Wrap Around Bridge Help.

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
Lamf77
Reactions:

So I am debating taking on another project (to add to the already uncompleted list). I have a Epiphone SG, as well as some John Birch pickups. Tony Iommi removed the tailpiece and tuneomatic bridge, and put a wrap around bridge in the regular tuneomatic spot. Simple enough? Does anyone know what the black circle shims/washers are underneath? I assume they to raise the bridge a few mm. Possibly underneath the studs which go into the guitar? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome...thanks!
Attachments
753_iommi_monkeybridge (1).jpg
mickey
Reactions:

Ya got to do what ya got to do to get the string height where it needs to be. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Lamf77
Reactions:

mickey wrote:Ya got to do what ya got to do to get the string height where it needs to be. :D
True ....but what are the black washers exactly? Need to know what to order?
After reevaluating. HOles for bridge are wider. So most likely drilled new holes and used plastic to cover?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

So I am guessing that you have Tony's guitar pictured?

I am going to guess those black washers are for cosmetics (sitting around the stud and under the wrap bridge) and are covering the woodwork which was necessary to install this. The original 1965 SG Specials had a wrap-bar which looked like this:
image.png
image.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Since they were roughly intonated for 11's with a wound 'G', the owner wanted an adjustable intonation bridge. I'll go out on a limb that (like many here experienced) the stud spacing or stud size was not the same, so the installer glued a wood plug into the original holes. He then drilled the new holes and did not want to refinish the guitar, so just covered them up.

I've seen a few guitars with strange cover-ups and I don't believe the black washers are mechanically functional.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:08 pm So I am guessing that you have Tony's guitar pictured?

I am going to guess those black washers are for cosmetics (sitting around the stud and under the wrap bridge) and are covering the woodwork which was necessary to install this. The original 1965 SG Specials had a wrap-bar which looked like this:
image.png

Since they were roughly intonated for 11's with a wound 'G', the owner wanted an adjustable intonation bridge. I'll go out on a limb that (like many here experienced) the stud spacing or stud size was not the same, so the installer glued a wood plug into the original holes. He then drilled the new holes and did not want to refinish the guitar, so just covered them up.

I've seen a few guitars with strange cover-ups and I don't believe the black washers are mechanically functional.
Thanks Rob for what may be the definitive answer. Initially I did not anticipate permanent changes to the guitar such as new drill holes. I may just install the John Birch pickups, buy a monkey sticker and call it a day! Thanks!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Did you ever finish the Ace Les Paul?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I am not a big fan of wrap around bridges because of the intonation problems you can encounter. I have a PRS SE Zach Myers that has the factory wrap around bridge, and IMO they are a fantastic bridge, but they have adjustable saddles. I really like that PRS Wrap Around I think every guitar should have adjustable saddles.

THIS IS THE PRS WRAP-AROUND
JTpI8LV[1].jpg
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:39 pm Did you ever finish the Ace Les Paul?
Unfortunately, no. It's near the top of my list though...just need to keep the wife and kids off my back...lol.