Hurricane is everyone battened down?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Actually from everything I have read and heard more people heeded the warning to evacuate than ever. Another consideration is one day it's headed to the panhandle, the next day it's headed to Tampa and the next Port Charlotte. In 2004 the hurricane track was coming right across the state east to west just north of Tampa. We evacuated the horses south to a farm in Venice. As soon as we got the horse settled in and checked in to the hotel on the beach the update said it may drift south. Sure enough it came right to where we were at and we had no choice but to ride it out. The hotel lost power and we ended up on the horse farm living in the sleeping compartment of the horse trailer. The farm never lost power so we were able to hook up and have A/C. Many in Tampa evacuated to Orlando for Charlie that same year and guess what, it hit Orlando hard. Same thing happened this time, many went to stay with friends and relatives in Orlando when it was headed to Tampa and boom it hits Orlando. A great friend of mine lives in Punta Gorda which took a direct hit. She flew out to Baton Rouge to be with family. She may not have anything to come back to.

It's easy to second guess everyone. Of course there are those that are foolish that think they are invincible and then there are those that do not have the ability or means to escape. Those without the means to escape can go to a school to shelter. It may be in convenient and even uncomfortable but at least they can survive.

Yes @mickey it is a PITA to evacuate with horses. Not to mention the expense, they cannot just stay at the HI Express. It costs a bundle and the amount of preparation means you have to decide early where you are going and as I mentioned above sometimes that can be difficult. With Irma it came in at the south tip of the state a Cat 4 same as Ian and went all the way through Florida and Georgia. She just went as far north with the horse as she could with hopes that the strength would diminish by the time it got to us. It worked. I stayed in my hurricane proof building that was powered by a generator with Scooby and we were fine.

Bottom line if you live in Florida you need to have a plan. You need to act as early as possible. Even if the plan is to just take an Uber to the shelter as soon as it opens. It's a way of life. There are so many people moving here now that there are literally hundreds of thousands without the experience to know what to do.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I saw a population map of Southwest FL, 1970 versus 2020.

Lots more people, and mostly near shore.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
mickey
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 pm I saw a population map of Southwest FL, 1970 versus 2020.

I would bet that is true regardless of what part of Floriduh you are talking about. Until a hurricane comes everyone wants close to the coast.
Gandalf the Intonationer
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am
PoodlesAgain wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 pm I saw a population map of Southwest FL, 1970 versus 2020.

I would bet that is true regardless of what part of Floriduh you are talking about. Until a hurricane comes everyone wants close to the coast.
This is a worldwide trend, as well as people moving into cities... which kills family farming... which makes us vulnerable in many ways - eco, trade, multinationals, monoculture.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
peskypesky
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 am
mickey wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am

This is a worldwide trend, as well as people moving into cities... which kills family farming... which makes us vulnerable in many ways - eco, trade, multinationals, monoculture.
How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
After they've seen Paree'?
How ya gonna keep 'em away from Broadway
Jazzin around and paintin' the town?
How ya gonna keep 'em away from harm, that's a mystery?
They'll never want to see a rake or plow
And who the deuce can parleyvous a cow?
How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
After they've seen Paree'?

Banned by Momo
MichaelR
Reactions:

Wow I read today that there were 67 deaths recorded so far which is just what I feared once I saw pictures of Ft Myers, so sad. Having grown old and not nearly as mobile as I used to be I really feel for those who stayed instead of evacuating, its just not as easy as it sounds.
peskypesky
Reactions:

MichaelR wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:01 pm Wow I read today that there were 67 deaths recorded so far which is just what I feared once I saw pictures of Ft Myers, so sad. Having grown old and not nearly as mobile as I used to be I really feel for those who stayed instead of evacuating, its just not as easy as it sounds.
I'm quite sure all those areas had evacuation assistance programs.

e.g for Lee County
https://www.leegov.com/publicsafety/eme ... edsprogram
Banned by Momo