OT: non-cryto wild money?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

As I am reshuffling some retirement money, bringing it under one roof to simplify, (the big firm from Boston), I have this idea of taking a very small portion (within IRA confines) and get into wild money, non-crypto, leaving it untouched for next five years.

What says you?

Other/Related: as a soon-69 year old, I plugged in one of there longevity calculator, and was almost disappointed to see the 86 year old projected figure! I was not expecting to be around that long, and may not want to, given a choice.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

The 2000 bubble burst stopped me from day trading. Since then, I have been a buy-and-hold kind of investor. Last month saw some serious loss, but last week's gains more than made up for those, so a good recent example. I do believe in a wide diversity.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I am taking a mere 10%, not a whole lot, considering the rest will be pretty conservative, as it should be. Thinking of it, I could get simply into managed aggressive growth bit, forgetting about some elusive pick.
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
mickey
Reactions:

I wouldn't invest your money into crypto.
Sort of a play on the old "I wouldn't f her with your..."
Gandalf the Intonationer
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

It probably depends on how much you need the money. Being that close to retirement, you should factor in the possibility that it will be worth nothing ( or very little ) in those same 5 years. You could also make a lot - which is the appeal of high-risk investments for anyone - but many do it earlier in their investing career in case things go south and you need to make up the losses somehow.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

I can take a 10% risk. Heck, I really already am in the 60% risk of being dead (without modern meds.)!

Actually, on the old board, I remember asking what promising industry or niche products you folks liked, or knew about. That would be a way to approach it.

As I am reshuffling a bit, it amazes me how the big dogs list has changed, and how the investment world has grabbed the Apple, Tesla, etc., "soft" goods, leaving behind, say a Caterpillar, or such.
Alphabet/Google is not going to feed the world.
uwmcscott
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:28 pm I can take a 10% risk. Heck, I really already am in the 60% risk of being dead (without modern meds.)!
I likely have about 10-15 years until I retire if you follow the percentages and such. For a good portion of my life I didn't really have anything left to invest after paying the bills other than what got auto-deducted from my paychecks for the work pension plan. I've always been a mostly conservative investor and done index funds, etc and part of me wishes I had done some more risky stuff early in my career. I have some friends who have made millions and others that have spent every penny they earned and have literally zero saved.

Another thing that crosses my mind now that i'm closer to the end than the beginning ( 51 years old ) is how much do I really "need" to save? If I save it all for later and then get hit by a bus or catch the deadly version of COVID somehow, then it was kind of all for naught, right?
honyock
Reactions:

PoodlesAgain wrote:I can take a 10% risk. Heck, I really already am in the 60% risk of being dead (without modern meds.)!

Actually, on the old board, I remember asking what promising industry or niche products you folks liked, or knew about. That would be a way to approach it.

As I am reshuffling a bit, it amazes me how the big dogs list has changed, and how the investment world has grabbed the Apple, Tesla, etc., "soft" goods, leaving behind, say a Caterpillar, or such.
Alphabet/Google is not going to feed the world.
The worth is all in an idea today.

A good one might be a company like Redwood Materials (they are still private I think). They are leading the charge on recycling modern battery technologies. Who knows when they might offer an IPO. But their funding went from like $40mm to $700mm in just the past year...they just partnered with Ford in a recycling program for EV batteries.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
ID10t
Reactions:

Don't misread me or think that I truly know what I am talking about, but I like silver.
We don't have much. We buy a tube every year to give for Christmas and end up with the strangling coins. As such we have a little and it has the potential to increase handsomely and even the losses weigh out sooner than later. There are options to have it in hand or have it held in a vault. The ability to reliquify it can be challenging depending on how much or little you are dealing with and your need for speed. Our return on investment killed in Spring of 2020 and we are still way ahead. Silver on hand is good for estate planning and taxes as long as everyone gets along.

