Selling guitars suggestions

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
MichaelR
Reactions:

I want to sell a few guitars I just don't play anymore. Unfortunatly the owner of the local music store has been fighting cancer which has matesized to the brain so she is closing up. I bought a Pacifica pac 112v from her and a gator acoustic case to help get sell down her inventory. I don't really need this guitar nor do I need several others I own and never play. With Suzy closing up I guess Ill have to sell them online however I don't trust Reverb due to Etsy owing it now so I'm looking for alternatives that you guys may have used.

On another note I really do like the Pacifica and I own a pac 012 which are ceramic magnets and the 112v which are alnico. I actually like the Ceramic better and part of the reason is that the wiring on the 012 combines the humbucker with the middle single coil in position 2 where as the 112v makes the humbucker a weak single coil and combines it with the middle single coil. I'd like to mod the 112 to be like the 012 setup but honestly I have never worked on the strat like wiring of the Pacifica which used a 5 position switch. All the diagrams I see for this type of wiring leave me confused because I cant tell from the diagrams where the switch position is. In other words I can see the places the wires go to but not the switch position is relation to them so I cant tell where position 2 is in order to make changes. I'm wondering if any of you have found a diagram that would make it more clear, any help would be appreciated. I will be selling one of them but until I can try this on the 112v I cant make up my mind which to sell.
honyock
Reactions:

I've been doing Facebook marketplace recently, but it is a bit hut and miss.

I haven't tried using their shipping, but it seems like a decent alternative.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
glasshand
Reactions:

Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are about it for me. I strongly prefer not to ship anything larger than a pedal, though. Too expensive, too much hassle.
MichaelR
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:42 pm Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are about it for me. I strongly prefer not to ship anything larger than a pedal, though. Too expensive, too much hassle.
Yeah the shipping is a big pain and risk as I have received two guitars which were broken during shipping, Reverb helped me get these returned but I don't know about them since Etsy took over. I think its down to Craigslist as I don't use Facebook and really don't want to ship anymore.
MichaelR
Reactions:

This really is a two part post and I think the first part is answered due to my not wanting to ship.

As far as the wiring goes I was doing my research late at night and have since found some good diagrams. I think the switch position Ill have to figure out with my meter. I have found that a coil tap for my Humbuckers is pointless because I hate the power drop off so I never use that function anyway. With the Pacifica HSS you have two other full power single coils to choose from so I could just change out the push pull pot for a normal tone pot. Hmmm so many options.
dabbler
Reactions:

This article looks like it might have done useful info:

http://alloutput.com/guitar/5-way-switches-explained/

Be sure to also check out its companion:

http://alloutput.com/guitar/hsh-wiring-mod-to-hhsss/
MichaelR
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:47 pm This article looks like it might have done useful info:

thanks! The first one explained it to me and the second one is worth a thought down the road.
MichaelR
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:47 pm This article looks like it might have done useful info:

Thanks the first one is what I needed to understand the switch positions. The second vid is food for thought.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

For selling I'm still using Reverb with generally good results. As bad of a rap as they get from some, I think it's still the best place to consistently reach the most customers and they do have the cleanest/easiest to search site out there. I mark my prices up accordingly to cover the fees and shipping and if you are patient it usually sells for close to your asking price.

I've messed around with FB marketplace and CL, but I prefer to buy vs sell via those vs buying.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Yamahas are an underrated guitar brand.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jtcnj
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:42 pm Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are about it for me. I strongly prefer not to ship anything larger than a pedal, though. Too expensive, too much hassle.
Same here. I will use Reverb reluctantly if the local ads dont sell.
I did use Offer Up / Letgo a bit a few years back, but haven't bothered with it lately.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
MichaelR
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:00 am Yamahas are an underrated guitar brand.
I agree after owning two now. I've never really been a strat man so its kinda interesting playing around with these. Really for the money I feel these are great guitars. People call them starter guitars but they are consistently well made and with a few mods can very much be a Pro's quality guitar. Out of the box both of mine played well with low action and no snagging frets to file down. Ill probably put ratio locking tuners on the one I keep. I'm not impressed with the machines on the 012 but they hold tune just fine so If I choose to keep it Ill probably put ratio locking tuners on it.
jtcnj
Reactions:

I had a basketcase beater HSS PAC012 i got dirt cheap.
It was missing the jack and plate.
Made the few repairs, set up, tuned the nut slots.
The tuners were cheap but good enough.

It was a really good playing guitar.
The trem is supposed to be decked / dive only I think, or thats how I set it up and it was fine.
Not perfect, it came back just a little flat. A few notes after using the trem it settled back into tune.

Worst dead sounding guitar unplugged, but it is an Electric guitar.
I ended up swapping in other budget pickups I had on hand.
If I didnt have the Jackson HSS Dinky, I probably would have kept it.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

jtcnj wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:58 am Worst dead sounding guitar unplugged, but it is an Electric guitar.
Strange, I was gifted an EG 112C and it is pretty loud acoustically. I replaced the pickups with some of my leftover AMI prototype Billy-B single coils and a Shaw Fender humbucker, also the 5 way switch. Leveled & crowned the frets and it is a player. I'd bring it to a gig or session.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
MichaelR
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am
jtcnj wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:58 am Worst dead sounding guitar unplugged, but it is an Electric guitar.
Strange, I was gifted an EG 112C and it is pretty loud acoustically. I replaced the pickups with some of my leftover AMI prototype Billy-B single coils and a Shaw Fender humbucker, also the 5 way switch. Leveled & crowned the frets and it is a player. I'd bring it to a gig or session.
From what I've read on the specs sheet the 012 body is agathis and the 112 is alder so that may be the difference. I also have noticed that on many guitars the weight can vary quite a bit even though the wood is the same which has to be a difference in density.
solteroblues
Reactions:

so are you guys having luck selling on Reverb? I have one guitar that's just languishing there. I've dropped the price twice already, and it's still below a lot of other similar ones available. Facebook has netted me a ton of trade offers but no one wants to pay cash. Other forums have been a dead end, too.
honyock
Reactions:

solteroblues wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:54 pm so are you guys having luck selling on Reverb? I have one guitar that's just languishing there. I've dropped the price twice already, and it's still below a lot of other similar ones available. Facebook has netted me a ton of trade offers but no one wants to pay cash. Other forums have been a dead end, too.
I had the same trouble3 when I put my Squier CV strat up for sale. I was cheaper than the cheapest, even with shipping added, and still it did not sell.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

I'm gonna have to cross this bridge in the next year when I purge some stuff from my collection. I might be approaching John's number