Dirty Harry - Complete

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

The AMI Dirty Harry. This is a modified Dirty Shirley I built for our own Jim Schaffner, who hasn't been online in a bit. Overall - authentic modified Marshall sound.

Differences from the original: 1.) Internal trimpot for Gain#2 is no a top-side control, 'Tight' variable control instead of a fixed value, a few EQ & gain changes and different choice of gain #2 LEDs for slightly asymmetrical clipping (like a Marshall tube amp output stage really does).

I a so happy with this, I am selling my Friedman DS and making one of these Dirty Harry's for me!
AMI Dirty Harry 1.jpg
AMI Dirty Harry 2.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Very cool Andrew!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

ronnx wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 pmVery cool Andrew!
Thanks!
Spike
Reactions:

Looks great. Would love to hear a sample.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Spike wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:32 pm Looks great. Would love to hear a sample.
I think I do need to get a sample of this one going.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

You have mad skillz. 'Lost me at "trimpot."
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Bullcat
Reactions:

Oh là là C'est Magnifique!
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
andrewsrea
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm You have mad skillz. 'Lost me at "trimpot."
Lol, Tommy - thanks!

'trimpots' are these 1/8" control potentiometers that pedal builders put inside the pedal, for additional tweaking. Many people find that cumbersome and annoying.

My design puts all controls where the user can tweak or not.

The original design of this had what is labeled on mine as 'Gain 2' inside. What you will probably relate to is what the two gains do. The first gain mixes a bit of grind and fizz with a cleanish signal (like a Tube Screamer with out all the midrange) and does not compress much. The second gain, which logically follows the first) is more 'tube amp-in-a-box' like. Used alone, it distorts the whole signal leaving none of the original.

I find it very useful to dial in bits of both. Gain 2 make is sing and Gain 1 makes it cut through a mix.

This pedal is an emulation of a modified 50w Marshall with American 6L6 power tubes (deeper bottom) and it nails it. It can do 70's classic rock, 80's hair metal & grunge very easily.
golem
Reactions:

@andrewsrea if you're already making another one and ordering parts, would you be willing to accept an order for another one on top of that?
andrewsrea
Reactions:

golem wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:15 am @andrewsrea if you're already making another one and ordering parts, would you be willing to accept an order for another one on top of that?
Yes - no problem! Glad I saw this, as I bought extra boxes and am going to drill tomorrow.