Something to do where you are from?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
mickey
Reactions:

This is the area where I was born & raised.

Please show us something the average people do where you are from. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
Chocol8
Reactions:

The best thing you can do where I am from is to leave!
Mossman
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:08 pm The best thing you can do where I am from is to leave!
Dammit... You beat me to it! When I saw the thread title, I just thought: "leave".
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
ID10t
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:08 pm The best thing you can do where I am from is to leave!
Ditto and done.
bleys21
Reactions:

Lol, me too, although I'm too dumb to leave!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Boy, lots of stuff to do here in Steamboat - and most of it's free! Good gear is spendy, though. But buy nice or buy twice.

Here's a four-minute top-to-bottom run with 'ol Iz in real time. She's almost 13 and can make the 20 minute walk up but not hustle back down anymore. Again, the sled run down the hill is in real time but spliced from three runs throughout the weekend because of camera issues (operator error). 'Love my dog. Love her. Love her. Love her...

P.S. I kayaked and guided on a lot of those rivers down there. French Broad, Ocoee, Chatooga (my fav), Natahala. So much so that I was asked to give up my graduate assistantship because I was never in class. 'Moved to Steamboat a week later.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Milkman
Reactions:

The Diefenbunker museum is very cool here. It’s an underground nuclear fallout bunker located just outside Ottawa, named after Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. It’s like like a time machine back to the height of the Cold War.

http://diefenbunker.ca/en/
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
ID10t
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 am The Diefenbunker museum is very cool here. It’s an underground nuclear fallout bunker located just outside Ottawa, named after Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. It’s like like a time machine back to the height of the Cold War.

I'd go there.
Chocol8
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 am The Diefenbunker museum is very cool here. It’s an underground nuclear fallout bunker located just outside Ottawa, named after Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. It’s like like a time machine back to the height of the Cold War.

Diefenbaker was the asshat who cancelled the Avro Arrow program after most of the money was spent, then ordered everything destroyed for reasons that defy reasonable explanation. His actions destroyed the Canadian aerospace industry and scattered what had been a pretty impressive collection of engineering talent.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Lots of things to do here in Wisconsin, part of the reason I still live here. One of the few activities we are well known for that I don't partake in is drinking.

We have a fantastic system of state, county and municipal parks. The great lakes border us to the north and east and the mighty Mississippi on the west, and there are a gazillion lakes and rivers/streams in between. Ethnically we're a lot more diverse than one might think too so there's lots of good food and culture going on.

Of course we do have Milwaukee which has a lot of history too but some not so great things going on you've probably seen in the news.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
mickey
Reactions:

Lake Woebegone is in Wisconsin isn't it?
Gandalf the Intonationer
mozz
Reactions:

I've driven out there looking for it but ended up getting lost, this was before GPS and even paper maps. Heard there was great fishing. Or was this Minnesota?
AGF refugee
Houblues
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:57 pm Lake Woebegone is in Wisconsin isn't it?
"Where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." :mrgreen:
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:57 pm Lake Woebegone is in Wisconsin isn't it?
It's actually a fictional town created by Garrison Keillor as the backdrop for his radio Show "Prairie Home Companion", which ironically was delivered from the only major metropolitan area in MN. He would never answer the question of whether it was based off an actual town, but there are hundreds in both MN and WI that would fit the bill.

I do remember my Dad listening to that show, and while it seems antiquated, small town life around these parts is still a lot the same.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Partscaster
Reactions:

Big mountains and lots of forest and water. So hike, bike, , ski, kayak, .... play guitar.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
OMB
Reactions:

Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
honyock
Reactions:

Fry an egg on the asphalt this past week...110+ every day this whole week through tomorrow.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:25 pm Fry an egg on the asphalt this past week...110+ every day this whole week through tomorrow.
I feel for ya!
Here we are having sorta the opposite problem as it is only about 80 but we are forecast to get upwards of a foot of rain today.
Just trying to stay dry! :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Something to do in Omaha? That's a tough one.

It is the birthplace of Gerald R. Ford, but luckily he moved away before doing any damage here.

The music scene is not awesome - we have a lot of great musicians but they're not supported by venues here.

We do have a pretty good zoo, decent bike trails, and there are some very good steak joints.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Diefenbaker was the asshat who cancelled the Avro Arrow program after most of the money was spent, then ordered everything destroyed for reasons that defy reasonable explanation. His actions destroyed the Canadian aerospace industry and scattered what had been a pretty impressive collection of engineering talent.
Fun fact: my grandmother worked on the Arrow.

Other fun fact: the plane was massively over budget and they still hadn't figured out how to arm the thing. They still should have kept going, but the point is moot.

On thing I managed to do around here was visit the institute for Aeronautical Research at the National Research Council here in Ottawa. They have a couple of the destroyed Iroquois engines just sitting there. I was a co-op student writing for the newsletter at the time, and got a good story out of it.

Where I grew up, one can go to the Norseman Festival (https://www.norsemanfestival.on.ca/ where they do all sorts of fun stuff). Then there is great fishing and hunting. Aside from that, you can get 'faced and complain about the cold. Brings back memories.....
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Chocol8
Reactions:

They could have slowed, suspended, or stopped the project. Destroying everything was completely unnecessary and a waste.
golem
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

It depends on how much money you have.

Money no object - Lots of cool stuff to do....Mts, ocean, ATL, lakes, sports, the arts, etc.

Blue collar - some things to do, just not as fancy...or as good

Poor - Nothing
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

golem wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:44 pm
The front of that video looks like me....laying on my back.....with my pecker sticking up.....LOL
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
jhull54
Reactions:

Outside of Austin, Denton definitely is near the top of the list for music scenes in the state of Texas. The University of North Texas churns out pros from their music department every year, and if you see a band here, they are almost always stellar players and perform in every genre imaginable.

https://www.discoverdenton.com/music/