I officially retired!

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Kirobhan
Reactions:

Congratulations!

I’m in a retirement trial run right now. Technically it is a staycation since our Japan trip had to be canceled. Apparently a pandemic caused japan to shut down travel. But since were still in a semi shutdown state and not wanting to go anywhere I’ve been calling it a retirement trial as that has a better ring to it instead of doing housework on my vacation.
peskypesky
Reactions:

Awesome!!! Congratulations!!

I'm retired for now. Haven't had a job (aside from a few freelance gigs) since Dec. 2017 and I don't miss it ONE bit.

I may have to work again, depending on how things go...but I sure hope I don't have to. Freedom rules.
Banned by Momo
stevebway
Reactions:

Best of luck to you. I lost my job 10 years ago in the last "implosion". The start was shaky as I had one kid leaving college and one going in.I have lots of interests and threw myself fully into music. It takes time to wind down from the "conditionng" of work.
You will do well !
The Ham what AM...
jtcnj
Reactions:

Congrats!
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Believer
Reactions:
Gearlist: Too many amps; Too many guitars; Too little time...

Congratulations! I guess I'm the outlier because this stay-at-home thing has convinced me that I am NOT ready to retire. I'm hoping to work 5 more years; but then again, I love my job! Hope you enjoy your retirement and stay busy with things you really want to do.
OMB
Reactions:

One step closer to The Edge...BUT in the meantime enjoy!
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

mozz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 pm Stay busy, no sleeping late. Can you get social security supplement from where you worked?
I am holding off on SS until I am 65. Currently, I am 57. Got a ways to go.

I have no debt, replaced the major systems in my house last year and my cars are 10 month old and 2 years old, respectively. I got a great separation package and have saved well. I have two pensions coming to me when I am ready. Plus, I get unemployment as I am looking for my next career.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Believer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am I'm hoping to work 5 more years; but then again, I love my job!
That is the trick - loving your job. Mine was getting pointless and detrimental to my health.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 pm Congratulations! Friday the 12th is my last day of full time employment. I turned in my notice this past Monday. After a break I will be working 3 days a week for the firm I started with. Full circle of life. Not sure how long I will do part time but until the end of the year seems feasible. I too feel calm about the decision.
Congrats on your break from your current job!!!
mickey
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:54 am
mozz wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 pm Stay busy, no sleeping late. Can you get social security supplement from where you worked?
I am holding off on SS until I am 65. Currently, I am 57. Got a ways to go.
Rob, Have you done the math on that?
The reason I ask is that in my case, Had I waited to 65 to start social security (I believe for you it is more like 66.5?)
As opposed to 62, it would have taken me to age 93 or 94 to come out ahead by waiting til 65.
The reason I say that is you are losing money every month from 62 thru 65.
Naturally, you get paid more per month by waiting vs getting a smaller amount by starting earlier.
As not one of my male blood relatives have ever made it past 90, starting SS at 62 was the logical choice. :)

You are wise being debt free. IMHO, the best I can say about anyone who retires with debt hanging over them is
they are an idiot.
Gandalf the Intonationer
andrewsrea
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:09 am
andrewsrea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:54 am

Have you done the math on that?
In my own budget model, but not in a lifetime model. I wonder if those are out on the interwebz?

Thanks for the idea!
mickey
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:11 am

In my own budget model, but not in a lifetime model. I wonder if those are out on the interwebz?

Thanks for the idea!
It is easy work for a spreadsheet. :)

The main data you need (you'll have to settle for today's numbers) What would you draw if you retire today @62?
What would you draw if you retire today at the age to draw the max?
The time between those two ages.

As the biggest SS raise I've had has been $1.11/month. So inflation isn't really a concern. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
Floridian FX
Reactions:

Congrats.
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am
andrewsrea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the idea!
It is easy work for a spreadsheet. :)

The main data you need (you'll have to settle for today's numbers) What would you draw if you retire today @62?
What would you draw if you retire today at the age to draw the max?
The time between those two ages.

As the biggest SS raise I've had has been $1.11/month. So inflation isn't really a concern. :)
Definitely do the math. I'm also pretty sure I've seen online calculators for this...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
tony1852
Reactions:

First off CONGRATS!!! I totally envy you

My plan was to retire at the end of May, with wife to follow at end of year. I'm 47, she's 39 in a week. However, with the stock market tank, my wife being completely furloughed, and me getting 50% salary since April has put a hold on that. My company also with held my 2019 bonus that should have been paid out in March/April until 'they get back to normal'. I may never see that bonus ever.

Unfortunately, I'm planning right now to work until at least the end of this year. Too much uncertainty in the economy.
I know I should just take the plunge and quit, but as long as I'm working from home with a lot of freedom, I can hang in there.

I'd really like more time to focus on music, but playing it safe for now. Of course, hanging out here doesn't help the retirement savings any LOL!

Again, CONGRATS and ENJOY!!!
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Lucky!!!!

The only time I'm going be able to retire is when they are putting dirt on me. A lot of layoffs, bankruptcies, and mergers in my aviation career and some at the inopportune dwindled my nest egg.,