Having problems with my nut

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Yes, it's true, and quite distressing. Heh-heh.

I replaced the nut on my Kramer Baretta Special with the agreed upon replacement Tusq XL. I got the nut to fit clean and square (no sanding on the bottom of the nut) and my B string (thank heavens it wasn't my G string) started buzzing. The buzzing went away when I played the first fret. I raised the action, to no avail.

So, I decided I had to shim the nut. I had a mashed up brass shim for a Floyd nut, so I cut a small piece from that, folded it over, flattened it out, and reattached the nut with the shim in place. The buzzing is now worse. Again, it goes away when I play at the first fret.

Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this issue? Given my outlay for the guitar was so low, I would hate to take it to a tech.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
mozz
Reactions:

Need to see where its buzzing. Fret at the third and see how much clearance there is at 1st.
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

20240404_141631.jpg
There is room. The string rings freely between the nut and the 3rd fret. The neck has a slight bit of relief.

Now the issue is lessened again, but still present. It gets worse if I bend the string behind the nut.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

In Canada doesn't the government cover the cost of shimming your nuts if they start buzzing in your G string? Asking for a friend. ;)

But seriously, try running a nut file through the slot of the B string to make a back angle running downwards from the fretboard side towards the headstock. Don't lower the entire slot, but just angle one side down. You basically want an edge for the string to rest on as it passes through the nut, not unlike the crown on a fret.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Sadly the government doesn't cover GUITAR nuts. Neither does my G string.

No nut files to my name, so filing is out.

Oddly enough, I had a similar issue on the high B string of my JS22-7. The shim solved it completely. Of course, it also has a straightish string pull.
- Ron Swanson
mozz
Reactions:

You can try a wound string for a file. I don't like shims, I would try glueing it first with wood glue. Hiroshima files are one of my favorite purchases, though not cheap.
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I am not fond of shims either, but did what I thought I had to. The shim and the nut are attached with wood glue.

I am sure that part of the problem is the hockey stick headstock shape. In my research, the KramerForumz folks warned a lot of people that the shape and angle of the headstock make it hard to keep the guitar in tune when using the bar, even with locking tuners and a Tusq XL nut. The answers are to live with it, or install a Floyd.
- Ron Swanson
Partscaster
Reactions:

I bet its the nut slot. That headstock makes the B and E string move out the nut at a bigger angle than many headstocks. I wonder if the slot needs to be widened at the backside of the nut, or if the slot floor isnt angled down enough to the back, as TMC mentioned.

I picked up a cheap set of nut slot files years ago. Now, the only comparably cheap option I see are the abraded wire file sets I see on Amazon for less than 20$.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

I agree with partscaster the nut is probably to tight on that string. As said in a previous post what I also did before having files was use and old larger string to widen it or maybe even a finger nail clipper file for width. You will get it figured out im sure sounds like nut is good on depth just not width or its to sharp angled for that funky angled headstock.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao