New job possibility

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Congrats. I chronicled losing job last fall due to COVID/budget BS and have found the same - there is a lot of opportunity out there despite a lot of the doom/gloom.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
honyock
Reactions:

Just want to follow up since I had some really good news today.

I am going to be promoted to a manager position. Going to be a major change for me as I have basically been a one man band my entire career (other than training a couple new engineers and running a small weather shop while in the Air Force), but it is something I need to do to make myself better and grow as a person. Hopefully I can be a better boss to other people than I have been of myself...

A Sr VP of our company asked me to take on this role due to the feedback from everyone they had talked to about me and the work I have been doing that they had taken notice of.

It almost seems too fast since I barely moved up the ladder at my prior employer in 7+ years of exceptional work.

If I don't come around as often, that will be the reason.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Floridian FX
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:30 am Just want to follow up since I had some really good news today.

I am going to be promoted to a manager position. Going to be a major change for me as I have basically been a one man band my entire career (other than training a couple new engineers and running a small weather shop while in the Air Force), but it is something I need to do to make myself better and grow as a person. Hopefully I can be a better boss to other people than I have been of myself...

A Sr VP of our company asked me to take on this role due to the feedback from everyone they had talked to about me and the work I have been doing that they had taken notice of.

It almost seems too fast since I barely moved up the ladder at my prior employer in 7+ years of exceptional work.

Congrats! I was thrown into a manager position right as covid hit in 2020. At least you will be on the tail end of that. Good Luck!
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:30 am Just want to follow up since I had some really good news today.

What is this "job" thing of which you speak? I've been retired so long I've forgotten what the word means. :lol:
Congrats, I think.
You may find yourself coming around more often as a stress reliever. Management positions with large companies tend to create mucho stress.
One guy I knew defined the job as a "revolving S.O.B." because he was an S.O.B. to everyone above him, and everyone below him
but he couldn't call anyone an S.O.B. :D
Good luck!
Gandalf the Intonationer
jtcnj
Reactions:

Congrats, hope it works out for the better!
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Congratulations NGD will celebrate it right LOL!
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Gongrats my friend I don't know you but you seem like a great guy from your post and I like to hear about good things happening to good people.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Congrats, Nate!

Are you ready for the 'unsung-gratification'?

Meaning, your value will be measured in the output and morale of your team, not you.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
uwmcscott
Reactions:

Congrats Nate! It is a time of unprecedented opportunity right now, and your company is certainly making a good choice to keep good people happy. I hope that the Mangement thing works out - I've been down that road before and it can be very satisfying and frustrating at the same time ;-) The good news is though that they would not have asked you to do it if they didn't think you could.

The most surprising thing to me when moving into management was how quickly the dynamic changes between you and some of your coworkers, especially those who had been peers and are now direct reports. For most people it's really no big deal, but some there's an instant change. A few will likely be resentful that they didn't get the opportunity, and some people just treat their boss much differently than their peers. The most important thing I learned was that I needed to spend more time listening than talking ;-)
ID10t
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pm The most important thing I learned was that I needed to spend more time listening than talking
I am a heathen but still refer to that as God's ratio. We've got two ears and one mouth, we should use them proportionately.

And congratulations honyock.

I'll shut up now.
OMB
Reactions:

Sweet - Congrats!
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
honyock
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote:Congrats, Nate!

Are you ready for the 'unsung-gratification'?

Meaning, your value will be measured in the output and morale of your team, not you.
Pretty much expecting it.

Luckily this company has been run so bass ackwards by the outgoing management that I have a lot of low hanging fruit from which to pick. Although now instead of being able to swoop in from engineering and swoop back to my relative safety of the cube, I have to actually follow up and track all those metrics and I get to play fantasy baseball manager with the production schedule. Hope my analytical mind can cope with the people management stuff. I am so much better with number and machines.

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote:Congrats Nate! It is a time of unprecedented opportunity right now, and your company is certainly making a good choice to keep good people happy. I hope that the Mangement thing works out - I've been down that road before and it can be very satisfying and frustrating at the same time ;-) The good news is though that they would not have asked you to do it if they didn't think you could.

The most surprising thing to me when moving into management was how quickly the dynamic changes between you and some of your coworkers, especially those who had been peers and are now direct reports. For most people it's really no big deal, but some there's an instant change. A few will likely be resentful that they didn't get the opportunity, and some people just treat their boss much differently than their peers. The most important thing I learned was that I needed to spend more time listening than talking ;-)
One thing going for me is that I have built good working relationships with folks pretty quick and people that will be working under me have been coming to me for help and guidance even as a new guy from almost the very start. I think they respect me and hopefully won't think it wasn't earned, even if I am new to this place I have a lot of experience and Tucson is small so the folks I have worked with talked to the folks here.

I am a huge introvert so sometimes come off as a unfriendly person. Once people get to know me I talk their ear off, but I won't say boo if I am new to the room.

One thing i am a little apprehensive about is that I also only speak English and most of the folks I will be managing are native Spanish speakers so I hope they don't hold it against me. I am going to try to relearn Spanish now that I have so many folks to interface with at our 3 plants in Mexico so that they can laugh at my Michigan accent (I can at least roll my Rs and do the ñ sound properly)

mickey
Reactions:

All the spanish I've ever needed (found useful) is:

cerveza por favor
Gandalf the Intonationer
ID10t
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm I am going to try to relearn Spanish now
I have been using Duolingo for Turkish and I'm pretty impressed. Going the all free route and I end up remediating as much as working on lessons.
I can muddle through a little Spanish but my most useful phrase was "donde dolor." Let's hope you don't need that one.
honyock
Reactions:

ID10t wrote:
honyock wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm I am going to try to relearn Spanish now
I have been using Duolingo for Turkish and I'm pretty impressed. Going the all free route and I end up remediating as much as working on lessons.
I can muddle through a little Spanish but my most useful phrase was "donde dolor." Let's hope you don't need that one.
I just downloaded the app, I remember and have picked up more than I would have expected.

The gender modifier o/a kept dinging me.

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 pm All the spanish I've ever needed (found useful) is:

cerveza por favor
Just in case you come to Thailand :

'ou Bia (Singha, Chang, Leo) na Khrab

I gave you three choices for beer.. And here they may serve ice with your beer (crazy I know) so if you don't want ice : ' Mai ou nam kaeng khrab'

Now you're set
honyock
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:05 pm
mickey wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 pm All the spanish I've ever needed (found useful) is:

cerveza por favor
Just in case you come to Thailand :

'ou Bia (Singha, Chang, Leo) na Khrab

I gave you three choices for beer.. And here they may serve ice with your beer (crazy I know) so if you don't want ice : ' Mai ou nam kaeng khrab'

Now you're set
The old guy that runs the local Thai place always gets me to try adding all sorts of stuff and is probably the number one reason I love Thai food to this day. He is the so patient with our attempts at ordering by the names, but we almost always just end up ordering by number.
Chocol8
Reactions:

cerveza por favor
Mas tequila
Houblues
Reactions:

uwmcscott
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm One thing going for me is that I have built good working relationships with folks pretty quick and people that will be working under me have been coming to me for help and guidance even as a new guy from almost the very start. I think they respect me and hopefully won't think it wasn't earned, even if I am new to this place I have a lot of experience and Tucson is small so the folks I have worked with talked to the folks here.

I am a huge introvert so sometimes come off as a unfriendly person. Once people get to know me I talk their ear off, but I won't say boo if I am new to the room.

One thing i am a little apprehensive about is that I also only speak English and most of the folks I will be managing are native Spanish speakers so I hope they don't hold it against me. I am going to try to relearn Spanish now that I have so many folks to interface with at our 3 plants in Mexico so that they can laugh at my Michigan accent (I can at least roll my Rs and do the ñ sound properly)
Coming into the situation from outside can indeed be an advantage as there is not as much history. Anything you can do to relate ( like speaking the native language when possible ) will certainly also show that you are serious about it.

Bottom line though is that some people just don't like authority/management so try not to get too discouraged the first time you get the could shoulder because it will happen. I made the mistake of trying to please everyone the first time I took a management role and it just about did me in.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Congrats
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

cerveza por favor
@mickey you for got to preface that with 2 words Dos Equis :D
honyock
Reactions:

redman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:00 am

cerveza por favor
@mickey you for got to preface that with 2 words Dos Equis :D
There are so many better beers coming out of Mexico now...When we went to the plant in Tecate there were some really decent beers coming out of the Baja region (I am sure there are others as well). Don't need to settle for the same old boring ambers or lagers anymore.
redman
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 pm

There are so many better beers coming out of Mexico now...When we went to the plant in Tecate there were some really decent beers coming out of the Baja region (I am sure there are others as well). Don't need to settle for the same old boring ambers or lagers anymore.

When you get my age your lucky to get a Bud Light :D