DLX800 restoration

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
Blackened
Reactions:

Hey guys, a little over a year ago I started looking at my old Agile DLX800 and thought it would be fun to bring it back to life. The truss rod in it is stripped, but it has magically held it's straightness. Point being I don't want to sink a lot of money into it since there is no telling what might happen with the neck over the next few years. I was going to hot rod it out, but it seems silly to spend a lot of money on it. I'm going to get everything back in and play it as it is. Anyway, life threw me a curve ball and I had to put it back in its case until now. So I'm back at it trying to figure a thing or two out...

I found wiring diagrams... either Should work:
https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-conten ... Wiring.pdf
https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-conten ... Wiring.pdf

I feel like I should go modern instead of 50's style, but as far as I know I've never had the 50's wiring in any of my guitars. Any advice an what is "Better"?

Next... the pickups. The parts for this guitar have been stored in a bag for something like... 8 years. I have no idea which is the bridge and which is the neck pickup. They are the original Agile pickups - one has a black wire, the other has a grey wire but there is nothing else there I can identify it from. Any thoughts on how to figure it out? Maybe some multimeter magic I can apply?

Thanks guys!
fullonshred
Reactions:

Good luck with the Resto. I have zero advice to offer beyond Have Fun!
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

Pics along the way?
Blackened
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 pm Good luck with the Resto. I have zero advice to offer beyond Have Fun!
Wouldn't have it any other way.
AnotherJim wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:12 pm Pics along the way?
Sure. Not much to see right now. It's the body and it is strung up to make sure the neck would hold. I stripped the truss rod back in like 2006. Shockingly the neck hasn't budged a bit.

Oh and for clarification, it is a DLX2800. My bad! :lol: best $309 I spent back in 2002.
Blackened
Reactions:

Ah one other thing... I need new knobs. What size do I need though? If my fuzzy memory serves me the Les Paul knobs don't fit.