How do you listen to music these days?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.

How do you listen to music these days?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:58 pm

FM radio stations
6%
Streaming service (sirius, pandora, iheart etc)
35%
Home stereo (tapes, CDs, records. etc.)
15%
Uploaded music to your ipod or phone
21%
Youtube vids (concerts, videos,)
24%
Whatever is playing in the elevator
No votes

Total votes: 34
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

You can vote twice.

Sirius in the car. I don't know how I ever lived without it.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I am basically a slave to Sirius/XM in the car, going from Hair Nation to Boneyard to Classic Rewind. I haven't listened to local FM in a very long time.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
glasshand
Reactions:

I have to admit that Spotify pretty much owns me. But what can I do? It's like the world's biggest music store, for a very reasonable price.

On the rare occasions I'm exposed to radio, my reaction is usually, "Huh, radio is still a thing?" Sirius/XM sound pretty cool, but I have pretty much no exposure to them, and since I don't have a car, I'm not sure they have much of a place in my life.
Spike
Reactions:

I use Amazon Music and Pandora a lot. FM on my drive to work in the mornings.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
honyock
Reactions:

Amazon Music or Spotify in my Bronco. Used to only do Amazon, but they ruined the ability to play downloaded stuff.

In my Mercedes I still have a 6 disc changer.

No radio in my old truck, the sound of freedom is my soundtrack, V8 power...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I have a premium YouTube subscription which includes the Youtube Music app so they are also a streaming option in addition to regular videos
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

I still copy cds to laptop and then put them on stick for my truck radio.I refuse to buy any digital music. I go to goodwill weekly looking for cds or dvds 1.00 each is hard to beat and there hard copys when I do eventually loose the laptop it happens. I do listen to youtube music favs list when online . I still have 500+ dvds to lol. Most people anymore dont have a dvd or cd player since cds are now almost obsolete and dvds are next but ill keep my cds for years to come.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I listen to most music downloaded to my studio computer (iTunes) and chose the closest thing, iPod. My studio playback is a stereo with subwoofer, which has audiophile amplifiers, tuned speakers and speaker management software (SoundID Reference), which creates an extremely detailed and pleasant listening experience. I've spent years tweaking to get it perfect (20Hz to 20kHz. My old ears seem to stop at 12kHz, so I have to rely on young listeners to describe the ultra-high frequency experience.

According to my computer I have so many songs on file, that I'd have to play them non-stop for over a month to get through them all.

YouTube is a staple and I like music videos and gear / production videos. Then comes FM radio in a car.

Perhaps someday, I'll discover streaming. Especially that I am thinking on releasing a record or two in the future.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

artandsoul wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:46 am I still copy cds to laptop and then put them on stick for my truck radio.I refuse to buy any digital music. I go to goodwill weekly looking for cds or dvds 1.00 each is hard to beat and there hard copys when I do eventually loose the laptop it happens. I do listen to youtube music favs list when online . I still have 500+ dvds to lol. Most people anymore dont have a dvd or cd player since cds are now almost obsolete and dvds are next but ill keep my cds for years to come.
Public libraries are a great resource for affordable music. And since you pay taxes to fund these libraries, they are technically yours to have, as long as you are a resident and do not distribute.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Partscaster
Reactions:

cds, and yutube
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Sirius mostly but I still tune into an FM station now and again. I swear though, the odds are 50/50 that when I hit the FM preset button there will be an Aerosmith song playing. Bluesville, Outlaw, Tom Petty Channel, Classic Vinyl, and Rewind are my usual "go to" channels on Sirius. At home I stream from youtube or Sirius to the home system. I do not subscribe to anything but Sirius.

As a side note, the band I am in still gets CD's made and the young folks think they are coasters.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

I'm a fan of Rick Beato (youtuber) and he opined that the streaming services are bad for music in that you listen to something and your put into an algorithm
and then silo'd into that style/genre of music. You never/rarely get exposed to anything new outside of your genre because of the algorithms...
jhull54
Reactions:

My commute is about 8 minutes, so generally don't turn the radio on, and might occasionally play a CD.

Longer trips--stream from phone to car audio system. At home, generally YouTube stream either on PC, or bluetooth to home stereo. Still listen to a good amount of CDs and LPs.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

For streaming, I got hooked into Sirius when I bought my first vehicle thusly equipped and I enjoy it for both music and sports talk. I also started utilzing Apple Music via a free trial, mostly so I could download ( and play offline ) music for long international flights where there is no wifi. I then ended up subscribing to Apple Music and shared it on our family plan, so I will probably cancel Sirus after the next 6 months are up.

At home I I do a fair amount of late night YouTube musical journey's with my IPad and headphones. You never know where you might end up!

I stil have a giant pile of Music CD's from back in the day and occasionally dust them off as we still have a pretty decent 2-channel stereo setup in the basement.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
glasshand
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 am I'm a fan of Rick Beato (youtuber) and he opined that the streaming services are bad for music in that you listen to something and your put into an algorithm
and then silo'd into that style/genre of music. You never/rarely get exposed to anything new outside of your genre because of the algorithms...
I understand that argument and I do have some agreement with it, but IMO it still beats the hell out of radio. On the rare occasions I listen to rock radio, 90% or more of what they're playing is the exact same stuff they were playing twenty years ago! I think that no matter what method you use to listen to music, it is incumbent on you to put in some of the work if you want to hear new stuff and expand your horizons. Even if you're going to a physical record store, you are at the mercy of what they choose to carry, and to find new music would require you to start flipping through the jazz section, or the world music section, or whatever, which is no different from choosing to seek that out on Spotify.