Popeye’s Fried Chicken

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

I don’t normally eat fast food, it’s a once every two months or so thing for me, but I was hungry, didn’t eat much today and here in the Boston area, we’re still a little pandemically challenged, restaurant-wise.

So, I drove by the new Popeye’s Cajun style fried chicken restaurant in the next town over and noticed the drive thru line wasn’t a mile long, as it usually is.

Fast forward an hour, and I feel so wrong and dirty inside, almost like I’m going to die from all the paprika tinged lipids coursing through my veins, but damn it, that sh*t was MoMoF*cking delicious.

That is all, carry on. 😂

P.S. pics or it didn’t happen aren’t recommended here, unless you want to see a pile of Mac n Cheese encrusted bones and gravy splattered buttermilk biscuit shards.

So, you can make do with this marketing pic...
E835FFB7-E2AE-4248-9EA3-6A7604F3CFB4.jpeg
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
zisme
Reactions:

Fried chicken has to be in its own category (or a small and exclusive one) of foods that will hit the spot like a mack truck when it's really what you're in the mood for.

Haven't really had much popeyes (there is one right up the street from me though). i've always been more of a bojangles fan.

The BEST fried chicken I have ever had is from a restaurant in Catawba, VA called The Homeplace. If you ever find yourself in the New River Valley - GO THERE

frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

zisme wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 pm Fried chicken has to be in its own category (or a small and exclusive one) of foods that will hit the spot like a mack truck when it's really what you're in the mood for.

Haven't really had much popeyes (there is one right up the street from me though). i've always been more of a bojangles fan.

The BEST fried chicken I have ever had is from a restaurant in Catawba, VA called The Homeplace. If you ever find yourself in the New River Valley - GO THERE

So true, fried chicken really is it’s own entity and a culinary art form in its own right. That right there, looks like REAL fried chicken!
peskypesky
Reactions:

I'm too afraid of a heart attack to eat that kind of food. I stopped eating fried foods many years ago.

My father is a retired heart surgeon and there is cardiovascular disease in my family history, so I know to avoid that stuff no matter how good it might taste. There are other tasty things to eat that are healthier.

Large Veterans study confirms link between fried food, heart disease
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/73567/ ... t-disease/
Banned by Momo
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:47 pm I'm too afraid of a heart attack to eat that kind of food. I stopped eating fried foods many years ago.

My father is a retired heart surgeon and there is cardiovascular disease in my family history, so I know to avoid that stuff no matter how good it might taste. There are other tasty things to eat that are healthier.

Large Veterans study confirms link between fried food, heart disease
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/73567/ ... t-disease/
I applaud your ability to follow through on your dietary choice, it’s a smart way to go. I do a pretty good job of avoiding fried food, but I still dabble, especially when it’s been awhile.
peskypesky
Reactions:

^ that being said, my older brother, who is overweight, with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart issues, and gout....just went to get dinner at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I pleaded with him to get something healthy, or at least healthier, like chicken fajita tacos, but he just brushed me off.

My father is constantly telling me to tell my brother to eat healthier, but he just refuses to listen. Hence, I am at my ideal body weight of 188 lbs and 6'3" tall, whereas my brother is 5'11" and about 285. :(
Banned by Momo
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:57 pm ^ that being said, my older brother, who is overweight, with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart issues, and gout....just went to get dinner at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I pleaded with him to get something healthy, or at least healthier, like chicken fajita tacos, but he just brushed me off.

My father is constantly telling me to tell my brother to eat healthier, but he just refuses to listen. Hence, I am at my ideal body weight of 188 lbs and 6'2" tall, whereas my brother is 5'11" and about 285. :(
Oh man, your brother is in a risky situation there, I hope nothing worse happens. Having a parent or close family member in medicine is always a good thing, they’re usually there to remind us to take care of ourselves!
peskypesky
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 am
peskypesky wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:57 pm ^ that being said, my older brother, who is overweight, with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart issues, and gout....just went to get dinner at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I pleaded with him to get something healthy, or at least healthier, like chicken fajita tacos, but he just brushed me off.

My father is constantly telling me to tell my brother to eat healthier, but he just refuses to listen. Hence, I am at my ideal body weight of 188 lbs and 6'2" tall, whereas my brother is 5'11" and about 285. :(
Oh man, your brother is in a risky situation there, I hope nothing worse happens. Having a parent or close family member in medicine is always a good thing, they’re usually there to remind to take care of yourself!
This brother is an MD himself.
Banned by Momo
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:02 am
Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 am

Oh man, your brother is in a risky situation there, I hope nothing worse happens. Having a parent or close family member in medicine is always a good thing, they’re usually there to remind to take care of yourself!
This brother is an MD himself.
Omg. Well, that torpedoes my theory 😂
peskypesky
Reactions:

It's so sad. My father, who is 85, and healthy, is very worried he's going to outlive my brother, who is 58.
Banned by Momo
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 am It's so sad. My father, who is 85, and healthy, is very worried he's going to outlive my brother, who is 58.
That’s unfortunate. I hope there’s an ultimate good outcome, with whatever choices your bro makes.
peskypesky
Reactions:

