HULU Now Officially SUCKS!

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

First they raised prices 20% and now they give you 4 MINUTES of Commercials
for every FIVE MINUTES of Content.

By bumping up the number of Commercials that means they get even MORE
revenue ON TOP of the 20% rate increase.

Whaddabunchadicks.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
MichaelR
Reactions:

The reason I cut the chord was so I would not have to pay for TV and still have to watch commercials'. If there doing this I will cancel them, Thanks for the heads up.
peskypesky
Reactions:

I've never used Hulu.

No commercials on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Yet.
Banned by Momo
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

All of them suck ( Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney ) at some level. We have Netflix and Disney ( promo ) mostly for the kids but yeah, I'd be happy to just have free youtube most of the time.

I will say the one that I do pay for that I enjoy is the Motor Trend channel. I think it was about $50 for a year last time I renewed, and it's mostly car/automotive related content, but some of it is very well produced. There's a lot of lame reality show drama stuff on it too, but they have a good core of about 6-8 shows that are very good.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Mossman
Reactions:

I ditched Hulu over 10 years ago... Hulu was free of charge (with LOTS of advertising) back then, and when Hulu+ came around it was promoted as "ad free", so I subscribed pretty quickly. Well, it wasn't long before Hulu+ switched from "no ads" to "limited advertising" (without so much as a warning to their subscribers), and became a subscription-only platform, so you couldn't go back to the free version even if you wanted to.

I told Hulu where to stick it and never went back.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Yeah, I just paused HULU for 12 weeks, during which time I won't pay a dime, and might decide they're done for good. They started going downhill as soon as Disney bought them - no surprise.
Chocol8
Reactions:

I just got 18 months of free Hulu with a TV purchase. I doubt I will renew, but for free it is OK.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

I got Netflix mainly for the GF but most of the Netflix original series are utter crap. A few UK based police / crime series were great and I do enjoy my vintage Star Trek so it stays for now. But I'd be just as happy with YouTube and free vintage movie channels
jtcnj
Reactions:

Poop.
We are still considering the options to drop cable; Hulu was one of them.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Flatline
Reactions:

I got in on the $1.99/mo for 12 months Black Friday Hulu deal. I haven't watched it much lately as we've been watching a couple shows on Netflix. If the ads are getting that bad, I'll likely cancel Hulu. I was tempted to cancel Netflix after the recent $1 more per month price hike.
golem
Reactions:

I don't know what HBO Max costs since it's given to me with AT&T service. But they really upped their game this year by letting you watch movies as they are released to theatres.
OMB
Reactions:

OTA - Still has commercials (we get 40 plus channels) but cost NADA. We just hit MUTE when a commercial(s) comes on and do something else. Been 12 years without cable TV. I can not see any reason a person would still subscribe. We have Amazon, Netflix and Hulu. Hard to keep up with all the options. The price/value ratio still seems pretty good.

For those of you who really hate commercials then set up a PC on your TV and there are plenty of sites to stream a show for free. Most folks won't bother.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
peskypesky
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:11 pm I got Netflix mainly for the GF but most of the Netflix original series are utter crap. A few UK based police / crime series were great and I do enjoy my vintage Star Trek so it stays for now. But I'd be just as happy with YouTube and free vintage movie channels
I think the Netflix series are pretty damn good in general. Definitely better than the stuff that comes out of Hollywood.

That being said, I think the British stuff is even better. Especially the detective shows.

I'm thinking of signing up with the Criterion channel, because I'm a big fan of foreign films, classic films, arthouse films, etc.

I already have Amazon Prime, so if I sign up for Criterion, I may cancel Netflix. I don't watch nearly enough "tv" to need three subscriptions.
Banned by Momo
solteroblues
Reactions:

we have Youtube TV, amazon prime, netflix, disney +, hbo max (disney+ and HBO max come bundled with our AT&T internet) and we watch more regular YouTube than anything, but it's gotten awful with commercials too
peskypesky
Reactions:

solteroblues wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am we watch more regular YouTube than anything
this is what I'm watching on Youtube now:

BLAZING GUNS!!
Banned by Momo
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Flatline wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 am I got in on the $1.99/mo for 12 months Black Friday Hulu deal. I haven't watched it much lately as we've been watching a couple shows on Netflix. If the ads are getting that bad, I'll likely cancel Hulu. I was tempted to cancel Netflix after the recent $1 more per month price hike.
Out of curiosity, what does Netflix cost monthly in the USA ? I pay about $ 9.50 monthly here in Thailand for the basic level onky 1 TV / Device concurrent streamed and downloadable episodes via app.
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm
Flatline wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 am I got in on the $1.99/mo for 12 months Black Friday Hulu deal. I haven't watched it much lately as we've been watching a couple shows on Netflix. If the ads are getting that bad, I'll likely cancel Hulu. I was tempted to cancel Netflix after the recent $1 more per month price hike.
Out of curiosity, what does Netflix cost monthly in the USA ? I pay about $ 9.50 monthly here in Thailand for the basic level onky 1 TV / Device concurrent streamed and downloadable episodes via app.
I was paying more than that several years ago when Netflix raised their prices & cut what I had access to, so I dropped them.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Flatline
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm
$13.99 /mo now for the standard 2 concurrent 1080p plan or $17.99/mo for the 4 concurrent 4k plan. I think there is also a $8.99/mo plan for 1 concurrent and non-HD.
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Really... I watched season 4 of Rick and Morty yesterday again without advertisement.
eicca
Reactions:

There are rumblings that YouTube is going the same route. So you can either pay and get ads, or not pay and get ads. Guess which route I'm taking.
-={Resident Boston Fanatic}=-
Agile AL-3200 satin black; Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop, signed by Boston, retired; The Amazing Mystery Kit Bass
1984 Rockman X100 Rev10; 1988 Rockman Sustainor 200; 1983 Yamaha PB-1
Custom built Stradivarius-model cello
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

eicca wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:23 pm There are rumblings that YouTube is going the same route. So you can either pay and get ads, or not pay and get ads. Guess which route I'm taking.
They actually went that way a while ago - YouTube Premium is the ad-free version of "normal" YouTube, and YouTube TV adds things that Hulu/netflix/prime have.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

I read somewhere online that Hulu had great offerings, so we signed up for one month—having scrolled through their inventory, we decided that most of it is garbage, and will not be renewing.
If you're into foreign movies and series, MHZ is outstanding, with content from Italy, Germany, France, Scandinavia, Central Europe and more—very good value …
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

eicca wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:23 pm There are rumblings that YouTube is going the same route. So you can either pay and get ads, or not pay and get ads. Guess which route I'm taking.
With Google involved, there will likely be a third plan to pay more for only ads.
Mossman
Reactions:

I haven't had much use for television for over 20 years, but I had Netflix for a little while, a couple years ago, and I agree with @Tonray's Ghost. I found the content to range from awful to mediocre, and after a while, I realized I was spending more time looking for something to watch than actually watching anything, so I ended up cancelling it in less than a year.

I find more interesting things to watch on YouTube, so I subscribed to YouTube Premium (formerly: "YouTube Red"), to avoid the ads (and to be able to listen to videos/music with my phone screen off). But after YouTube became censorious, and copyright mad, I decided I didn't want to fund that, and cancelled my subscription.

Now, I use the Ghostery ad blocker and I never see a second of advertising on YouTube... And on the Brave Browser, I can turn off the phone's screen and stick it in my pocket, and the video keeps playing.

But YouTube isn't what it used to be. It used to be a great platform for discovery, but now they only show you what they want you to watch. I remember when you could start watching a video about one subject, and then an hour later you'd be worlds away from where you started, discovering some cool and interesting shit along the way. Now, YouTube just keeps recommending the same videos (and creators) over and over again, no matter how many times you click "not interested".

golem wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:46 am I don't know what HBO Max costs since it's given to me with AT&T service. But they really upped their game this year by letting you watch movies as they are released to theatres.
That's not HBO Max, that's the movie industry. They're releasing movies in whatever theaters are open/in business, while concurrently releasing them on streaming platforms in order to get as much immediate return as possible. They don't care that it's going to murder the theater industry.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
peskypesky
Reactions:

t100d wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm
If you're into foreign movies and series, MHZ is outstanding, with content from Italy, Germany, France, Scandinavia, Central Europe and more—very good value …
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check out MHZ.
Banned by Momo