RIP Gary Rossington

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Lamf77
Reactions:

For those of us old enough to remember, Skynyrd owned the late 70s. I believe Gary was the last remaining member of original band. RIP.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

A good friend of mine I still jam with occasionally knew Gary. Once I asked him to get some pick for me and Gary sent me some picks with his name on them. I think he was the last original member still alive. RIP Gary.

I think I could make a case with myself that LS was my all time favorite band. Ronnie wrote incredible songs. Their story is riveting, if you have the time catch the documentaries on Tubi. I bought every record they released through the plane crash. I even have some of the stuff with Johnny at the helm. I have the box set with the early recordings of some of the songs. I think I passed it on to a young kid that was a huge fan.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

POSTED WRONG
jhull54
Reactions:

I was never a huge LS fan, but came to appreciate them later on in my 20s. I remember when I was about 13, watching a local HS talent show contest, and a teenage three-piece band got up and played "Gimme Three Steps" for their number in the show. It made a big impression.

One of the things I always thought was cool about Skynyrd was their loyalty to, and use of Peavey gear. It really gave their early stuff a unique sound.

When that plane went down, it was a huge shock. Elvis had just died about two months earlier, so 1977 was a tragic year in rock and roll. I remember the Dallas radio jocks were very upset about the plane crash, and talked about it on air for weeks, while they played LS music.
Lamf77
Reactions:

redman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:29 pm Artimus Pyle is still alive and going strong he joined LS in 1974 replacing Bob Burns and was in the plane crash with them he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the original band. He lives in Asheville now and is gigging Skynard music under the name "The Artimus Pyle Band" couple of my friends play in that band Jerry Lyda and Scott Raines his keyboard player Brad Durden played on an album "Winks" we did in the early 2000's.

Artimus is still alive, yes, but not performing in Lynyrd Skynyrd...Gary was the last orginal member in the band. Yes Medlocke was with them in the beginning, but not on any of the bands MCA recordings.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I was in the US Navy and stationed in Norfolk. I remember it was in the afternoon and I was walking into the TV lounge area and the report of the plane crash was on the news. I stood there in disbelief listening to the talking head. I was a huge at the time and they were certainly my favorite band at the that moment. I was truly shaken. I was 19 years old and nothing like that had ever happened in my life. Sure Elvis died earlier that year but I was too young to appreciate Elvis in that way. I was just beginning to take an interest in the guitar and listening to the guitar work on their records was a big part of the inspiration and motivation to learn to play.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Lamf77 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:21 pm
Artimus is still alive, yes, but not performing in Lynyrd Skynyrd...Gary was the last orginal member in the band. Yes Medlocke was with them in the beginning, but not on any of the bands MCA recordings.
Sorry didn't mean to cause a problem Just posted some info I didn't realize you meant last original member in the new LS so I took down the post.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Sad to hear, RIP Mr. Rossington.
Always liked LS a lot.
For the longest time I've been meaning to give a thorough listen to the Rossington Collins Band recordings, but never got around to it.
Like since the mid '80's.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
tonebender
Reactions:

I saw the Rossington Collins Band in concert and they were awesome. I never saw LS with Ronnie but did see them a couple of times with Johnny. I remember buying Johnny Van Zandt's first record and after listening to it, I concluded he should take Ronnie's place and keep it going. Soon after that is exactly what happened. He sounds a lot like his brother. Donnie not as much.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

RIP Gary. You brought me many great memories.

BTW, Ricky Medlock was a very early member of the band, but not an originating member and was not there for when Sknyrd got famous. He was in Blackfoot, which was a cool band in and of itself.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:00 am RIP Gary. You brought me many great memories.

BTW, Ricky Medlock was a very early member of the band, but not an originating member and was not there for when Sknyrd got famous. He was in Blackfoot, which was a cool band in and of itself.
I have a Bootleg recording he is on. Love Blackfoot.
tonebender
Reactions:

I remember hearing a cut off Blackfoot's debut album when I was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I went to the music store and bought the record. I took it home with me that weekend and played it for friends and they are blown away. It had never been played on the station there is that market so they had not heard it yet. Those were the days before internet and work traveled much slower. LOL Within a month they were charting and a big success.
notme
Reactions:

RIP legenday player Gary Rossington. I wore out a couple cassettes of the gold & platinum album and Street Survivor.

I knew i could come in here and read some interesting posts, thank you.