Hurricane is everyone battened down?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

MAN THE PUMPS!!! :)
Attachments
We Are Here.jpg
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I just got a notice from BOA that they were cancelling my line of credit because I never used it. They said I could have it back if I needed it.

The winds have picked up a little and it has been drizzly all day. It looks like we will be spared this time.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Watching some of the storm chaser/vloggers and it looks really bad in Ft. Myers, Naples, Punta Gorda. Some vids of houses floating off foundations and cars going down the roads and such...not good. We have some friends in Englewood and they are getting it full on right now.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

What's with Tampa Bay & Charlotte Harbor emptying out ahead of the storm?

WTFIT?
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
mickey
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:52 pm What's with Tampa Bay & Charlotte Harbor emptying out ahead of the storm?

WTFIT?
They are NORTH of the eye of the storm.
Hurricanes rotate counter clockwise.
IAN was headed eastward.
It was pulling water out of there to use in creating the storm surge for Punta Gorda, Fort Meyers etc. SOUTH of the eye.
Make sense?
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

Well, I'm about 150 miles straight east of landfall and while it's been gusty and rainy, so far no guitars have been swept up and disappeared over the edge of the horizon. It also looks like the company that wrote my homeowners insurance policy will be able to hang on to the entire $6400 premium. To put things in perspective, that's on a property with a market value of around $350K...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:14 pm
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:12 pm We're in line for the Typhoon that just hit Vietnam. Just more rain as it's already rainy season. The big worry is the release of water from the dams up north, uncontrolled it caused massive flooding 8n this area in 2011 and reservoirs are already to the brim. Trading the Suzuki in for a ksyak
Hoping you live on a second floor, Tonray.
I can but my guitars and the fridge are on the 1st floor..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

Guy livestreaming - wed night
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Just listened to a news report. The anchor was talking live to somebody who stayed. That person lives in a (from what I could tell) beautiful two story house and was videoing the water level/damage from the second floor. He was concerned about his 80 year-old neighbor who lives in a one story house.

Makes you think.

That said, I have a neighbor that I'd have a really, really hard time lending a helping hand to. But I'd do it.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
peskypesky
Reactions:

How are y'all Floridians doing?
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 am How are y'all Floridians doing?
Not a drop of rain here yet. :D
Lee county FL sheriff is reporting hundreds of fatilities there. Lots of low lying land around there & they got the worst of the storm surge (which was supposed to be about 16 feet} so I suspect a lot of folks around there drown in their homes. Eight foot ceilings & sixteen foot flood makes treading water all but impossible unless you have gills.
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 am
peskypesky wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 am How are y'all Floridians doing?
Not a drop of rain here yet. :D
Lee county FL sheriff is reporting hundreds of fatilities there. Lots of low lying land around there & they got the worst of the storm surge (which was supposed to be about 16 feet} so I suspect a lot of folks around there drown in their homes. Eight foot ceilings & sixteen foot flood makes treading water all but impossible unless you have gills.
Yeah. Lots of Darwin Award recipients in Florida today.
Banned by Momo
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

The change in path from right over my house spared us thank goodness. Hernando County only got some wind and rain. The only damage we suffered is tree debris all over the yard. No major size limbs and nothing that does not happen during an average afternoon thunderstorm. We were lucky. Down south where it hit they are wiped out. The path across the state is experiencing flooding big time. Orlando is basically a swamp and I am sure they have flooding issues. There are casualties especially those that chose to stay where they warned to evacuate.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
uwmcscott
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:41 am especially those that chose to stay where they warned to evacuate.
That's the thing I'll never understand, and I have a friend who is one of "those people". He moved his family down there about a year and a half ago and went out of his way to boast/post photos of his defiance/intentions of staying to ride it out - along with photos of all of the booze he had stocked up in the garage/etc. They live in Englewood and as of about an hour ago no one, including his family has heard anything from them since yesterday afternoon. It doesn't appear that there is catastrophic damage in their immediate neighborhood, but hoping he and his wife/son are OK.
peskypesky
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:41 am There are casualties especially those that chose to stay where they warned to evacuate.
You don't say.
Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am
tonebender wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:41 am especially those that chose to stay where they warned to evacuate.
That's the thing I'll never understand, and I have a friend who is one of "those people". He moved his family down there about a year and a half ago and went out of his way to boast/post photos of his defiance/intentions of staying to ride it out - along with photos of all of the booze he had stocked up in the garage/etc. They live in Englewood and as of about an hour ago no one, including his family has heard anything from them since yesterday afternoon. It doesn't appear that there is catastrophic damage in their immediate neighborhood, but hoping he and his wife/son are OK.
My sister's parents-in-law are "those people" too. She and her husband were begging them to evacuate, as they are elderly, with various health problems. They refused. They're in Ft. Myers, which I think got hit fairly hard. Oh well...
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

I've been watching the "aftermath" all morning (Fort Meyers NBC-2 & ABC-7 have been streaming since before I got up this morning.)
It appears to me they have the worst storm surge (flooding) damage than I have ever seen from a hurricane.
One of their reporters recently said the 7-8-9 million dollar homes fared as well as the mobile homes.
It appears the Sanibel Island lighthouse is missing & it had been there since the late 1800's or early 1900's.
The Sanibel Island causeway has been chopped into pieces.
Even tho this was "only" a cat 4 storm, the damage looks worse than we got from Cat 5 hurricane Michael back in 2017.

Gandalf the Intonationer
MichaelR
Reactions:

Well I'm glad no one here was hit directly, I really feel for the folks in ft Myers and all the low ground in the path of the surge.
tonebender
Reactions:

Over the years we have evacuated several times. We would take the horse(s) as far up north as necessary to miss the action. It was a pain and not one time as it turned out did we really need to, we would have been fine right where we were at but you never know. Our horse farm was in a low lying area and when we sold three years ago we bought a home in a census recognized spot called Spring Lake, Fl. There are hills in Florida or "Florida mountains". We live on one. Our neighborhood is called Mountain View and is at elevation 260 ft. The area where the eye hit is around 12'-15' and there was a 20' storm surge. That surge put everything for miles near the coast under water.

The gig tonight down in Zephyrhills where we used to live was cancelled. They have no power.
uwmcscott
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:06 pm The area where the eye hit is around 12'-15' and there was a 20' storm surge. That surge put everything for miles near the coast under water.
That is the thing that blows my mind - it's not a matter of IF it's going to happen, just a matter of when. Certainly IAN was a a very big/once in a lifetime storm for that particular spot, but it seems like there are storms almost that big every few years. And it's basically a dartboard of where it might hit.

The company I work for now has a facility on Amelia Island, which is just on the shore of the the Amelia river and a few hundred yards from the ocean. We are co-located next to a paper mill and we process leftover lignin from their processes, but there is a giant "Lagoon" where the material is stored contained by man-made berms. There is also a municipal wastewater treatment holding pond next to it. I'd guess the berms are maybe 15-20 feet high at the most, and the elevation of the property is maybe 10 feet above sea level if that. When I first saw them I could not believe anyone would even consider building something like that so close to sea level, and especially right next to the ocean - but there it is. And most of the down is at the same level, so a storm like IAN would certainly cover the whole island like it did to the islands off Ft Myers.
mickey
Reactions:

@uwmcscott I've yet to meet a company that would fail to cut every possible corner the government would allow them to cut.

@tonebender Never thought about it but I'd bet that evacuating with a horse would be an absolute p.i.t.a. !

No one has mentioned it but in case anyone has been watching any of the hurricane IAN recovery I would point out that all the standing water you see from the flooding is all SALT water! If you've ever done any flooding recovery you know what a p.i.t.a. it is & SALT water just cubes & squares the p.i.t.a.!!!! Any automobile or appliance has to be replaced because of the corrosive affects of the SALT water.
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:36 pm Any automobile or appliance has to be replaced because of the corrosive affects of the SALT water.
I keep reading about cars that are underwater and I'm just scratching my head and wondering why people didn't drive them to a safer location. Maybe they just figure that insurance will cover a replacement car?
Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

"There's literally nothing to come back to": Fort Myers Beach council member says most homes are gone

"Dan Allers, a council member in Fort Myers Beach, described devastation at a level 'that no one really anticipated or expected' as he walked through the area Thursday after it was pounded by Hurricane Ian."

No one expected it?? Ummm....wrong.

Guess he hadn't seen the news in a few weeks nor talked to anyone who had.
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm "There's literally nothing to come back to": Fort Myers Beach council member says most homes are gone

"Dan Allers, a council member in Fort Myers Beach, described devastation at a level 'that no one really anticipated or expected' as he walked through the area Thursday after it was pounded by Hurricane Ian."

I believe I understand him even if you don't. I've lived thru a number of hurricanes in the 20+ years I've lived here. But they were cat 1 or 2 hurricanes. I believe that hurricane Michael was the first ever (in recorded history) Cat 5 hurricane to hit this area. I rode thru it here at home. I'll never do that again! If there is any chance of a Cat 4 or 5 coming thru here I'll be somewhere north of Atlanta when it arrives! I have yet to talk with anyone here who "anticipated or expected" anything like Hurricane Michael!!!!!!!! Someone on TV from Fort Meyers today described IAN as being like an F3 tornado sitting directly on top of you for 8 hours & that was exactly how I would describe hurricane Michael to you.
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:22 pm
peskypesky wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm "There's literally nothing to come back to": Fort Myers Beach council member says most homes are gone

I believe I understand him even if you don't. I've lived thru a number of hurricanes in the 20+ years I've lived here. But they were cat 1 or 2 hurricanes. I believe that hurricane Michael was the first ever (in recorded history) Cat 5 hurricane to hit this area. I rode thru it here at home. I'll never do that again! If there is any chance of a Cat 4 or 5 coming thru here I'll be somewhere north of Atlanta when it arrives! I have yet to talk with anyone here who "anticipated or expected" anything like Hurricane Michael!!!!!!!! Someone on TV from Fort Meyers today described IAN as being like an F3 tornado sitting directly on top of you for 8 hours & that was exactly how I would describe hurricane Michael to you.
Say what you want, but there were warnings of Ian's destructive capabilities for quite some time, and many areas had mandatory evacuations. I'm all the way in Texas, and I'm not surprised AT ALL by this devastation.
Banned by Momo