Great Interview with Rick Derringer

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

It's a long interview...but if you want a real nugget start here: Well Worth It

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I thoroughly enjoyed that interview.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Interesting interview. Thanks Tonray!
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:05 pm I thoroughly enjoyed that interview.
I love listening to these icons of Rock and Roll from my teenage tears, the people they casually hung out with and the stories (Clapton/Harrison LP) are just like a roadmap to rock history.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

It was a history lesson in that interview especially the stories about some famous guitars. I love stories about guitars. I just acquired a Martin DRS1 acoustic that has a story. It has led me to give this guitar a name and I have never done that. Seriously, I know I have owned over a hundred guitars and never remember calling one by a "name".

I went to GC to purchase some Bose PA gear. While waiting on my guy to finish up with a customer, I stepped into the acoustic room to kill time. The very first guitar hanging to my right was a used mahogany (sapele) Martin DRS1 dreadnaught. I have a junior that looks just like it but smaller and I love it, so naturally I pulled it down. I started strumming it and absolutely loved the tone coming from that guitar, nice and warm with booming low end. There was something rattling around inside the thing that seemed pretty significant, not just a pick. I was shaking it around trying to see what it was when my guy walked up and was ready to get on with the Bose purchase. I told him this guitar sounds amazing and there is something rattling around inside. I shook it so he could hear it. He said sounds like the battery fell out of the little pouch. I agreed. He took it from me and carried away with us. He stopped and gave it to an underling associate and asked her to take to the repair guy so he could get the battery out and re-install it. I made the Bose purchase and left.

I kept thinking about how good that guitar sounds and couldn't get it out of my mind. A few days later I decided that I would like to own it. I messaged my buddy to see if it was still there because it is an hour away and I did not want to drive down and it be gone. He messaged back that he was not working and he said, "Weird, turns out there was cookie inside that guitar".

Saturday the wife and I had to travel down to meet her brother's family for dinner at a seafood joint. Since I had to go by there I decided to stop in and see it the guitar was still there. It was and I bought it. I had to sand down the bridge to get the action where I like it and I restrung it with extra light Martin strings. I gigged with it yesterday. It is now my No.1 gigging acoustic. Oh yeah, you are probably wondering what I named it. Well, "Keebler" of course.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole