Favorite Beer poll

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

There is a wood oven pizza joint nearby that has a pretty cool beer set up. Basically they scan your CC then give you a bracelet. They have a wall of beer and wine taps (mostly beer). You hold pass the bracelet close to a tap and you can draw some of that beer. You actually purchase by the ounce so you can sample or try all different kinds without buying a whole bottle/can/pint. They have popular national brands and a bunch of foo foo micro brewery offerings. The pizzas are all individual size and really really good. Not much of an atmosphere in general, pretty much like a fast food joint. Go to the counter and order then they bring the pizza. The beer thing is pretty cool though.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
bleys21
Reactions:

I'm a homebrewer, and I like to think I make some pretty decent stuff :-) I compare to the local brewery here...I figure if I can get close to their level, I'm doing pretty damn good.

In fact I'm taking Friday off to brew my version of the Zombie Dust beer I like so much...but the waiting is going to be torture lol.

PoodlesAgain wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm Any homebrewers around?
Some of these folks make stunning stuff - used to hang out on a HB forum, and our local meets - five all-grain kettles going at the same time in the yard, sampling previous brews, busy day!
Back to the thread: I try to drink local, even though some stray form the classics and we end up with blueberries, citrus, pumpkin... gimme a well made wheat or pilsner, that's not that damn difficult.

Beer trivia: Your grandpas (or great_) would tell you about the times when local breweries owned ballparks in metro areas.
SamIV
Reactions:

@tonebender, you might try Ziegenbock as well. Supposed to be a Texas beer, but is is readily available in LA. I like most beers from south of the border like Sole, Pacifico, Tecate, and Victoria. But I can’t drink Corona. Shame you can’t get Shiner Bock more readily. Most stores in my area have it. I do like a Dos Equis Amber after I have had a few to end the night after listening to live music, the band is winding down, and the night is ending. And occasionally with a lime. I do enjoy my Modelo with pizza, tacos or a good shrimp poboy.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

SamIV wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:14 am @tonebender, you might try Ziegenbock as well. Supposed to be a Texas beer, but is is readily available in LA. I like most beers from south of the border like Sole, Pacifico, Tecate, and Victoria. But I can’t drink Corona. Shame you can’t get Shiner Bock more readily. Most stores in my area have it. I do like a Dos Equis Amber after I have had a few to end the night after listening to live music, the band is winding down, and the night is ending. And occasionally with a lime. I do enjoy my Modelo with pizza, tacos or a good shrimp poboy.
Oh man...I forgot about Pacifico...used to be my goto back in the states. Haven't had one of those in 8 years +.
jhull54
Reactions:

In Texas, we are able to get most of the Mexican adjunct beers. Before Corona was widely available in Texas, we had to get it in Mexico and bring it back. I would give my buddy $10 when he went to the border, and he'd bring me back a Mexican case (20). It was cheap and had alcohol. This would have been early-80s. Now, I can't drink Corona at all, as it's usually skunked and I've just never cared for it much. On a hot day, a cold Tecate or Dos XX are pretty good though.

Shiner Bock is pretty much ubiquitous here, and it's popular, but again, not a go-to for me.

I love Marzen's and Vienna lagers, and English ales. I always have Sam Adams Boston Lager in the fridge. My favorite "daily" beer.

Others I buy on occasion:
Fuller's ESB
Young's Special London Ale
Sierra Nevada PA
Miller High Life (the Champagne of Beers, don't you know...)
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I kind of missed one beer that I have in the frig as I type, Pacifico. I just purchased my first 6-pack about a month ago and have drank 3 of them. They are good. I could actually bump Shiner Bock from my top five for Pacifico. It is readily available. Corona is swill IMHO.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
honyock
Reactions:

One I can't get locally, but really liked when I was visiting our plant in Tecate was Finisima, which is a Belgian style pale ale.

Drank a ton of them when I was there and was glad to have something a little different, though I still enjoyed more than a few cans of the rojo (Tecate) while I was there. Image

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
jhull54
Reactions:

tonebender wrote:Corona is swill IMHO.
Man I couldn't agree more!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

Also, many mentioned are owned by Big Beer, busy swallowing the small good guys, or the mid-tier ones and ruining them in the process.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Local Porters or Stouts. If I was to pick one, it would be the Seadog Hazelnut Stout that I tried for the first time a few months back when I was home.

