Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
Partscaster
Reactions:

another thread that was good at last site.
--------------------------------

I'm going to be Tru Oiling some new necks, Just a few coats to keep moisture penetration down.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

My nephew gave me the body and tuning hardware for a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II bass—I had helped him buy it 2 or 3 years ago, and then he broke the truss rod nut about a year ago. Since a replacement, if you could find one, was over $250 at the time, he gave up on it, having been told that replacement necks wouldn't fit …

My wife said I should get a neck for my upcoming birthday, and I really wanted a maple board with a skunk stripe. All the less expensive ones were either rosewood or maple sans stripe, but I finally lucked out and scored an Ursa 2 neck form Rondo. I had been wanting a Precision neck, but they weren't available in my budget, plus I wanted the extra fret as on a Jazz bass.
It fits like a glove, I had only to cut away a minuscule sliver from the pickguard where it overhung the mouth of the pocket on one side.
Sharp fret ends were easily and quickly disposed of with my FretGuru file (nice tool, worth the $$). The tuner holes were a lot bigger than the Ibanez, but a friend who builds his own fretted instruments suggested wrapping the outside of the bushings with the adhesive aluminum tape they use on ductwork. Well, it must have taken 8-10 feet of the stuff, but it works great, nice snug fit.

Today I picked up a 4-pack of small Husky trigger clamps for $10 from Home Despot, which will make drilling for neck screws a lot easier than great big C-clamps.
Have a set of DR "Pure Blues" 45-105's to go on it, then we'll see if I need to get a StewMac full pocket shim or not.
After throwing on a set of Straplocks (and hopefully selling the original arrowhead buttons), I'll be set to go, except for designing a decal for the head. Not sure what to call it, been toying with some combination or reference to Ursa and Roadstar. "Road Bear" and "Bearstar" seemed pretty lame, am now thinking of "Starbass 84", a pun on Starbase as in Jean-Luc Picard … I don't know, any good ideas, anyone?
bass.jpeg
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
UrenragK
Reactions:

Looks cool! 👍🏻
Brendan
Reactions:

I saved the original chrome covers and wound a low output pair of replacements ( 6.8k). I'm trying A2 in the bridge and A3 in the neck. All new electronics. The fishing line trick has worked great in the past, but it was a real bitch on this one.
Brendan
Reactions:

$5 for a tap, drill bit and stainless set screws. Locking bridge for $20 total. Gotta get shorter set screws.
[img.][/img]
Pilipete_Townshend
Reactions:

Woops. didn't know you have this one running already. I made a dupli on the other threading. you guys may need to erase that. Happy bee.....!
mkgearhead
Reactions:

I gave this one a little attention over the weekend. I replaced the original 2 point trem with a Wilkinson. While I was at it, I put in a set of Duncan Designed pickups from a Squier Deluxe and a black pickguard.
c1.jpg
c3.jpg
c6.jpg
c7.jpg
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

t100d wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:54 am My nephew gave me the body and tuning hardware for a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II bass—I had helped him buy it 2 or 3 years ago, and then he broke the truss rod nut about a year ago. Since a replacement, if you could find one, was over $250 at the time, he gave up on it, having been told that replacement necks wouldn't fit …

My wife said I should get a neck for my upcoming birthday, and I really wanted a maple board with a skunk stripe. All the less expensive ones were either rosewood or maple sans stripe, but I finally lucked out and scored an Ursa 2 neck form Rondo. I had been wanting a Precision neck, but they weren't available in my budget, plus I wanted the extra fret as on a Jazz bass.
It fits like a glove, I had only to cut away a minuscule sliver from the pickguard where it overhung the mouth of the pocket on one side.
Sharp fret ends were easily and quickly disposed of with my FretGuru file (nice tool, worth the $$). The tuner holes were a lot bigger than the Ibanez, but a friend who builds his own fretted instruments suggested wrapping the outside of the bushings with the adhesive aluminum tape they use on ductwork. Well, it must have taken 8-10 feet of the stuff, but it works great, nice snug fit.

Today I picked up a 4-pack of small Husky trigger clamps for $10 from Home Despot, which will make drilling for neck screws a lot easier than great big C-clamps.
Have a set of DR "Pure Blues" 45-105's to go on it, then we'll see if I need to get a StewMac full pocket shim or not.
After throwing on a set of Straplocks (and hopefully selling the original arrowhead buttons), I'll be set to go, except for designing a decal for the head. Not sure what to call it, been toying with some combination or reference to Ursa and Roadstar. "Road Bear" and "Bearstar" seemed pretty lame, am now thinking of "Starbass 84", a pun on Starbase as in Jean-Luc Picard … I don't know, any good ideas, anyone?

bass.jpeg
That neck looks like it was meant to be there.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
mozz
Reactions:

Taking these inductors apart, (pain), wound enough turns to get to the magical 500mh. (wah build) 38awg. Only thing, tighter the 2 halves are to each other, the higher the inductance. Factory (1968) made them with a pin through the middle, and a push type of nut on top. So the tighter the nut the higher the value goes. I ordered some 2mm screws and nuts, so in theory i can slightly adjust the value by how tight it is. Too tight will crack the ferrite, which is a type of metal that basically shatters. I found some surplus ones and bought a few from some guy in Greece. Experimenti.
20200528_214139.jpg
20200528_215638.jpg
AGF refugee
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

Let's see, what's on my work bench?
Honestly... Still my explorer after all these years, plus the Jackson, and the 12 string. I'll update with pics later, but I guess if I were to make a list it would help lol.

Explorer
- Frets need leveled and polished
- Bridge ground needs to be moved back inside the body, I had to rig it up one day and haven't got around to fixing it.
- I'll definitely have to intonate it.

Jackson
- Needs a locking nut.
- Could probably use some new saddles.
- Needs an output jack.

Globe Dove 12
- Needs tuners that can support strings at tension.
- Needs a nut.
- Needs a set of the little string retention pins.
- Full setup.

Bonus
Samick strat needs a nut, but that's pretty much it, I wouldn't mind rewiring or upgrading the whole electronics section of it, but it's pretty solid as it is.

It's been a while since the last time I gave everything a good tune-up though so I guess I should get around to that sometime too. 😅
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
rrobbone
Reactions:

What's on my bench?

Wood, glue, fasteners, and MDF: The dreams stuff is made of.

Also about 12 guitar bodies of various shapes and sizes which are sitting there because I've lost all motivation to work on them. All they need is prep work for finishing and the paint/stain that follows... and it's set aside.

Sitting in the "currently being worked on" spot, I'm finally building myself an arcade games cabinet for my office. S'gonna be nice.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
RiverDog
Reactions:

On my dining room table, I mean workbench, is my recently purchased Gretsch G5222 Electromatic Double Jet. I bought some GuitarFetish GF'Trons and silver pickup rings. I wanted to buy a set of Gretsch HS Filter'Trons but I can't really spend that much right now so the GF pickups will have to do. I'm also removing the pickguard, too.

Here she is ready for surgery.
20200605_171938.jpg

Ahh, that looks better.
20200605_172303.jpg

So of course, for me, working on guitars often means running into problems. (Why can't it always go smoothly?!) Here's my first one: this guitar is chambered and I guess that means the factory putting a 1/2"+ deep channel under the pickups. I tried adding foam into the channel but the wood on the sides above the channel is still too low for the screws that came with the pickups, which are vintage-style and screw into the body, rather than hanging from the PU rings. Ugh...
20200605_185202.jpg
Screenshot_20200605-183551_Samsung Internet.jpg

I figure I'll have to go find some small, flat scraps of wood and glue them next to the channel. Anyone Have any other ideas?
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
RiverDog
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm
I figure I'll have to go find some small, flat scraps of wood and glue them next to the channel. Anyone Have any other ideas?
Anyone?
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Go (if allowed in your area) to a decent hardware/fastener store and get longer versions of the same screws? Less permanent than gluing in wood.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
RiverDog
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 am Go (if allowed in your area) to a decent hardware/fastener store and get longer versions of the same screws? Less permanent than gluing in wood.
Thanks for the reply. I thought about that. I haven't been successful when trying to find P-90 mounting screws, which I think are the same, in the past but I'll swing by Lowe's later today and take a look.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Lowes or a fastener place -- they will often have bins of exactly what you need for 15 cents per. Take the screw and measure it. From painful experience, I lnow this beats guesing..
- Ron Swanson
Partscaster
Reactions:

This is where my new Alder body is at. It gets an allparts 7.25" radius neck. It was still a slab 2 weeks ago.
It gets a 2-7/32 bridge and widest of the new allparts necks. It looks like it will be okay without string rolloff, but I dont know for sure yet.
Just got new nut. Still dont have jack plate.
Tiger PG with Klein Epic 1959 pickups go here. I love these pickups and am hoping the new body will be well with these pups.
DSCN2279.jpg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
rrobbone
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am
Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 am Go (if allowed in your area) to a decent hardware/fastener store and get longer versions of the same screws? Less permanent than gluing in wood.
Thanks for the reply. I thought about that. I haven't been successful when trying to find P-90 mounting screws, which I think are the same, in the past but I'll swing by Lowe's later today and take a look.
If your local bog box store has that kind of fastener selection, consider yourself lucky. I like to direct mount pickups (no, I don't know why), and finding wood screws that are thin enough, yet long enough is a pain. Your best bets are Amazon (for which you'll need the specs to find) and small town mom and pop Ace or True Value hardware store chains. There is also a hobby store called Hobby Town that sometimes carries them.

When I do find them, I buy 'em out.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
RiverDog
Reactions:

rrobbone wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:01 am
RiverDog wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am
If your local bog box store has that kind of fastener selection, consider yourself lucky. I like to direct mount pickups (no, I don't know why), and finding wood screws that are thin enough, yet long enough is a pain. Your best bets are Amazon (for which you'll need the specs to find) and small town mom and pop Ace or True Value hardware store chains. There is also a hobby store called Hobby Town that sometimes carries them.

When I do find them, I buy 'em out.
Thanks man. I did a brief look online but didn't find any. I ended up buying some wooden shims at Lowe's which I'm going to glue in today, which the existing screws will go into.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)

Actually, I need to revise my workbench with the more prominent projects of leveling and making a driveway at my property and leveling a build site lol.

...and then I need to make a work bench because as it stands I just put stuff wherever I can 😅
mkgearhead
Reactions:

I got this one up and running for a friend of my daughter. I flipped the nut and strung it up lefty, opened up the chiseled out humbucker route so the pickup isn’t wedged in there and fixed some dodgy wiring.
DFA93089-F1CE-4916-9A39-4207083854AC.jpeg
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)

Just got done gutting and cleaning my old PC and putting all of its innards into a new case, along with 16GB of some nice new RAM and a Corsair 240 liquid cooling AIO.
IMG_20200608_152003.jpg
IMG_20200608_182212.jpg
mozz
Reactions:

1/4" x 1/8" x 2 1/4"
20200612_130533.jpg
AGF refugee
toomanycats
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm 1/4" x 1/8" x 2 1/4"

20200612_130533.jpg
Hmmmm . . . let me take a wild guess: Maple spacers for vintage PAF type humbuckers. Am I close? :D
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mozz
Reactions:

Yes in fact they do keep the slugs pressed up against the magnet edge with the correct amount of pressure. No piece of plastic can do that.
AGF refugee