Bubba Zanetti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:08 am
peskypesky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 am It's so sad. My father, who is 85, and healthy, is very worried he's going to outlive my brother, who is 58.
That’s unfortunate. I hope there’s an ultimate good outcome, with whatever choices your bro makes.
Can't see how there will be a good outcome. But he's been ignoring my advice for 25 years...so what can I do?
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

I gave up fried food back in 1988 after I learned that smelling fried food put weight on me!
Gandalf the Intonationer
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

The absolute best "fast food" fried chicken I've ever had came from a local place in Lexington, KY. It's called Grimes's Fast Food Restaurant, and if you're ever in the area I would heavily suggest stopping by there, I personally would recommend the spicy chicken, but not if your *ahem* "sensitive" to spicy food.

That said I try to eat more green stuff and fruit than anything else.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
SamIV
Reactions:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with fried food in moderation. Give me fried chicken, fried fish, or onion rings a couple times a month. And don’t forget a good burger here and there. Too each his own.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:13 am I gave up fried food back in 1988 after I learned that smelling fried food put weight on me!
You'd gain a ton just walking around the streets of Bangkok. Thais love their fried stuff...and then they stuff themselves with white rice to tip it off....usually not many vegetables in the typical diet.
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 am
mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:13 am I gave up fried food back in 1988 after I learned that smelling fried food put weight on me!
You'd gain a ton just walking around the streets of Bangkok. Thais love their fried stuff...and then they stuff themselves with white rice to tip it off....usually not many vegetables in the typical diet.
A good friend of mine lives in Paraguay and tells me people in that part of the world make up for the missing vegetables in their diet by eating more
meat!

I couldn't completely give up all fried food as long as okra exists. It is a good thing I do not have access to fried okra every day. But I guess I could
eat okra any way it can be prepared. I even love boiled okra! :D

EDIT: Just remembered I've eaten pickled okra at "Loretta Lynn's Kitchen" a cafe in Hurricane Mills TN. :) It was on the salad bar.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 am
A good friend of mine lives in Paraguay and tells me people in that part of the world make up for the missing vegetables in their diet by eating more
meat!

I couldn't completely give up all fried food as long as okra exists. It is a good thing I do not have access to fried okra every day. But I guess I could
eat okra any way it can be prepared. I even love boiled okra! :D

EDIT: Just remembered I've eaten pickled okra at "Loretta Lynn's Kitchen" a cafe in Hurricane Mills TN. :) It was on the salad bar.
I love Okra too..making some stewed in tomato sauce with some chilli peppers tomorrow.
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am
I love Okra too..making some stewed in tomato sauce with some chilli peppers tomorrow.
Yep, I love "biled okry & maters" as my granny used to say.
Just don't tell anyone the acid in the tomatoes eats all the slime from the boiled okra.
If more people knew that we could have an okra shortage! :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
aullucci
Reactions:

In my experience, the best fried chicken can be found in dirty roadside hole in the wall type places. All over the country, really. But always in places you wouldn't necessarily expect it.
mickey
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am In my experience, the best fried chicken can be found in dirty roadside hole in the wall type places. All over the country, really. But always in places you wouldn't necessarily expect it.
I can't attest to that, but if you substitute BBQ for fried chicken I've always found it to be true.
And along the coasts, if you substitute seafood for fried chicken, I'll second that as well! :)
Little hole-in-th-wall seafood places usually have today's (local) catch while places like Margaritaville get theirs from New Jersey. :(
Gandalf the Intonationer
aullucci
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:23 am
aullucci wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am In my experience, the best fried chicken can be found in dirty roadside hole in the wall type places. All over the country, really. But always in places you wouldn't necessarily expect it.
I can't attest to that, but if you substitute BBQ for fried chicken I've always found it to be true.
And along the coasts, if you substitute seafood for fried chicken, I'll second that as well! :)
Yes, indeed! There are so many fantastic greasy fried clams places around here it's crazy.
Houblues
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:23 am
Little hole-in-th-wall seafood places usually have today's (local) catch while places like Margaritaville get theirs from New Jersey. :(
The best fried chicken in town here (widely acknowledged) is at a place called.......Barbeque Inn.... Their other specialty is fried shrimp. Their barbeque is OK but the best is elsewhere.

It isn't a hole-in-the-wall, but it is a throwback. Except for moving to a new location (back in the sixties I think) it has had the same menu (including the look) since 1946. A friend and I joke about their strategy. In a town that always has the hot new things (fusion this, fusion that, food truck fusion) their strategy is to do the same today as yesterday, and the day before that, and before that.

The most loved waitresses have an attitude and call you "hun", or "darlin" if they want to play it up.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

I rarely ever have fried foods anymore, but I remember getting some damn good fried chicken at Po' Folks. Anyone remember them?

I think the last time I ate at a Po' Folks was around 2007 or so. I think they've gone out of business, but I'm not certain.
mickey
Reactions:

There is a new one (Po Folks) just across the bridge as I drive into Lynn Haven. :)
Going in to Panama City.
Gandalf the Intonationer