When I lived in Texas back in the early 90's my favorite was Shiner Bock. Before Yuenling was able to be purchased again here in MA, it was my second favorite, the Yuenling stout was the better.

You should get Untapped App.
tonebender
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:10 am Also, many mentioned are owned by Big Beer, busy swallowing the small good guys, or the mid-tier ones and ruining them in the process.
I remember reading somewhere that Yuengling came under a lot of pressure to be bought out once they gained more than a regional footprint and started catching fire. I am glad they resisted.
bleys21
Reactions:

Similar thing happened out here with both Sierra Nevada, Firestone Walker and I think Karl Strauss. And Three Floyds in Indiana. All of them refused high amounts of money to sell their breweries, for which I am grateful :-)

tonebender wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:16 am
PoodlesAgain wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:10 am Also, many mentioned are owned by Big Beer, busy swallowing the small good guys, or the mid-tier ones and ruining them in the process.
I remember reading somewhere that Yuengling came under a lot of pressure to be bought out once they gained more than a regional footprint and started catching fire. I am glad they resisted.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

I really don’t have a favorite beer.
I guess I’ve drank more PBR than anything at this point.
Yeungling is solid though.

I’m usually a fan of some sort of local-ish cider. Cider Boys has(had?) a really good blueberry one in the spring/summer, that’s probably my favorite.
Although I had a really good jackfruit cider in Louisville last year, wish I could remember the name of that one because it was just super refreshing with a lot of good stuff going on in the flavor department.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
mickey
Reactions:

Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:

Cool video! I enjoyed it and you could tell they were getting a little buzzed towards the end of the test.
Spike
Reactions:

My 3 favorites at the moment:
1) Boss Tweed
2) King Sue
3) King Julius
Boss Tweed.JPG
King Sue.JPG
Julious.JPG
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

Late addition to the thread: Spouse had an addiction to wine, and decided yo switch to wheat beers. While visiting former neighbors she discovered the near-zero alcohol beers made by Athletic Brewing, and has been very happy since switching to that (grateful for it too, here... if you have been there, you know.)

Anyway, working through my Modelo Negra 12 Pck, seems to agree with my demonic upped BP meds too. Next is Narragansett, lager I guess, as they have shrank their production variety, it seems.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
tonebender
Reactions:

I like Modelo Negra but I think I would actually prefer an Amber Bock given a choice between the two.
MichaelR
Reactions:

Heineken year round and Grolsch when the summer is hot.
Floridian FX
Reactions:

@tonebender Publix has Shiner BOGO this week. Usually mine doesn't carry it, but sure enough the shelf was full. I got some in your honor.
tonebender
Reactions:

Floridian FX wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm @tonebender Publix has Shiner BOGO this week. Usually mine doesn't carry it, but sure enough the shelf was full. I got some in your honor.
Holy shit Ryan! I need to go by the local Publix and check it out. Enjoy the Shiner Bock, it is awesome beer.
tonebender
Reactions:

@Floridian FX Brookville Publix has no Shiner so I went down to San Antonio and the Publix there had one 6-pack left. So tonight I am preparing Orange Roughy and washing it down with a Shiner Bock.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I finally got to see a bottle of Shiner Bock... a picture of it in "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer" that my wife found at a yard sale!
No such thing in the Northeast that I can tell (see my previous rant about yards and yards of IPAs on shelves, little room for anything else!).
Great book BTW, but I would be more interested in one on beer-making history, when every major city had a dozen breweries.
mickey
Reactions:

Y'all would wait until I'm no longer allowed to drink to get a good beer thread going!!!
Gandalf the Intonationer
Partscaster
Reactions:

When I have a beer that isnt that great, or when I am just in a spicy mood, I might pour a beer into a pint glass and then add most of the ingredients I have around that I would put into a bloody mary, ( horseradish, dash of Worchester Sauce, maybe some chopped jalapeño, lime wedge,......except no tomato juice and no hard booze. It makes a cheap beer taste great, or more like a bloody mary.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."