ShortWave Radio

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

So I bought one of these small emergeny radios. Has a flashlight, an LCD panel, solar panel for charging, and a built in generator/dynamo for charging in emergencies. As a radio, it's really great, excellent reception, good scanning capability, can use TF card for recording, brings me back to the old days as a tennager when I used to lay in bed late at night to listen to the WBAL broadcasting the Orioles games as I was a rabid fan back then. Been quite a few years since I had a portable radio and I am loving it.

Now to the issue, I have never had a shortwave capable device before and I thought it would be neat to play around with. Imagine my surprise when I was able to pick up dozens of stations last night and many were in English too ! Here is the problem...after listening to 2 perfect English speakers with Midwestern Accents debase capitalism telling me I simply don't understand why the 'state' is a better decision maker for life's choices than I can ever be, I did a little digging. Turns out that at least half the stations I tuned in to here in Thailand are fronts for what is known as China Radio International, effectively a propaganda company broadcasting in many languages all over the world via shortwave. I have a suspicion it's similiar to Voice of America but seemed very blunt and direct in their approach ("You don't actually own anything, you only think you do").

Kind of crestfallen but at least the FM band is pretty robust.
mozz
Reactions:

Used to listen to shortwave 25 years ago. You could get other countries versions of our news and politics. I would think any propaganda stations you would be able to figure out after a while. I have a few JRC branded shortwaves and i could pick up just about any worldwide stations with a long wire antenna. Haven't turned them on in years and hopefully they still work.

As a kid i used to get WOWO fort wayne indiana on AM at night here in Pennsylvania. I can remember listening to the "shadow knows" but i am dating myself here.
AGF refugee
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

When I was a kid growing up in Virginia, there was a little portable radio in my grandparent's basement where I slept when visiting on weekends. Late at night I could get WLS out of Chicago. IIRC, I think there were times when I could hear Wolfman Jack on that thing too. I remember thinking how magical is was to listen to a station so far away. Back then some stations had broadcast capability across the whole nation. I think they limit them now. Not sure I have ever listened to a shortwave radio.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
glasshand
Reactions:

About 30 years ago, I found an old cabinet radio on the street, dragged it home, and used it to listen to shortwave. It was kind of magical thinking that there's all of this stuff just floating through the ether around us that most people are never even aware of! I wonder if the internet has decreased interest in shortwave - it used to be one of the very few ways of reaching a truly global audience.
mickey
Reactions:

I have a couple of shortwave radios sitting on the table in front of me. One is general coverage and tunes basically from below the AM broadcast band to just below the lowest television band. It covers AM, FM (mono & stereo) SSB and CW. It is slightly larger than my fist and co$t approx $25. (Oops! I got mine about a year ago & they have about doubled in price since then!
https://swling.com/blog/2021/04/any-tho ... -receiver/

The other is an Amateur radio transceiver, It covers all the U.S. legal ham bands between 0 and 100 mHz, AM, FM, SSB, & CW. Is slightly smaller than a Websters Collegiate Dictionary (paperback) and co$t under $200.

Shortwave stuff has come a long way in recent years. A lot of the TRASH stuff from the 1960's is gone. I think when the old USSR died much of the garbage went away from the shortwave broadcast bands.
Yes, I've been a ham radio operator since the 1960's. :D
My late wife always swore she would NEVER marry a ham operator (Her father was one & she could not remember a time when he didn't have his radio equipment in the living room.)
73, Mickey
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

It's complicated, and as you say, likely manipulative. I try to listen to news from all over to get a better basis for identifying the actual truth of matters. That's more than most people have time for. I also think it's only a healthy habit for critical thinkers, not quite everyone. Still, multiple sources may help even those who go down rabbit holes to come back out. Unfortunately, I think the worst propaganda is getting much better at masking itself than ever before.
mickey
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:18 pm It's complicated, and as you say, likely manipulative. I try to listen to news from all over to get a better basis for identifying the actual truth of matters. That's more than most people have time for. I also think it's only a healthy habit for critical thinkers, not quite everyone. Still, multiple sources may help even those who go down rabbit holes to come back out. Unfortunately, I think the worst propaganda is getting much better at masking itself than ever before.
I could be wrong but I think about 98% of the propaganda is falling off the internet (as in "social media" ).
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm I could be wrong but I think about 98% of the propaganda is falling off the internet (as in "social media" ).
I think it's propagated pretty well everywhere possible, not just social media.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:18 pm It's complicated, and as you say, likely manipulative. I try to listen to news from all over to get a better basis for identifying the actual truth of matters. That's more than most people have time for. I also think it's only a healthy habit for critical thinkers, not quite everyone. Still, multiple sources may help even those who go down rabbit holes to come back out. Unfortunately, I think the worst propaganda is getting much better at masking itself than ever before.
I could be wrong but I think about 98% of the propaganda is falling off the internet (as in "social media" ).
Yes, why just the other day some guy on Facebook was saying his Gibson was 40% better than a MIJ Tokai. State sponsored lies is what it is ! 😂
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Just in case anyone is interested in a pretty cool little emergency radio here is the model: features are rechargeable removable 18605 Li battery, FM/AM/Weather/Shortwave bands, can play files off SD card, can act as Bluetooth speaker and answer call capability.

Charging options include, USB type C, built in solar panel, dynamo/generator.

3 level intensity flashlight and 3 level intensity LCD panel under solar cells. Emergency siren if needed, alarm function to wake you to radio.

Lots of reviews on YouTube.

I paid about 40 bucks. Pretty good value and very decent reception.
IMG_20240309_113009.jpg
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

So crazy radio has moved on the internet?
Even the creed stuff, recited by drones?
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:38 pm So crazy radio has moved on the internet?
Even the creed stuff, recited by drones?
Crazy Radio is everywhere...same crap being peddled on hundreds of frequencies all over world, but it's still fun to listen to.