picks that would be all I used.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dunlop ... -left.html

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dunlop ... -left.html
Banned by Momo
mikesr1963
Reactions:

V-Picks are the finest playing picks on the planet. I actually use a lot of different types of picks and when I can go back to a V-pick it's just better. I'm not trying to convince you, merely stating a fact.
image.png
image.png
brentona
Reactions:

mikesr1963 wrote:V-Picks are the finest playing picks on the planet. I actually use a lot of different types of picks and when I can go back to a V-pick it's just better. I'm not trying to convince you, merely stating a fact.
image.png
image.png
The Vpick Chicken and Furo in that case look enticing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeftyLife