Scammers on Reverb

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
solteroblues
Reactions:

Has anyone else been trying to sell gear on Reverb, and getting scammers contacting you?

I've got a guitar listed for sale right now, and I've received two separate offers from someone pretending to be interested, but immediately want me to contact them either through text or email. They've offered my full asking price, or $50 less, and then things get weird. The first guy wanted to pay me with a cashier's check. The second guy wanted to have a "hauler" come pick it up from me. I'm used to this kind of thing on Facebook or Craigslist, but not on Reverb!
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

It took a while to see how they could even look for listings near them, but after selecting a few categories, a Location filter popped up... Guessing this is how they play local sellers on Reverb.
image.png
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

There will always be a surplus of asshole thieves no matter where you go or what you do.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Partscaster
Reactions:

Dont they have to buy things through reverb? Do sellers ever get payments directly? I assumed everything gets transacted through reverb.
In my purchases, the seller to whom my money is addressed to is Reverb.com

edit: I get it, the chumps are trying to arrange separate sales outside of reverb. F-em. Tell em to pound sand.

I bet this happens all the time, and steady sellers are just used to ignoring them.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
artandsoul
Reactions:

Yeah ive got that a few times on reverb and one today! saying ill purchase it and my dad will come pick it up email him here lol i know its a scam soon as it says that .
got same thing on facebook marketplace as well usually right after i post something saying do you have this item? i say yes they say good ill send my brother over for pickup and ill send him with the money to pay for it how much was it, ill say something like 5000 when its 20.00 lol and they say ok ill send the money blah blah, i just block and report em and keep goin. anytime i think someone on fb is a scam message i just say scam?, real people will so no scam im real, the bots wont lol
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Yep, this has been the case as long as I can remember on any online sales platform. Asking you to contact them outside the platform is a dead giveaway every time. If they were a registered reverb member report them to customer service - not that it will stop them from setting up another bogus account, but at least make it more difficult for them.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Yeah we get these bungholers all the time as we sell on Reverb too. Granted our products aren't the most expensive items on the site
but it's usually Weasels who want to buy 50 to even a couple of hundred items from us and want to buy "Off Reverb".

BIG RED FLAG!

I tell them to go and make multiple orders from Reverb as our Inventory automatically resets or visit our website to purchase in those kind of quantities. Not so amazingly they never do. LOL!

IF they are using the Reverb Messaging system to do this carp then there is a RECORD of the Comms and just report then.

We've gotten quite a few bounced for Policy Violations.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
solteroblues
Reactions:

I reported both of them, but I'm sure they'll just get another account and try it again. Ebay does a pretty good job of blocking people from having multiple accounts, I think, obviously Reverb doesn't. I knew they were both scams immediately because I've seen the same thing at other sites, just this was the first time I've ever gotten anything on Reverb