Vocal mics?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I am likely entering a jamming situation shortly where I will be...*gulp* the singer. No brown M&Ms for me!

I might need to provide my own vocal mic. Given that this is casual jamming, anyone have an good recommendations for an inexpensive, but not garbage, vocal mic? I have seen Pyles for next to nothing, but they don't fill me with confidence. I also like the look of some Behringers.

And yes, I could buy a Shure, but it is a casual scenario. Also, I am deeply concerned that I have lost my fastball, so I might not get asked back after a while!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I have tried many mics over the years. Cheap ones and pricey. Audio Technica and Behringer make decent cheap ones. I used Shure for many many years and then four years ago I picked up a Heil PR22. I kind of got used to it and thought it was fine but had the opportunity to use someone else's Shure Beta 58 and I suddenly remembered why I used them for so many years. I had two old ones but decided to get a new one. What a difference. I should have never switched. I think the Beta 58 is the best vocal mic for me, period. A side note, I A/B'ed my two old ones against the new one and one of them is not working properly. It is now retired. I also have a Beta 57 that I used with the Tonebenders for several years and I still use it at the rehearsal space. I have an EV 767 that is an awesome mic but I think they have been discontinued. I had it especially for a female vocalist in the band. I keep it at the house set up ready to go when I practice my acoustic show or entertain guests. I bought a cheap SE recently and it is okay but when compared to the Heil, Shure or EV it is just not on par. Probably not much help so if I had to give you the short answer I think I would try the Behringer. They seem to do a good job at affordable prices.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

On sale at Musician's Friend for $30 (it often is), is a Digital Reference drv200. Fairly close to the Shures, but a budget version. I have a pair just in case I need extras.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... jWEALw_wcB
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 pm On sale at Musician's Friend for $30 (it often is), is a Digital Reference drv200. Fairly close to the Shures, but a budget version. I have a pair just in case I need extras.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... jWEALw_wcB
Sadly, not readily available.in Canada.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:11 pm I have tried many mics over the years. Cheap ones and pricey. Audio Technica and Behringer make decent cheap ones. I used Shure for many many years and then four years ago I picked up a Heil PR22. I kind of got used to it and thought it was fine but had the opportunity to use someone else's Shure Beta 58 and I suddenly remembered why I used them for so many years. I had two old ones but decided to get a new one. What a difference. I should have never switched. I think the Beta 58 is the best vocal mic for me, period. A side note, I A/B'ed my two old ones against the new one and one of them is not working properly. It is now retired. I also have a Beta 57 that I used with the Tonebenders for several years and I still use it at the rehearsal space. I have an EV 767 that is an awesome mic but I think they have been discontinued. I had it especially for a female vocalist in the band. I keep it at the house set up ready to go when I practice my acoustic show or entertain guests. I bought a cheap SE recently and it is okay but when compared to the Heil, Shure or EV it is just not on par. Probably not much help so if I had to give you the short answer I think I would try the Behringer. They seem to do a good job at affordable prices.
The basic response on another forum is "just get a used SM58" but even a cheap one is $85 here in Canada. I am hoping to avoid spending that much, but might end up having to.

That said, our host might have all we need.
- Ron Swanson
OMB
Reactions:

Can't go wrong with Shure. I like some models of AKG . I think one of my favs is the D-88s (discontinued) which is very similar to the SM-58. I also have an AKG P5 that ain't half bad. If you get a decent mic it will last you a loooong time.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

GLS ES58 used to be an inexpensive alternate to the Shure. I don't know if they are available anymore.

Added: The GLS ES57 is currently available.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

OMB wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:50 pm Can't go wrong with Shure. I like some models of AKG . I think one of my favs is the D-88s (discontinued) which is very similar to the SM-58. I also have an AKG P5 that ain't half bad. If you get a decent mic it will last you a loooong time.
Yeah, still don't want to spend much because I have no idea how often we'll be doing this, or for how long. So, If I can get something decent for say...$60 CAD?...that should be good.
- Ron Swanson
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

ILuvTeles wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:53 pm GLS ES58 used to be an inexpensive alternate to the Shure. I don't know if they are available anymore.

Added: The GLS ES57 is currently available.
The ES58 doesn't show as available on Amazon Canada, and that's too bad because the reviews I saw were great.
- Ron Swanson
Spike
Reactions:

I have Shure for my main gig mics. I have a few Pyles as well. If it’s just a casual jam, I would go with Pyle.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine