Do you lean towards believing in extraterrestrials or not

I think we have been visited
60%
There is likely some other explanation for these sightings
40%

Total votes: 10
Gergo
Reactions:

Do you lean towards believing in "visitors", or not? Personally, I am extremely skeptical of that, but I guess we really don't know for sure. It really should be openly investigated, just to find out what it could be.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... ket-newtab
My playing is always better after some good beer
toomanycats
Reactions:

Ever since I was 8 years old in 1977 and watched Leonard Nimoy on In Search of I've wondered about UFOs, The Loch Ness Monster, spontaneous combustion, ghosts, and all that sort of stuff. But the thing I've wondered about the most is the Patterson–Gimlin film.

10529271_web1_Patterson-GimlinHero.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I don't find any value in having a stance either way. We do not know what we do not know. When we see incontrovertible evidence of something, we can then know it. If we have strong enough reason to suspect something, we should keep our minds open to it, but my thoughts on the subject go no further than that. Life more intelligent than us might exist, or might not. We will know when we know.
mickey
Reactions:

Considering the distances involved, coupled with us being a podunk little planet off in a rural corner of the cosmos,
I think believing we have been visited by space aliens is a symptom of an over inflated ego. :D
Pale-Blue-Dot1-672x372.jpg
Gandalf the Intonationer
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

index.jpg
index.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Lamf77
Reactions:

Non-believer since Schenker left.....
Chocol8
Reactions:

The thing with UFOs that’s hardest to explain is why any civilization with the brains to fly here would want to. Even if they really wanted to observe us, I am sure their remote monitoring tech would be way better than ours and it would be a lot less inconspicuous than showing up in a flying saucer with a bunch skinny grey buddies who have an annal probing fetish.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

If there is indeed another entity that is technologically advanced enough to travel to our little rock, we are screwed no matter what we learn about them. And if there is not, then i shelve it with all the the other tinfoil hat/conspiracy theory books.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Chocol8
Reactions:

bleys21
Reactions:

My pet alien theory is that they've established a quarantine of sorts around our solar system. As long as we don't gain advanced space travel, they'll leave us alone...if we do, and we start looking like we're going to spread, they exterminate us, thus eliminating the viral threat that is humanity :-)
ID10t
Reactions:

bleys21 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 pm My pet alien theory is that they've established a quarantine of sorts around our solar system. As long as we don't gain advanced space travel, they'll leave us alone...if we do, and we start looking like we're going to spread, they exterminate us, thus eliminating the viral threat that is humanity :-)
Genius, I like it.
Partscaster
Reactions:

at The Press Club on Sept. 27, 2010, about seven retired Air Force nuclear missile base officers, including a retired nuclear missile base commander, gave testimony to the different experiences they had regarding ufo type aircraft buzzing the bases, shining beams down the silos, and creating silo power shutdowns.
A former missile base commander reported following weird lights through the local forests and seeing a glowing triangular shaped object moving through the trees and then blasting upward into the sky, circling back around and shining a beam of light back down at him and his crew.

There used to be a long yutube of this testimony. I watched it several times. Now there is only reference to it , that I can find. It was amazing.

Also airforce pilot Gordon Cooper, who went on to be a Mercury astronaut, reports seeing ufo's buzzing US Air Force planes, and a landing in US.

[url]
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
MichaelR
Reactions:

As a teenager in California I remember seeing far off lights in the sky that could suddenly change direction in a blink of the eye. Its always made me wonder what could have done this, they were not lit like normal air traffic and the change of direction was instant and faster than even a fighter jet could do. I haven't given them much thought over the years because I was busy with life which is complicated enough as it is.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I think most sightings can be explained away. But not all of them.

If we exist, so can others.

I wager 40 quatloos on the newcomer.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
bleys21
Reactions:

You too? In the summer one year, I was probably around 10, my friend and I would sleep outside (this is before AC, so much nicer outside.) One night, my friend woke me up, and we watched some little spec of light zoom across the sky, make 2 "impossible" 90 degree turns, then shoot off towards the far horizon. We always chalked it up to living near Edwards AFB, where they test all sorts of cool stuff, but I've never seen anything since that can make those kind of moves, and its been 40 years...
MichaelR wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:30 pm As a teenager in California I remember seeing far off lights in the sky that could suddenly change direction in a blink of the eye. Its always made me wonder what could have done this, they were not lit like normal air traffic and the change of direction was instant and faster than even a fighter jet could do. I haven't given them much thought over the years because I was busy with life which is complicated enough as it is.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Have you guys ever seen a military air transport convoy? Last winter my wife and I were walking and, among the stars, was an as-far-as -we-could-see train of lights in a perfectly straight line headed north somewhere.

I knew that it wasnt extraterrestrial so I googled it. It 's not uncommon, I was surprised to learn.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Gergo
Reactions:

Doesn't anyone find it odd that a lot of these "UFO" sightings happen to be around MILITARY bases? Hum. Imagine that
My playing is always better after some good beer
mickey
Reactions:

Gandalf the Intonationer
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm
This is one of my favorite skits of all time. I've shown it to so many people over the years...it never gets old.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

I believe that given the size of the universe, that it would be supreme arrogance on our part to think that we're all there is. That's a lot of wasted real estate, if so.

Have they visited us? Who knows? The distances involved seem insurmountable with our limited understanding of the universe. They would have to have some method of travel that we haven't even dreamed of yet.

So, I firmly believe that they're out there...but we're nowhere close to them.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

bleys21 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 pm My pet alien theory is that they've established a quarantine of sorts around our solar system. As long as we don't gain advanced space travel, they'll leave us alone...if we do, and we start looking like we're going to spread, they exterminate us, thus eliminating the viral threat that is humanity :-)
There's also the school of thought that all civilizations reach what is basically an extermination point. We discover some new technology that we don't fully understand (bashing exotic particles into one another as a poor example) and start pissing about with it, thus setting into motion some monstrous chain reaction that turns out immediate neighborhood into a black hole or something.

So, it's not that there aren't any others out there, it's just that they keep wiping themselves out. Maybe all those black holes are grave sites.

Who knows? It's an interesting theory.
bleys21
Reactions:

Yeah, I'd say that's a more likely theory than mine. Considering the age of the universe, and the distances involved, the chance of us running into remote (i.e. radio wave) evidence of another civilization has got to be really really low. If they were out there, they likely existed outside our very small time span where we have been paying attention.