Reverb Spam

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I'm a lefty, so to find the 2% of guitars on the market that have any chance of interesting me, I'll enter a search for "left handed", then sort by "Newest". That typically works out missing a few that were not so specific. But every few weeks some vendor decides to spam the whole site of Reverb with a product that gets in the way. This week it was over 6,000 individual listings of left handed pick guards from WD Music, so my first X number of pages looking for guitars looks like this:
WD 2.jpg
So first, kudos to them for finding a way to programatically create all those listings, but I'm not there for pick guards and never will be.

I've told Reverb how this makes looking for a lefty not worth using the site, and asked for an option to filter out specific sellers, but they've said no. I just can't page through 6,000 pick guards just to see what lefty guitars were added. Likewise I don't love the idea of searching multiple times to go only through 'electric guitars' first, 'acoustic guitars' second, 'bass guitars' third, etc.

I figure Reverb hates lefties. Anyone have a good way around this?
mickey
Reactions:

Yep. The only time I go to reverb is when someone here posts a link over there to an interesting sounding lefty. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

thought I did something wrong, basically that crap ruined my feed.

they need an option to weed out dealers (if they don't already have it.)
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Try just" left handed guitars and "lefty guitars", I've got both of those terms (as well as few others) in my saved searches and not a single pickguard shows up in my feed....
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
UrenragK
Reactions:

Sort by price, high to low
honyock
Reactions:

ended up going on my PC, saw which of my feed things were ruined by this and removed them. Seems mostly tied to left handed + Gibson and left handed + Explorer that I had in my feed list. As soon as I deleted those my feed went almost blank...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

I did get an interesting message about a guitar I sold almost a half decade ago, someone asking me if I could give them the contact info of the buyer because they wanted my old all black Agile AX-2.

uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Can't you just drill your search down to the guitars category? Or are all the accessories showing up in the wrong category to begin with? If so there's not much you can do to avoid it.

I still think Reverb is the best site for buying and selling gear by a long shot.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

UrenragK wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:28 am Sort by price, high to low
I always sort by Newest, because I don't want to see the 95% I've already seen.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:15 pm Can't you just drill your search down to the guitars category? Or are all the accessories showing up in the wrong category to begin with? If so there's not much you can do to avoid it.

I still think Reverb is the best site for buying and selling gear by a long shot.
Thing is that would be 4 searches for me the way Reverb arranges categories: electric, acoustic, bass, and folk instruments.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Reverb answered one of my questions about it saying they understand, and may add a category of guitar above the breakout categories of electric, acoustic, bass, folk instruments.

In that exchange, I also suggested they add negative search as an option and gave the current case as an example. If looking for lefties and want to avoid the listings from WD Music, you could then simply search for "left -WD" and it would work. I told them ebay works that way, and they said they'd put that under consideration. Hope they manage to implement the negative search.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:29 pm Try just" left handed guitars and "lefty guitars", I've got both of those terms (as well as few others) in my saved searches and not a single pickguard shows up in my feed....
I have to wonder how many listings that leaves out just because the listing itself doesn't actually say guitar. Doh! - just tried it, and it still brings up the WD pick guards.

Side note - I once accidentally found a lefty on GC's used site when I forgot to search for "left" and found a listing that didn't mark it as such. If I recall correctly it was discounted for having been listed a long time too. Alas there is no perfect.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:56 am Thing is that would be 4 searches for me the way Reverb arranges categories: electric, acoustic, bass, and folk instruments.
That would not be hard to do, the feed will combine them all into one once you are done.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
golem
Reactions:

You can filter out all those pickguards. The upper left lets you select only electric guitars for example. But, they actually have a sub category for just left handed guitars which I'll post below.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric ... eft-handed
mozz
Reactions:

If reverb goes the way Etsy goes, it will be downhill, for sellers anyway. Just listed a bunch of homemade masks my wife is making. They want .20c for each listing for promoting, extra for this that, advertising, discount for free shipping if your item is over $35 , blah blah. At this stage it's not far from the heels of eBay with the bullshit of charging you a fee on your shipping price. It seems they only want you to be a massive power seller.
AGF refugee
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:47 pm You can filter out all those pickguards. The upper left lets you select only electric guitars for example. But, they actually have a sub category for just left handed guitars which I'll post below.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric ... eft-handed
That's great, but I don't just shop electric. I'd have to do the same for acoustic, bass, and folk instruments to see what I might want. Wait, I think I see what you mean - do each of these searches individually then add them to my feed?
golem
Reactions:

[mention]BatUtilityBelt[/mention] You could add them to your feed or make a bookmark folder for them. For acoustics:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/acoustic ... eft-handed

Just trying to think of ways to give you options without having to experiment with search terms.