Help needed getting into New York - UPDATE original post

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

I know there are a few from NYC here like @stevebway and @glasshand

I live in PA and am taking Mrs. Pezident to a Broadway show (Shubert Theater) on Sat. the 18th. (to Kill a Mockingbird)
What is my best way to get there?

I'll be traveling 78 East....

I'm seeing maybe park car and get the train at Newark Penn Station and take it to Penn Station/34th street and then walk 10 blocks?
Or get on at Journal Square?

ANY help would be awesome....

UPDATE:

Parked at Newport garage (clean and it seemed like a safe neighborhood...mostly office buildings around) and took the PATH train in to 33rd Street. Cost $2.75/person each way.
Parking cost $20 for 12 hours
Hit the sidewalk at 33rd and walked across the street to Macy's.
Went in and saw some decorations......took a leak....

Walked up to Times Square which took about 10-15 min.
Ate at Los Tacos No.1. https://www.lostacos1.com/location/los- ... es-square/
Got in line at the Shubert. We were let in about 45 min before show time.
Our seats were in the upper balcony but it was still ok....

Play was really good. It was my first time seeing a Broadway show.
Play ran from 2-4:30ish.

We got out and it was dark so we walked back up to Times Square....
Then walked to Patzeria Pizza https://www.patzeriaperfectpizzanewyork.com/

Some tweaker walked in and was asking which slice was the freshest...That seemed to piss off the guys behind the counter....

Ate our pizza and then walked to Radio City Music Hall and then turned the corner and walked to the big Xmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza.

After that, we started heading back to 33rd St.

We stopped at Wafels and Dinges and had an overpriced waffel......https://wafels.com/

Stopped at Macy's again on the way back and made a #2 :o :lol: No use in holding it for the entire ride home.....And the restrooms were not bad....
Made it to the PATH...It was much more crowded on the ride back.
Into the car and home by 9:30....just in time to see the Patriots lose to the Colts.

THANKS for all your help.....It was a tolerable experience.

JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

I live in upstate NY, and we’ve been in NYC several times recently. I suppose taking the path train into Penn station would work. The walk would probably be enjoyable up to your show. We have been driving in via the Lincoln tunnel. We prefer to avoid the GWB George Washington bridge. For parking we use an app called Spot Hero. It’s a very useful time/money saver where you can reserve your parking ahead of time at a garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
mickey
Reactions:

@stevebway has not been on since 15 July.
Gandalf the Intonationer
ID10t
Reactions:

I haven't lived in NYC for over 20 years, but you might want to look at parking in NJ and taking the PATH train. See where it converges with the subway and take that closer to your theater.
We go to as much theater as we can and I always bring a spare bandana, last weekend Mrs10T found that masks are good tear catchers.
glasshand
Reactions:

I would definitely not recommend trying to drive into Manhattan - and wait until you see what parking costs. :mrgreen:

The PATH to Herald Square is indeed probably your best option. I would try and drive in as close as possible, to Newport or so, simply on the grounds that driving is more pleasant than the longest possible PATH ride, but that probably depends on what traffic is like and what parking is like in the Newport area.

Alternately, I guess you could take a ferry, but...why, really?

If you're up for a half-mile walk, it's a very reasonable, easy half mile from Herald Square to the Shubert. If you're not up for that walk, the N, Q, or W trains will get you closer. You will have to do a little walking anyway, but hey, that's New York for you.
Morrison
Reactions:

The wife and I always stay in East Rutherford, NJ when we go to NYC. There’s a bus right in front of the hotel that takes you into the city. 5-10 min ride and then you can get anywhere in the city with public transportation.
thepezident
Reactions:

Morrison wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 pm The wife and I always stay in East Rutherford, NJ when we go to NYC. There’s a bus right in front of the hotel that takes you into the city. 5-10 min ride and then you can get anywhere in the city with public transportation.
My guitar player who works in Manhattan claims that traffic is insane even on Saturdays.

@glasshand
What NJ station (in your opinion) is safest to park at?

