Back in FL

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

For the AGF florida crew:

I've been travelling down here to your neck of the woods on a monthly basis now for work and back again this week in Fernandina Beach ( way up north! ). I have been trying to find local places that might offer some good music or maybe even a good guitar shop to check out but striking out so far. Looks like St Augustine has an amphitheater of sorts that has good shows from time to time.

Any good suggestions for stuff to do that I can realistically get to on a weeknight after work?
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Floridian FX
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:39 am For the AGF florida crew:

I've been travelling down here to your neck of the woods on a monthly basis now for work and back again this week in Fernandina Beach ( way up north! ). I have been trying to find local places that might offer some good music or maybe even a good guitar shop to check out but striking out so far. Looks like St Augustine has an amphitheater of sorts that has good shows from time to time.

Any good suggestions for stuff to do that I can realistically get to on a weeknight after work?
Oh my, that might as well be Georgia.......St. Augustine is a very cool town, but I haven't been there for probably 20 years.

Jekyl Island is cool if you head the other way, but that is about 70 miles.

@RiverDog lives up there, he will probably be of more help than I am.
uwmcscott
Reactions:

Floridian FX wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:15 am
Oh my, that might as well be Georgia.......St. Augustine is a very cool town, but I haven't been there for probably 20 years.

Yep, the temporary office I use while I am here looks out across the Amelia river and you can basically see Georgia from here. My hotel is right across the street from Fort Clinch state park, I took a short hike there last time I was here and will probably explore more tonight.
mickey
Reactions:

Floridian FX wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:15 am

I believe @riverdog is up in middle Alabama these days.

EDIT= I maybe wrong, It could be @raindog who lives in mid Alabama these days!
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

How long will you be here? I have been to Fernandina Beach many times. You are close to Georgia, I think the only other between there and the state line is the rest stop or Agriculture inspection station. I'd be more than willing to come up that way for a visit on one of your trips. I have plenty of time these days. I could hop on My Harley and ride right up for a meet up and dinner. Just let me know.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mickey
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 pm How long will you be here? I have been to Fernandina Beach many times. You are close to Georgia, I think the only other between there and the state line is the rest stop or Agriculture inspection station. I'd be more than willing to come up that way for a visit on one of your trips. I have plenty of time these days. I could hop on My Harley and ride right up for a meet up and dinner. Just let me know.
Scott, If you can take Jeff up on this, DO IT! You'll find Jeff a cool & interesting person! I've been lucky enough to break bread with Jeff a few times & consider myself lucky!

Mickey
Gandalf the Intonationer
jtcnj
Reactions:

+1 on the St. Augustine Amphitheatre. We were in FL in April and saw Styx with Don Felder as the opening band.

It was great. It is outdoor, with a tent type roof over much of the seating.
The farther / bleacher seats we were in are open to the weather though.

They have nearby remote parking lots and shuttle buses to and from, all free.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

St Augustine is an awesome place to vacation. The beach is great, many fantastic restaurants, cool shopping district and lots of interesting sites to see. Now I am wanting to plan a trip there. My wife's family had this thing where when each of the siblings turned 50 that could pick a destination and the rest of the family had to come to celebrate the birthday. My wife picked St Augustine. I was surprised because the had never even mentioned it to me. We had a great visit.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tonebender
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 pm Scott, If you can take Jeff up on this, DO IT! You'll find Jeff a cool & interesting person! I've been lucky enough to break bread with Jeff a few times & consider myself lucky!
Mickey
@mickey Thanks for the kind words Mickey, and the feeling is mutual. Our meets have been very special to me. And you are always driving the coolest of cars!
uwmcscott
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 pm
tonebender wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 pm How long will you be here? I have been to Fernandina Beach many times. You are close to Georgia, I think the only other between there and the state line is the rest stop or Agriculture inspection station. I'd be more than willing to come up that way for a visit on one of your trips. I have plenty of time these days. I could hop on My Harley and ride right up for a meet up and dinner. Just let me know.
Scott, If you can take Jeff up on this, DO IT! You'll find Jeff a cool & interesting person! I've been lucky enough to break bread with Jeff a few times & consider myself lucky!

Mickey
Yes, this is on my "do to" list for sure - Jeff and I have traded some gear over the years and shared some good virtual conversations but connecting in person is a must some day. @tonebender - this ended up turning into a grinder of a week unfortunately - and a short one to boot. I got to JAX and the hotel here in Fernandina about Midnight on Sunday night and fly out at 6:15am thursday as I have to back to WI to leave for another trip! I will in all likelihood be down here once a month for up to a week at a time as my newly hired counterpart that was sharing the visits with me ended up leaving. And then the guy that he was helping here also put in his 2 weeks notice so now 3 times the fun for me :-)

I was planning on driving down to St Augustine tonight but ended up having to work late so just headed to the beach and had an awesome blackened grouper sandwich, very tasty. The only live music I found so far was a guy playing a saxohpone at Salt Life on the patio - not exactly my kind of tunes but he was very good.

So bottom line, thanks for all the tips. Next trip I will plan out better so I can take a day off and let you know Jeff. Or anyone else who wants to jump on the back of your Harley and ride along ;-)
RiverDog
Reactions:

Dang sorry I missed this. I posted about The Amp in this thread a while back: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3680&p=46387#top . It's a great place to see shows. Are you still working in FL sometimes?
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
uwmcscott
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:12 am

Dang sorry I missed this. I posted about The Amp in this thread a while back: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3680&p=46387#top . It's a great place to see shows. Are you still working in FL sometimes?
Thanks for the link, i will definitely check it out next time. I do still get down to FL on a somewhat regular basis for work, it was about once a month for a while but has tapered off a little bit. I much prefer coming down in the fall/winter when it's cold up here :-)