What is difficult for me to get in execution but okay in concept is that it is just fine to make pennies on the dollar (and getting back that dollar) as long as you have many dollar's. That is how old money works.
The saying for zombie apocalypse people is buy as much silver as you can carry and as much gold as you can afford. That isn't us, but our Christmas list loves us because, well, shiney and heavy :D
ID10t
Reactions:

^ and depending on where and how you buy, silver may stretch your IRA cap if that is appealing.
mickey
Reactions:

Is having silver in your IRA the same as having cash in it?
Gandalf the Intonationer
ID10t
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm Is having silver in your IRA the same as having cash in it?
I think so but I am not qualified to answer that with any authority or direct knowledge. I think an IRA invests funds in stocks & bonds and silver and gold IRA's invest in silver and gold.
I am always leary of what an actor is selling me on TV, but shiney and heavy I like.
mozz
Reactions:

You should be playing crypto. Not anything major but for fun it's easy to make some extra money. SHIBA INU is up 534% in 1 month. I will sell soon. Paid off the wife's car last year, have 1 payment left on the house thanks to certain coins last year. You have to spend a lot of time and jump early then sell before you think you should sell. My plan is slowly working and I'm sticking to it.
AGF refugee
uwmcscott
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:27 pm You should be playing crypto. Not anything major but for fun it's easy to make some extra money. SHIBA INU is up 534% in 1 month. I will sell soon. Paid off the wife's car last year, have 1 payment left on the house thanks to certain coins last year. You have to spend a lot of time and jump early then sell before you think you should sell. My plan is slowly working and I'm sticking to it.
What platform do you use if I might ask? And what are your main sources of info regarding trends/coins - are there public resources or do you have to "know someone who knows someone" to get the good info?
golem
Reactions:

None of us can see the future. I like crypto currency at a conceptual level, but some of the thinks I like about it also make it more volatile and susceptible to market manipulation. I think there's a lot of hype around it and some currencies make no sense to me except as a meme or joke.
mozz
Reactions:

Exactly. It is volatile. I have met a bunch of people, mostly all older than me, who think crypto is fake, not real blah blah. I'm making money. You have to put a effort in to learn about it and learn to ignore a lot also. Read all the latest. Most any i have bought and held because of some MSM article i read, i have lost money then finally broke even. To me it's more of take a chance, buy, hold for x amount of days, sell once it becomes more mainstream, then take your profits. If you are looking long term, buy Bitcoin itself and just sit on it. Don't make a account on Robinhood, you can make some $$ but the prices are not market prices and when you want to sell they are delayed so they can make profit from your decisions.
AGF refugee
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I have no money worries in my retirement because I have no money to worry about. :D
mickey
Reactions:

redman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 am I have no money worries in my retirement because I have no money to worry about. :D
Entirely too many people are in that situation, unfortunately it appears most are women.
Gandalf the Intonationer
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

mickey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am
redman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 am I have no money worries in my retirement because I have no money to worry about. :D
Entirely too many people are in that situation, unfortunately it appears most are women.

You are right Mickey I have friends that barely make it all they have is SS and not much of that. Fortunately I made pretty good money and get a decent amount for SS but as you know that ain't much I did however take my dad's advice and that was to put in the max allowed in the company retirement and continued the whole length of my employment. I just got lucky cable took off and I was there almost from the beginning late 79 and it really grew during those years. I opted for monthly checks with that and SS I'm comfortable but have limited disposable funds if I didn't have that 2nd check each month life would get hard quick.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

Only reason I have spare money now is because, I had only two real well paying jobs, both very short, but I saved like crazy when I had extra. Then compound for 29, 30 years even in just middle of the road stuff. Try not
MichaelR
Reactions:

It seems to me like Bitcoin crashes and rebounds on a regular basis so why not buy the dips and sell when it rebounds over and over. There is a lot I don't know about crypto such as the exchanges which seem to be the ones I read about having been hacked and the percentage you must pay them also need a careful looking into.