1960s? Hofner Bass Knockoff Refurb

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
jhull54
Reactions:

Been slowly working on this the past month. Found it at a flea market for $5.

It was in pretty bad shape. Coming unglued in places, and missing some electronics.

Ordered new wiring and bridge.

I'll post more photos shortly.

jhull54
Reactions:

Here's what I've done so far. Will need to reposition the tailpiece. May also have to raise the bridge a little, but it's coming along.

This is a 25.5" scale bass.

jhull54
Reactions:

Here's how it ended up. A lot of Titebond, new narrower nut and tailpiece, new bridge. Rewired and some cosmetic cleanup.

Will always have some bumps and bruises, but she's playable, and a hoot to play.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mozz
Reactions:

Can't see why it needed a new tailpiece, string appears off the saddle in the July picture. Most likely a Teisco, Kay, Sekova, Japan made.
AGF refugee
jhull54
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:06 pm Can't see why it needed a new tailpiece, string appears off the saddle in the July picture. Most likely a Teisco, Kay, Sekova, Japan made.
The original tailpiece was actually mounted off-center. The bass had been dropped on it's end at some point, and the side where the strap button should go was cracked and literally had a piece broken off. Had a heck of a time gluing that back together. The tailpiece was wide enough that the E and G strings were (IMO) too close to the edge of the fretboard. But yes--the E string was virtually off the saddle in the original photo. The new bridge, nut, and tailpiece are (supposedly) Hofner specs width-wise, and I was able to remount the new tailpiece in the proper spot.

Definitely Japanese, for sure.