Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Friends don't let friends modify their tube amps, with myths they learned on the internet. A Carvin Legacy Steve Vai Signature.

8 hours of pulling out bad mods, rewiring a Heyboer Splawn 100w output transformer that someone installed incorrectly, replaced a failing inverter tube (killed from the bad mods) and replaced the 24 year old filter caps.

All better, although only capable of 78w (still loud)!
20230903_160828.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
deeaa
Reactions:

I figured might as well refret all my guitars with SS as a batch job so yesterday I did my old Ibanez. Actually made a video of my newly developed work practices too will post that as well..Image

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
https://www.facebook.com/deeheikkinen/
YouTube.com/deeaa
http://www.mosfite.com (redirects to Google site)
deeaa
Reactions:

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
https://www.facebook.com/deeheikkinen/
YouTube.com/deeaa
http://www.mosfite.com (redirects to Google site)
jtcnj
Reactions:

Took a chance on an unbranded Tele neck on Reverb. Paid a little more than the typical ones on ebay because the seller got back to me with the thickness measurements. The nut shelf was a little uneven and cleaned up well with some file work. Fretwork wasn't bad but now great after leveling.

Problem, similar to a strat neck I got earlier this year is with the truss rod all the way counter clockwise, it is flat, no relief.
with it strung up there is a little relief but not enough. I hope it will settle in better over time. I may re-level with a slight back bow. I did that with the strat neck and it came out great.

There are no side dots. I may try my hand at them as a new skill thing. For now I used an awl and a Sharpie. (Not in the picture)
20230903_121225.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

No pics but today I had a treble bleed installed on my Les Paul Jr with the single P90. It works great. Also I am having some custom made Buddha pups installed in a semi-hollow along with treble bleeds as well. At this stage in the evolution of my playing I use low wattage tube amps, roll down the volume on the guitar so I can roll up the volume on the amp to the sweet spot without peeling paint. I needed the treble bleed to maintain tone from the guitar. "One is never to old to chase better tone." They should inscribe that on my headstone.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mozz
Reactions:

Few things going on. Bought a few 5F1 champ boards, i don't mind eyelet or turret boards, just trying these out and may make life simpler. May send a blank one out to my buddy and have him redo the hole spacing, nfb switch, few larger resistors, etc. He'll do the gerbers with a few small changes. That way i get the gerbers and can get them made a lot cheaper than buying them.
20230907_191432.jpg
Bought 3 sets of those chinese alnico 5 strat pickups, hey, for $28 most builders can't even come close to that for parts. I used to buy supplies for 50-60 sets of pickups at a time to get discounts. Looks like genuine enamel purple wire which has gone up in price a lot compared to regular 42awg poly. Staggered , not perfect but made by sloppy workers, just like fender used to do. Had a brainstorm about winding/scatter/tension today so i may implement that on these with a before and after test. I could be on to something, which other winders may already know but keep secret.

20230907_191457.jpg
Another Filmosound amp, this one had the 25l6 series string tubes, so it has been rewired and proper power transformer added. 6V6 push pull, 5Y3, 5879, 6SL7. Not over volt-aged and a little brown sounding but i love pentode V1 tubes. I think there is another projector in the shed, with a pair of 6L6 output tubes, that will be a bit more powerful.
20230907_191523.jpg
BK Butler tube driver PCB. Used by many famous musicians to make famous songs. If you ever get a chance to read up on the story, of the early partnership with Chandler, the business/ divorce/ patents/ fight/reissues etc. Very interesting. Not sure what version these boards are but easy enough to make some changes if needed for other tubes, 3 knob/4 knob/ 5 knob versions. I figured order enough boards price comes down dramatically. My forward thinking 10 years back had me buy a case of 12v/500ma bare transformers so hopefully i can stuff one in a 1590BB. I've heard most clones suck and didn't copy the original or used their own design and they are nothing like it's supposed to be. We'll see.

20230907_191716.jpg
Finally found a decent price 5F1 Champ cabinet on Ebay. Lo and behold, it was made by John Mergilli. I probably have bought 6, 7, 8 cabinets from him over the years, yet a few years back he stopped selling outright. As far as i know only made his futuristic designs/harp amps. Every now and then he puts a cabinet up for sale, maybe they are made for customers who changed their minds/canceled orders. Thing is, he makes great cabinets, quality details and you can find no flaws at all. I snagged this. Even though it's white it's a great change from the usual tweed/black champ cabinet. I know i have a blue, gray, tan 5E3 deluxe cabinets from him. At one point when he asked what color, i said "whatever color tolex you have laying around is fine with me." I do have a hunch he is building cabinets for some boutique builder as i said, no flaws to be found in his work.
20230907_191805.jpg
Lastly, a 1952 8" Jensen speaker, it's worn, repaired a few tears. Going in the cabinet above. I don't actually expect it to live too long in a 5W distorted amp but keeping my fingers crossed. I have a feeling the Kinks "you really got me" torn/ripped/speaker sound will be visiting me.
20230907_191839.jpg

