Where? Why?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:59 am
peskypesky wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 am I've never been to Idaho, Wyoming or Utah....that's where I'd head.

We lived in Idaho for about a year & have traveled all over Utah & Wyoming.
Idaho & Utah both impressed, Wyoming not so much. :)
The variety of terrain in Idaho & Utah will cause your jaw to drop. :)
my cousin and aunt live in Cheyenne. I have been meaning to go visit. I'd have a free base to explore from.
Banned by Momo
Raindog
Reactions:

My wants are simple. First, I'd plan the trip for March 2021. I'd take off from Anniston, AL to Titusville, FL and see how things have changed since I last lived there. Take a nice tour of the Cape.

Maybe visit Playalinda Beach.

Go see the childhood home.

aa.jpg

Then, it's off to Lakeland, FL for the main reason for the trip. Two weeks at Spring Training! Hell, maybe three.

After that, it's time for a nice, leisurely drive to Key West with a stop in Key Largo. Maybe go pet some of Hemingway's 6-toed cats (or their descendants.

On the drive home, stop off at the Dog Garlits Drag Racing Museum in Ocala.

adad
Reactions:

I have two friends moving to the Florida panhandle near the beach. The both talk about it like it is the promise land. I'd like to go visit when it is hot to see if I would melt. The one time I went to Miami in August, it was nothing like the hot I have ever felt in Southern California.
mickey
Reactions:

adad wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:18 am I have two friends moving to the Florida panhandle near the beach. The both talk about it like it is the promise land. I'd like to go visit when it is hot to see if I would melt. The one time I went to Miami in August, it was nothing like the hot I have ever felt in Southern California.
Many of those of us who live in the Florida Panhandle think it is the "Promised Land" :)

The older I get the harder it is to tolerate cold. Here in the Panhandle we only get three seasons:
4 months of spring, 4 months of summer & 4 months of fall. :)
Overall it is a poor area, as such it is a low co$t of living area.
We retired here in 1998 from Nashville TN and the average family income here today is about
half what the average percapita income was in Nashville in 1998. The result being it is cheaper
to live here than in much of the U.S.

What I really like is that when you get away from the beach it gets really rural in a hurry.
I like being able to walk the dog without seeing another human or hearing noises not made
by birds or insects.

The worst part about living here is the number of snowbirds we get in the cooler months.
Gandalf the Intonationer
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am St. Augustine
I've like St. Augustine since I was a kid. I love the mish-mash of history and culture. Especially love the mix of culture when it comes to the restaurants!
bleys21
Reactions:

I'd head up the west coast to Vancouver (eh!), then across Canada to Philipsburg, Quebec to go back "home" where my grandparents were born, and my dad's family all grew up. Spend a little time in Montreal, then down the east coast and hit all the stops along the way: Boston, Philly, NY(maybe), DC, then head home across the US...
peskypesky
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:12 pm Route 66. The whole damn thing. Hopefully there's still a few fun things to do along the way.
speaking of Route 66, I just saw this photo the other day:

Tulsa, OK, 1947
Banned by Momo
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:00 am
JeffBeck wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:12 pm Route 66. The whole damn thing. Hopefully there's still a few fun things to do along the way.
speaking of Route 66, I just saw this photo the other day:

Tulsa, OK, 1947
It figures that they're not wearing masks in Tulsa...
Kirobhan
Reactions:

Well if limited to driving not much point for me. We can leave the house and circle the island in about five hours.

We did just visit the southernmost point in the 50 states last week though. Don’t fall in, the next stop is Tahiti.

29BA7B0D-8F21-4807-AB44-F67C3CB7BCCF.jpeg
mickey
Reactions:

Kirobhan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 am Well if limited to driving not much point for me. We can leave the house and circle the island in about five hours.