Edit: Looks like theres a parking garage right at Newport. Parking seems to be about $20 for 8.5 hours....
Then I can buy a 2 trip PATH ticket correct?
And take the PATH to 33rd St (Herald Square)?
Then walk about 10 blocks north-ish to the Shubert?

I've only ever driven to Weil Cornell Hospital for my son about 5-6 times...It's taken 10 years off my life every time....
glasshand
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:39 pm @glasshand
What NJ station (in your opinion) is safest to park at?
I don't really drive much in Jersey, and I haven't been spending a lot of time there in the past two years for obvious reasons :-/ but the Newport area is really safe, Hoboken and Grove Street should be fine too although I have a feeling there's less parking in the Grove Street area.
Edit: Looks like theres a parking garage right at Newport. Parking seems to be about $20 for 8.5 hours....
Then I can buy a 2 trip PATH ticket correct?
And take the PATH to 33rd St (Herald Square)?
Then walk about 10 blocks north-ish to the Shubert?

I've only ever driven to Weil Cornell Hospital for my son about 5-6 times...It's taken 10 years off my life every time....
Yup, your directions are correct there.

I notice this bit on https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/fares.html
The PATH 2-Trip MetroCard may be purchased with cash only from dispensers at all New Jersey stations except for Newport station, as well as from dispensers at World Trade Center, 33rd St, 9th St, Christopher St, and downtown 14th St and 23rd St stations in New York. This card is non-refillable. One trip is deducted from the card with each use and is only valid for use on PATH.
If you go to Newport, you wouldn't be able to get the 2-trip card, but you could purchase single ride tickets to go to NYC, and then single ride tickets to go back to Jersey. As for why they don't sell those at Newport, who knows...PATH is weird like that. When you get on the PATH, be careful that you're getting on the right train: they run multiple trains on the same track and sometimes the PA announcements are wrong (but the sign on the train itself is always right).
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Steve is fine and you may be able to catch his act if he is playing while you are there.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
thepezident
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 am Steve is fine and you may be able to catch his act if he is playing while you are there.
I'm FaceTube friends with him.....maybe I'll connect with him that way.
Being in the city makes me feel....ehhhhh...like I want to get out as a soon as possible...
Maybe this time will be different....

Thanks everyone all for the help!
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Just in case you need to get out safely:

tobijohn
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm [...
Being in the city makes me feel....ehhhhh...like I want to get out as a soon as possible...
I lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn for the better part of the 90s and while there's an enthralling and captivating energy vibe there like no other big city I've ever been in, I know exactly what you mean...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
jtcnj
Reactions:

Have a good time, but please be aware and safe.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
thepezident
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 pm Have a good time, but please be aware and safe.
My head will be on a swivel on the train...
Don't jinx me but we are going during the day...
I guess on the way home it will be dark....
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm
jtcnj wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:45 pm Have a good time, but please be aware and safe.
My head will be on a swivel on the train...
Don't jinx me but we are going during the day...
I guess on the way home it will be dark....
If you run into any trouble just ask for Snake Plissken

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 am Steve is fine and you may be able to catch his act if he is playing while you are there.
Quite unfortunately Broadway Steve has apparently tested positive for the C-19 over the past few days....his symptoms are mild however and he is recovering in a safe place (not hospital). Good vibes sent out to our old friend.
thepezident
Reactions:

Update in the original post
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:24 am Update in the original post
Took a leak
Ate Tacos
Ate Pizza
Took a dump

And didn't let a Broadway play or Macy's interfere with any of it..I'd call that a stupendously successful day in NYC !
glasshand
Reactions:

It was a tolerable experience.
That's our motto here... "We aim to make your experience tolerable." :lol:
jtcnj
Reactions:

Glad you enjoyed the show and made the trip without incident.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
thepezident
Reactions:

@Tonray's Ghost - Perfect summation of the day
@glasshand Put that on a billboard as you enter from all ports
@jtcnj Thanks pal....