On A Mission To Bring hbowner/vesa Back Here

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Not too long ago [mention]SalteeDog[/mention] mentioned the Harley Benton forum and how he saw hbowner/vesa over there. I had forgotten that there was a Harley Benton forum.

So this morning I went over to The Harley Benton Club and joined the forum. Please don't think of it as cheating on ya'll or anything like that. I mean, you're still my main thing. It's just that I do have quite a few Bentons, and I have recorded a lot of stuff with them, and it might be interesting to look around over there.

I joined as toomanycats and used the same avatar as here. In the process of making my first post over there, an introduction type of thing, I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "Will he recognize me?" Of course I mean by "he" hbowner, vesa, the legend himself. And what could I say to him? What I do know is that if I could somehow get him to come join the new AGF, then life would be better, more interesting, more . . . I don't know . . . complete? There seems a circularity to it, a need to resolve unfinished business.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Manco53
Reactions:

Who thumbs downed this? Lol
toomanycats
Reactions:

Manco53 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:36 am Who thumbs downed this? Lol
I think [mention]mickey[/mention] might have had some friction with hbowner at the very end when he requested to be banned.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 am
I think @mickey might have had some friction with hbowner at the very end when he requested to be banned.
No, I always felt y'all were taking advantage of a mentally retarded guy & it never seemed right to me.
Just my 2 cents.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Houblues
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:26 am What I do know is that if I could somehow get him to come join the new AGF, then life would be better, more interesting, more . . . I don't know . . . complete? There seems a circularity to it, a need to resolve unfinished business.
Did you do it at an auspicious time per your horoscope? :)
toomanycats
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:20 am
toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 am
I think @mickey might have had some friction with hbowner at the very end when he requested to be banned.
No, I always felt y'all were taking advantage of a mentally retarded guy & it never seemed right to me.
Just my 2 cents.
In all seriousness, I don't believe he is mentally impaired. I think he's a middle aged, crusty, bitter, acerbic, passionate, opinionated guitar player whose language barrier and/or genuine gift for turning memorable phrases made him one of the most celebrated members of the old forum, and this even though he was there for a relatively short time.

Maybe others were laughing at him, but not me . . . and I'll tell you why: I too am a middle aged, crusty, bitter, acerbic, passionate, opinionated guitar player, and I could only hope to one day have a gift for language such that people are talking about me wistfully years after I leave a place.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

The ultimate Milk Carton kid...

There is something "full circle" about this, and I fully support you in your quest. I joined the Harley Benton Forum Club/Forum, years ago, and I think I made one post. If Hbowner/Vesa is indeed there, he needs to be lured back here at all costs. We need to entice him with promises of babes, beer and BBQ, along with sympathy for divorced middle-aged Swedish men and Epiphones with "f*cked up sh*t headstocks".
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
toomanycats
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:02 pm The ultimate Milk Carton kid...

There is something "full circle" about this, and I fully support you in your quest. I joined the Harley Benton Forum Club/Forum, years ago, and I think I made one post. If Hbowner/Vesa is indeed there, he needs to be lured back here at all costs. We need to entice him with promises of babes, beer and BBQ, along with sympathy for divorced middle-aged Swedish men and Epiphones with "f*cked up sh*t headstocks".
Yes, we must formulate a plane. Offer him his own subform, the hbowner zone or something like that. It'll be like a combination of the Morton Downey Junior show, the Greek oracle, and Bethlem Royal Hospital, and the best bbq joint you've ever been to.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:02 pm The ultimate Milk Carton kid...

Yes, we must formulate a plane. Offer him his own subform, the hbowner zone or something like that. It'll be like a combination of the Morton Downey Junior show, the Greek oracle, and Bethlem Royal Hospital, and the best bbq joint you've ever been to.
Wonderful, he would make an excellent honorary figurehead for the "HBZone", "HB Bistro" or the "Sellery Café", much like the oft forgotten Swedish royal family. BTW, I rather enjoyed the frenetic energy of the Morton Downey Jr, Show when I was younger! Back when you could chain smoke on TV.
fatjack
Reactions:

He was before my time but I'd like to see him here. And let's face it english as a second language going through google translate is not going to make anyone seem like a genius.Between the Vernacular and slang of american canadian and british english computer translate sucks.I'd laugh at the odd phrase but not at him, I worked with hispanice for a few years and my spanglish would get laughs. They'd tell what I really said vs what I meant.
fullonshred
Reactions:

The No Profanity thing may be a deal breaker for him. I wish him well, wherever he is. He was entertaining, whether an actual person or an online persona

I thought there was mention of a serious car wreck at some point that may have had lingering effects. I may be mis-remembering though.
NickintheStates
Reactions:

I for one am on board with this noble quest.
zisme
Reactions:

i can't imagine what more can be drawn from that particular well...
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
peskypesky
Reactions:

I want him here! He cracked me up.
Banned by Momo
Believer
Reactions:
Gearlist: Too many amps; Too many guitars; Too little time...

Loved his enthusiasm! Bring back hbowner!
mighty_duck
Reactions:

To lure him here, the first step would be to open a Harley Benton appreciation thread.
image.png
fatjack
Reactions:

:D Perhaps it could be a lefty Harley Benton thread.Or debating flipping righties to lefties. with Cats playing the righties.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I'd trade two 'hornblower' s for one Scott Grove
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 pm I'd trade two 'hornblower' s for one Scott Grove
Imagine Scott Grove here? I know he avoids social media commentary, but that would be something!
fatjack
Reactions:

;) :) Scott Grove would be ok as long as I can put him on ignore. He's the Bill O'Reilly of guitars.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I am vehemently opposed to horn blower or whatever his name is from coming here. We've already killed Tonray let's not kill Tonray's ghost too
honyock
Reactions:

I think the highlights of HBowner was better than the actual presence of HBowner...

He was more like an cheesy 70s/80s comedy with a few chuckles, look at the goofy foreign guy, hahaha...

I fear for those fans of him it would only be like a bad sequel.

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

honyock wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:00 pm I think the highlights of HBowner was better than the actual presence of HBowner...

He was more like an cheesy 70s/80s comedy with a few chuckles, look at the goofy foreign guy, hahaha...

I fear for those fans of him it would only be like a bad sequel.
I would agree with this. He was much more of an annoyance than a welcome guest. He's kind of like that road trip you went on with the family and every possible thing that could go wrong did except maybe one or two highlights. It's much better to remember the few good times than experience the rest of the crap all over again.

And in reality, he's not the kind of person that you " bring back". Language barriers aside, he definitely had some troll blood in his veins, and those kind of people usually move around from place to place on their own volition. And IMHO, part of the reason AGF is such a good community is that we don't allow people like him to stay if they get out of hand.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
SalteeDog
Reactions:

I doubt he'll come back but you never know. He seems like one of those guys who moves from one obsession to another perpetually. I suspect he's into growing Geraniums now. But you never know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mickey
Reactions:

SalteeDog wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:55 pm I doubt he'll come back but you never know. He seems like one of those guys who moves from one obsession to another perpetually. I suspect he's into growing Geraniums now. But you never know.
Geraniums? Don't you mean "sellery?" :)
Gandalf the Intonationer