On another note, friend of mine in NY state scored a few old amps, not cheap but not stolen prices either. A 5F11 tweed 1957 Fender Vibrolux and a 1960ish Magnatone 480 stereo amp with true vibrato, 2 amps and 4 speakers. Really odd tubes used in it but Buddy Holly, Billy Gibbons and a few others used these old amps. Will post some pictures once he starts the restore.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

mozz wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:31 pm Few things going on. Bought a few 5F1 champ boards, i don't mind eyelet or turret boards, just trying these out and may make life simpler. May send a blank one out to my buddy and have him redo the hole spacing, nfb switch, few larger resistors, etc. He'll do the gerbers with a few small changes. That way i get the gerbers and can get them made a lot cheaper than buying them.

20230907_191432.jpg

Bought 3 sets of those chinese alnico 5 strat pickups, hey, for $28 most builders can't even come close to that for parts. I used to buy supplies for 50-60 sets of pickups at a time to get discounts. Looks like genuine enamel purple wire which has gone up in price a lot compared to regular 42awg poly. Staggered , not perfect but made by sloppy workers, just like fender used to do. Had a brainstorm about winding/scatter/tension today so i may implement that on these with a before and after test. I could be on to something, which other winders may already know but keep secret.

20230907_191457.jpg

Another Filmosound amp, this one had the 25l6 series string tubes, so it has been rewired and proper power transformer added. 6V6 push pull, 5Y3, 5879, 6SL7. Not over volt-aged and a little brown sounding but i love pentode V1 tubes. I think there is another projector in the shed, with a pair of 6L6 output tubes, that will be a bit more powerful.

20230907_191523.jpg

BK Butler tube driver PCB. Used by many famous musicians to make famous songs. If you ever get a chance to read up on the story, of the early partnership with Chandler, the business/ divorce/ patents/ fight/reissues etc. Very interesting. Not sure what version these boards are but easy enough to make some changes if needed for other tubes, 3 knob/4 knob/ 5 knob versions. I figured order enough boards price comes down dramatically. My forward thinking 10 years back had me buy a case of 12v/500ma bare transformers so hopefully i can stuff one in a 1590BB. I've heard most clones suck and didn't copy the original or used their own design and they are nothing like it's supposed to be. We'll see.

20230907_191716.jpg

Finally found a decent price 5F1 Champ cabinet on Ebay. Lo and behold, it was made by John Mergilli. I probably have bought 6, 7, 8 cabinets from him over the years, yet a few years back he stopped selling outright. As far as i know only made his futuristic designs/harp amps. Every now and then he puts a cabinet up for sale, maybe they are made for customers who changed their minds/canceled orders. Thing is, he makes great cabinets, quality details and you can find no flaws at all. I snagged this. Even though it's white it's a great change from the usual tweed/black champ cabinet. I know i have a blue, gray, tan 5E3 deluxe cabinets from him. At one point when he asked what color, i said "whatever color tolex you have laying around is fine with me." I do have a hunch he is building cabinets for some boutique builder as i said, no flaws to be found in his work.
20230907_191805.jpg

Lastly, a 1952 8" Jensen speaker, it's worn, repaired a few tears. Going in the cabinet above. I don't actually expect it to live too long in a 5W distorted amp but keeping my fingers crossed. I have a feeling the Kinks "you really got me" torn/ripped/speaker sound will be visiting me.

20230907_191839.jpg

On another note, friend of mine in NY state scored a few old amps, not cheap but not stolen prices either. A 5F11 tweed 1957 Fender Vibrolux and a 1960ish Magnatone 480 stereo amp with true vibrato, 2 amps and 4 speakers. Really odd tubes used in it but Buddy Holly, Billy Gibbons and a few others used these old amps. Will post some pictures once he starts the restore.
You seem to happen upon some of the coolest tinkerer stuff!
mozz
Reactions:

Kutztown antique radio show this weekend coming up. I usually find some stuff there. Have to get there early, there are vultures scooping up all the deals before the opening hour. There are some unknown tubes moving up in value, and with the Russian tubes almost unobtainable/affordable i don't find $1 deals too often anymore. I should have bought that 1972 SG for $1500 a few years back.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:37 pm Kutztown antique radio show this weekend coming up. I usually find some stuff there. Have to get there early, there are vultures scooping up all the deals before the opening hour. There are some unknown tubes moving up in value, and with the Russian tubes almost unobtainable/affordable i don't find $1 deals too often anymore. I should have bought that 1972 SG for $1500 a few years back.
A 1972 SG might be on the edge of the badly built Norlins, but seems like that doesn't bother buyers anymore.
mozz
Reactions:

I remember it had the witches hat knobs and the pickup covers were embossed with "Gibson" , could have been those tarbacks.
AGF refugee
Partscaster
Reactions:

Getting my "EYB" Sitar Bridge partscaster complete. It'll be time for strings and intonation setting tomorrow.
I am psyched for this. They can sound pretty cool.
IMG_0739.jpg
someones demo
[url]
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

I had finished a partscaster with an Amber Burst finish about 2 years ago. I recently decided to match the headstock with body as I still have the same linseed paints and used a few layers of tru oil. Which was same with the body. FWIW, it is a 3 piece body, which I think is my favorite.

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mozz
Reactions:

Need a white Falcon, or LP. Well, anyway here it is with the 9lb 14oz strat.

Getting upload errors can not determine file dimensions ?????????
20230916_174540.jpg
20230916_174546.jpg
20230916_174601.jpg
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:24 am I had finished a partscaster with an Amber Burst finish about 2 years ago. I recently decided to match the headstock with body as I still have the same linseed paints and used a few layers of tru oil. Which was same with the body. FWIW, it is a 3 piece body, which I think is my favorite.

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
I was contemplating an amber burst finish recently. That is nice!
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:42 am
Partscaster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:24 am I had finished a partscaster with an Amber Burst finish about 2 years ago. I recently decided to match the headstock with body as I still have the same linseed paints and used a few layers of tru oil. Which was same with the body. FWIW, it is a 3 piece body, which I think is my favorite.

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
I was contemplating an amber burst finish recently. That is nice!
FWIW, I used linseed based artist paints, Winsor & Newton, using their Lemon Yellow Hue and Burnt Sienna. Once the paints had smudged around to my liking, just a few coats of tru oil ( 3 or 4) seemed enough.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I have had a Douglas Scope 725 for years now, and I always wanted to put a brass block on the trem. It doesn't work with a Floyd-spec block -- the screw spacing is too wide.

Then I saw one of these on AliExpress, and got to wondering whether the screw holes for this would line up.

37.5MM Ultra Solid Fat 10.4MM Brass Tremolo Block for Tremolo Bridge of Electric Guitar 63x13.5x37.5MM Brass
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXHW22

Even if it didn't fit, I wasn't out much, so why not. Last night, I took a run at it and...
20231005_145244.jpg
The original screws don't fit it, but smaller screws seem to be holding it in place -- they are countersunk. If they don't keep it located securely, I'll have to drill and find someone with a tap.

The guitar immediately sounded warmer and had more sustain, so I am calling it a win. I lost some pull-up ability, but there already wasn't much room for that. Now the question is whether agressive whammy work will cause block movement. We shall see, said the blind man...
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
glasshand
Reactions:

I had a sheet of pickguard material to make a new pickguard for one of my projects. It's big enough to cut out two pickguards. I managed to mess up on two attempts. *sigh* One of them is just kind of cracked, so might still be kind of usable.
glasshand
Reactions:

Getting around to putting the SX Hawk back together. I think it looks pretty sharp even with the original pickguard.
sx_hawk_black.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

Got my three mahogany SX hawk p90 strats out today for cleanup, play, and neck swap to a 25" conversion neck on the natural finish one, Raw Vintage saddles on the darkest sounding one (powder blue), and some upgrade Raw Vintage trem springs for all 3. Yellow has Tyson Tone lab p90s, natural has Lollar +5% set, and powderblue has Gibson p90 set. They are all a bit different in voice, and all play similarly great, and sound big and rich. Killer growlers.
The blue was a bit darker and I recently saw a set of used Raw Vintage saddles in the narrower 10.8mm on reverb for 20$. Perfect. They arrived and spurred this on. Blue sounds much better for it.
IMG_0791.jpg
This reminds me to make an SX only, herd portrait.
glasshand
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm Got my three mahogany SX hawk p90 strats out today for cleanup, play, and neck swap to a 25" conversion neck on the natural finish one
Where'd you get the conversion neck? I've been mooting getting a conversion neck for my Hawk.
Partscaster
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 pm
Partscaster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm Got my three mahogany SX hawk p90 strats out today for cleanup, play, and neck swap to a 25" conversion neck on the natural finish one
Where'd you get the conversion neck? I've been mooting getting a conversion neck for my Hawk.
I got it made by USACG back when they existed under "Tommy's" ownership.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I went a bit "nuts" on my Kramer.
20231108_141613.jpg
20231108_143205.jpg
20231120_150514.jpg
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
voodoorat
Reactions:

the sg i got recently had one minor problem that annoyed me: the 5th fret inlay was not quite flush and i could feel it catching my finger slightly when i played around the 5th fret. if it wasn't right there it might not have bugged me enough to do something but i googled around, bought some #10 super glue from stewmac and did this (sorry, the bench is a giant mess):
image.png
good news is it worked as advertised. no tactile inlay edge anymore and just a little bit of cleanup of glue later and you'd never know.

whew.
tobijohn
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:31 pm
good news is it worked as advertised. no tactile inlay edge anymore and just a little bit of cleanup of glue later and you'd never know.
How do you plan to clean up the super glue? l always end up with smudges of it around whatever I was trying to repair, and a couple fingers glued together...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Acetone cuts Krazy Glue. You might not want to use it in the same room as a nitro finish thought...
- Ron Swanson