In your case I think we need to make an exception on the driving part. :)

Money/time no object where would you like to go and what to do/see??? :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
SamIV
Reactions:

Maybe Nashville soon. The wife and I enjoy it. And it’s close to both of us. Drive for me while working out of town and flying for her.
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:25 pm
I've like St. Augustine since I was a kid. I love the mish-mash of history and culture. Especially love the mix of culture when it comes to the restaurants!
You hit the nail on the head! me and the wife are too old for swimming in the oceans......but everything else in SA is right up our alley!
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm
JeffBeck wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm
mickey wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Do you remember the old TV series with the two guys in a Vette (NEW Vette every year!)
I know about the series, but I've never actually seen any of it. I'm going to assume it was sponsored in part by chevrolet?
Probably, but never overtly. If memory serves it was sponsored by a cigarette brand.
Most things were back then or Geratol, Antacids, etc.
L&M or maybe Pall Mall. Don't forget Kookie from Route 66....I think Chevy payrolled the Dinah Shore Show...."See the USA...in you Chevrolet"
~Jim~

Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:56 am
Why St. Augustine?
I just like everything about it. Mainly the food/restaurants. Don't see that many teens/collegers. Seem the Flaglers all go somewhere else. My wife can get us ocean front rooms for INCREDIBLY low prices (course she can do that anywhere). But love the history....almost like living on island time...easy to find your way around....and it's only about 5 hours from my house. We've already booked a week early October. We try to go in fall and/or spring. Summer and winter are for the mountains which I fucking hate, but the wife loves.
~Jim~

mickey
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 pm
mickey wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm
JeffBeck wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm

I know about the series, but I've never actually seen any of it. I'm going to assume it was sponsored in part by chevrolet?
Probably, but never overtly. If memory serves it was sponsored by a cigarette brand.
Most things were back then or Geratol, Antacids, etc.
L&M or maybe Pall Mall. Don't forget Kookie from Route 66....I think Chevy payrolled the Dinah Shore Show...."See the USA...in you Chevrolet"
Kookie was from "77 Sunset Strip" :)

Gandalf the Intonationer
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

Ohhh, you ARE right. Damn, I'm getting too old to remember stuff
~Jim~

OMB
Reactions:

pratteman wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 am
One of my favorite places
St. Augustine is cool except in the summer then it is Hot!
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I did a pretty good one two years ago (Colorado to northern Idaho). Any trip over mountain passes, forested areas and river valleys is ok with me so noodling around the Sierras, Rockies and Cascades would be possibiities. Those could be day trips if you pushed, but I would prefer to stop and car camp at a few places along the way.

P.S. I saw one of these in town last weekend. Maybe you guys should consider this for your road trip. I'll opt for something a bit less conspicuous.

Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
fatjack
Reactions:

Maserati Quattroporte GTS. Down to Florida to catch 10 cross country with side trips into the panhandle , Mobile up to McComb MS,NOLA and the Basin in LA. Then it's Houston, Galveston, Corpus, and San Antonio. Blast through west Texas.Sidetrips to anything interesting between Texas and California. Up the coast to Canada and drive east looking for Sasquatch and coy-wolves. Piddle around New England before heading to the Cheasapeake area then the Outer Banks before heading home. Why the car because I'd love to take a high end sports luxury car for a long drive and the route because ther should be fun and interesting things on that route.
UrenragK
Reactions:

Road trip to the Nurburgring, a few laps, and enjoy the scenery.

Been a few years since my last blast there!
peskypesky
Reactions:

UrenragK wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 pm Road trip to the Nurburgring, a few laps, and enjoy the scenery.

my father did some laps at Nurburgring in his Porsche 356. I was there to witness. :)

He drove in this....but most of the driving was done by Henri Greder, a professional racer:
Banned by Momo
UrenragK
Reactions:

[mention]peskypesky[/mention] Awesome!
mickey
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:47 pm
UrenragK wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 pm Road trip to the Nurburgring, a few laps, and enjoy the scenery.

my father did some laps at Nurburgring in his Porsche 356. I was there to witness. :)
From the passenger seat, I hope!
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:51 pm From the passenger seat, I hope!
Most of the time, my father was the navigator. But Henri did let my father take a few laps now and then.

I learned a LOT about driving fast from Henri, because once they were on the highways, I had to try to keep up with them in the support car. I was driving a Lancia and really learned how to go into and out of curves and how to use the clutch to get those RPMs cranked.

I think this is the car I was driving:
Banned by Momo
UrenragK
Reactions:

My track car, and some of those that I’ve driven on track.

Last trip was 37 cars that I led across Europe to the track, and drove many of them on track :)
Attachments
515C7C63-B5D6-4630-BE39-63E3DCE3CA40.jpeg
65A95717-E272-45D9-9C8E-7BCC30DE7B1A.jpeg
597BDC78-2AAC-4D16-8E86-3BA48C7D7794.jpeg