'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

Well guys, long time no hear from me …

My life took a major diversion a few months back—some of you may remember I was having an issue with bad leg and also BPH.
After browbeating the doctor into getting me x-rays of my leg, it turned out I had stage 4 prostate cancer :shock: which had metastasized into pelvis and leg …
The medical team sprung into action, and now almost three months later I am on ADT hormone therapy, after ten treatments of palliative radiation.
I'm doing pretty well, considering, but being confined to a wheelchair is a real drag, although I am now able to transfer to a regular chair to practice guitar.

All my guitars were either too bulky or too heavy to play in the wheelchair because of the arm rests—I wasn't about to stop playing as that was probably the one thing keeping me sane through all the CT scans, MRI and radiation visits.
I started looking at guitaleles, but they are too small and "plinky" for any serious playing. Most travel guitars are still too big, but finally I landed on the Córdoba Mini II cutaway acoustic electric nylon string guitar. They scaled down the body to a 1/4 size, but made the neck proportionally longer and wider.
Beautifully made, with solid spruce top and striped ebony laminated back and sides, truss rod and under saddle pickup with tuner. Because the neck is longer, they were able to design the guitar to have regular E to E tuning, rather than A to A as on most mini guitars.
It sounds great through an amp, so will be something I can use when I start gigging again, once Covid has receded, and when I can walk again …

My best friend, who is a very accomplished classical player (as well as jazz and Latin music) encouraged me to start learning classical guitar, which has been a real and welcome challenge and is already changing my jazz technique.
On top of that he gave me an old flamenco guitar, which turned out to be an early Aria made by Matsuoka. It needs a little TLC, so far have done fret end work, light crowning, fret polish and rolling the eges of the fingerboard and thorough fingerboard cleaning and oiling. Next up is installing three missing position markers on the side of the neck and using a rosewood filler to build up a couple of bad dings on the low side of the neck.
Also did the same work minus the repairs on the Córdoba …

Well that’s about it for now, maybe some pics later but have to conserve energy …
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

That's a rough road, it sounds like you're handling it very well! I don't know if I'd find as much energy.
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Damn dude.

While I've met dozens and dozens of MDs in my life, I've only known 1 or 2 who weren't absolutely terrible at both diagnosing and treating ailments.

You literally have to know more than they do, or they're generally worthless.

God bless to you and your family, sending you all the good vibes!
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Glad they found your problem and that you're doing better. I feel you on the wheelchair arms I've been in a wheelchair for over a decade now and one of the first things I did was to take off the arm rest so I could play my guitars now I just keep them off not really sure where they are.
Keep getting better my friend and nothing better to occupy time like working on gear. Best of luck to you.
MichaelR
Reactions:

Glad to hear from you again. What a drag to have to go through this, so also did my father. I'm glad your feeling better, Dad had radiation treatments also and they were successful. Great to hear your still playing, I know what you mean about the arms on wheelchairs, maybe you can find one that lets the arms fold down. I always look for computer desk chair which allows the arms to fold in someway. Just keep hanging in there!
Houblues
Reactions:

Sending you a virtual "care" vibe. I know more than I want to about that territory, and know it's tough.
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5

Lucked out today on a really nice free small recliner from the Knights of Columbus charity—can play guitar in it, especially if I add an extra seat cushion …
D455E43C-53EE-4E9E-86CE-A53666D4AF96.jpeg

Also, the home workshop! Was kinda dark to put on new strings, so … :lol:
3A8D7E33-A009-4A06-983E-F79F566FFF93.jpeg
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
t100d
Reactions:
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5

Thanks for all the good wishes and the long distance support, good to know you're all out there. This is the only social thing I do online, and I couldn’t have found a better place …
t100d
Reactions:
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5

Have any of you worked with Gork's GoodFilla? A package of rosewood filler arrived today—seems like it might be 3 parts to 1 part water, how thick can it go on? The gouges on the side of the fretboard are maybe 1/8 to 3/16ths deep and about the same deep …
I was thinking to overfill and then sand down, what do you say?
UrenragK
Reactions:

Hey sorry to hear what you've been through, but glad to hear you're doing better now!

Take good care and keep on plucking those strings, it's the source!
t100d
Reactions:
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5

Thanks. Say, where are you in UK? I was born and grew up in Windsor, moved to London in '66, then to Seattle in late '69 …
Partscaster
Reactions:

Glad to hear your doing better and that you can play a nice guitar.
I've got a Cordoba Laplaya, maybe 3/4 or 1/2 size acoustic. My bridge is peeling off the top. Will have to fix that soon.
My brother had a Baby-Taylor, and the Cordoba Laplaya was better sounding in side by side comparison..
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Frozensoda
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender LT25 Amplifier
Apogee Jam
Agile AmpKit(app)

Yikes!
Glad you insisted on the X-ray.
I’m glad you found a guitar to fit your present situation, and I’m glad you’re still around to play it.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Mojo to your fantastic recovery! Glad you did not give up on playing. IMHO, music can heal.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Frozensoda wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:00 am Yikes!
Glad you insisted on the X-ray.
I’m glad you found a guitar to fit your present situation, and I’m glad you’re still around to play it.
I'm glad they found something.

When I got X-rayed they told me absolutely nothing looked wrong

Despite a lump bigger than both my fists combined sticking out from my back

Wish I was kidding!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

We will be here whenever you want to check in. Our forum members are A-1 people.

Hey, what about a lap steel or a Jeff Healey-type of thing?
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO