Soldering iron needed to be soldered

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

My trusty Weller WLC100 soldering iron heating element gave up last week, after 18 years and thousands of hours use. I got lucky and found original replacement HE40 40w heating elements for cheap on flea bay (bought a pair for $39.29). However, what to do when your soldering iron requires a soldering iron?

Solution:
20240108_164307.jpg
20240108_164259.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

That sounds like a "phone a friend" situation.
tobijohn
Reactions:

I had no idea the internal element could be replaced, so I bought a standalone hand unit that plugs into the base ...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mickey
Reactions:

I can't believe you do not have three or four different size/type Weller soldering stations? :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
deeaa
Reactions:

I've probably had 9-10 soldering stations or systems in 18 years. Always manage to ruin them somehow, or can't find new heads for them. The last time I bought a Weller and luck would have it it's a model being phased out and it's getting hard to find heads for it.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
https://www.facebook.com/deeheikkinen/
YouTube.com/deeaa
http://www.mosfite.com (redirects to Google site)
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

@BatUtilityBelt - Amazon to the rescue, overnight for about $60 - a brand-new Weller WLC 100! I figured the first one was used to the point of abuse and I had 'muscle memory' on using it, it was a good purchase.

@mickey - I am frugal and even with gig guitars, doubles of possessions have to be a necessity before I consider having multiples. My wife and I hardly ever impulse buy and often wait long periods of time before making purchasing decisions. I think that was overexposure to depression era family members as youths (which is missing today).

@tobijohn - they are now hen's teeth. I could only find 5 of the genuine OEM NOS Weller replacements and bought 2 (potentially a lifetime supply for me). Looking at the box, these could have been 1980-1990's era. Weller no longer sells standalone heatnig elements. There was a company selling knockoffs on Amazon and eBay as well. Since I am a daily user, I went with the tried and true.

@deeaa - I know what you mean about the soldering tips (I go through about 4 per year). I think that is planned obsolescence, which I believe backfired on Weller with the WLC 100 and its 40w pen. Around the 2005 time, Weller stopped making the tips and changed tips for their new models. Then came China clones through eBay and Amazon, which IMHO, forced Weller to start making them again. The Weller tips last longer because they appear to be a better steel core and the imports are pot metal cores. The tips actually corrode inside the chrome-copper jacket, from all the heating and cooling cycles.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
toomanycats
Reactions:

That worked out weller.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tobijohn
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:31 am That worked out weller.
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:31 am That worked out weller.
It was no Hakko job either.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson