Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Put the Guitar Madness P94's in my PS900 and man I like it. Kudos to Guitar Madness those Pups sound great and don't look bad either. I bought the Alnico 5 ones they also have some with ceramic magnets. You can tell I'm an man of high end instruments only from this picture Agile PS900 15 watt Stage Right Monoprice amp Squire P bass yep only top of the line for me. 8-) :D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275490952705?h ... R6iZp8G5YQ
YxULVSg[1].jpg
artandsoul
Reactions:

redman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 pm Put the Guitar Madness P94's in my PS900 and man I like it. Kudos to Guitar Madness those Pups sound great and don't look bad either. I bought the Alnico 5 ones they also have some with ceramic magnets. You can tell I'm an man of high end instruments only from this picture Agile PS900 15 watt Stage Right Monoprice amp Squire P bass yep only top of the line for me. 8-) :D
Yeah im always happy with those cheapo p94's sound exactly like duncan fat cats for 1/5 the price! and always hear great reviews on that amp often!
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:56 pm Uh....everything?

20230119_135524.jpg

Maybe it's time to clean up.
It's not perfect, but it is better.
20230121_134232.jpg
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

mozz wrote:Teflon should not burn or melt when touched with your soldering iron.
I’ll have to test it at some point. I can’t really find any burn marks anywhere despite the terrible solder work. I am leaning towards decommissioning this amp from gigs and rehearsal asap. I intentionally overlooked its appearance because it sounded so good but I see a strong potential for failure at anytime now. Rather than fix the issues ( or rather gut it and start over), I think I will document it and share the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Decided to do the nut on my JS22-7.
20230123_142902.jpg
Here's the item in question, which is supposedly a drop-in piece.
20230123_142922.jpg
Nut came out easily.
20230123_143044.jpg
Little bit of sanding, and a couple of minutes....
20230123_144038.jpg
It is a drop-in fit once you get the original nut's glue out of the way. The only issue seems to be the high B is buzzing a bit, though it is doing so a bit further up the neck too. We'll see what happens when new strings, tuners and saddles get installed.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Another one from the weekend. I have been waffling about selling my Ibanez RG350MZ. I have never liked the bridge on it, and changing pickups et al seems worthless if I don't like the bridge.

One thing that I never did was pull the Zero Position System. So, what the heck - takes 2 minutes.

That threw the tuning all out of whack. So I reset and readjusted everything, and got it tuned.

Pulling the ZPS makes the bridge way, way better. It is now a different and far more enjoyable guitar. I am seriously considering buying real pickups for it. It's a huge difference.
- Ron Swanson
artandsoul
Reactions:

New cheap wiring and el cheapo knobs in the sx callisto, stock worked fine but figure i have a few of the epi lp prewired harness ill use one of them and cheap out as usual. I decided to try 50s wiring never have before with some orange drop .022 caps and after installing it bridge sounds kinda like a tele lol.
It has probucker alnico 2 and 3 in it. the neck sounds much better but way to bright in bridge for me with dirt pedals. So i left the neck alone in 50s wiring and did modern wiring on the bridge with a .033 oip cap its a bit better than the 50s but still way brighter than the stock crap was. ive used cts pots and bourns and didnt get this jump in brightness. oh well, didnt think new cheapo pots would make it sound brighter but at least its still pretty lol
20230125_182201.jpg
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

artandsoul wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:12 pm New cheap wiring and el cheapo knobs in the sx callisto, stock worked fine but figure i have a few of the epi lp prewired harness ill use one of them and cheap out as usual. I decided to try 50s wiring never have before with some orange drop .022 caps and after installing it bridge sounds kinda like a tele lol.
It has probucker alnico 2 and 3 in it. the neck sounds much better but way to bright in bridge for me with dirt pedals. So i left the neck alone in 50s wiring and did modern wiring on the bridge with a .033 oip cap its a bit better than the 50s but still way brighter than the stock crap was. ive used cts pots and bourns and didnt get this jump in brightness. oh well, didnt think new cheapo pots would make it sound brighter but at least its still pretty lol

20230125_182201.jpg
A fine looking axe!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I've had so much on the bench lately, i could not post most of it. Been working on music stuff 6 hours per day trying to catch up. Here is an interesting example:

Here is a beauty from Chad from Illinois (been awhile since he has posted here). He buys and sells frequently and brings me his science projects. Here we have a 1964 Fender Bandmaster 'NG #13' (July 1964, the 13th made in that month). Chad also has the original 4 ohm 2x12 cab. Interestingly, the chassis is also stamped with a factory repair in 1966, which appears to have been the output transformer (the only transformer that had a 1966 code, as the others were stamped 1964).

It was only putting out an anemic4 watts. Upon consulting with our own @mozz (many thanks, brother!) it needed another output transformer, to which I installed a very nice Hammond. It also needed another tube to match better, plus a bias at 67% and it was off to the races!

One of the best Fender Blackface amps I have ever heard and I have heard hundreds. Expected Fender cleans at low volume and it got a perfect mix of 40% of a 1969 50w plexi tone, comnbined with 60% of a Blackface tone. Think AC-DC's intro to 'It's a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll)'.

Oh, and it weighs less than 15 pounds!
Chad 1964 Bandmaster.jpg
artandsoul
Reactions:

changed white pearl pickguard on the hadean nat tele looks so much better brown or red whatever color sellers call it now lol. and wow the guitar looks so different with diff lighting went from dark to light
20230106_160538_HDR.jpg
20230204_115240_HDR.jpg
SamIV
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:35 pm I've had so much on the bench lately, i could not post most of it. Been working on music stuff 6 hours per day trying to catch up. Here is an interesting example:

Here is a beauty from Chad from Illinois (been awhile since he has posted here). He buys and sells frequently and brings me his science projects. Here we have a 1964 Fender Bandmaster 'NG #13' (July 1964, the 13th made in that month). Chad also has the original 4 ohm 2x12 cab. Interestingly, the chassis is also stamped with a factory repair in 1966, which appears to have been the output transformer (the only transformer that had a 1966 code, as the others were stamped 1964).

It was only putting out an anemic4 watts. Upon consulting with our own @mozz (many thanks, brother!) it needed another output transformer, to which I installed a very nice Hammond. It also needed another tube to match better, plus a bias at 67% and it was off to the races!

One of the best Fender Blackface amps I have ever heard and I have heard hundreds. Expected Fender cleans at low volume and it got a perfect mix of 40% of a 1969 50w plexi tone, comnbined with 60% of a Blackface tone. Think AC-DC's intro to 'It's a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll)'.

Oh, and it weighs less than 15 pounds!

Chad 1964 Bandmaster.jpg
I would love to hear that. No one was home yesterday afternoon and I was able to crank my new to me deluxe reverb. It sounded so good. Would love to hear this cranked.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

SamIV wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 pm
I would love to hear that. No one was home yesterday afternoon and I was able to crank my new to me deluxe reverb. It sounded so good. Would love to hear this cranked.
It is great to crank up a BF Fender to about 7 or 8. THe DRRI will sound even better with some speaker break-in.

You have a good suggestion and I may get around to recording the Bandmaster for posterity. I'll share if i do!
Partscaster
Reactions:

took a chisel to fit p90's into a HH Callisto. Its a crude job, but I have 3 of these DS Callistos.. and more of other finishes, and eventually I'll get some p90 rings to dress up the messy parts. And it doesnt look too bad from a distance, as is. It's a set of SD antiquities that came on another guitar I bought years ago. By tomorrow I'll have it in playable shape.

IMG_0551.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

latest stage of Callisto DS p90 mod. I had a wooden set of p90 rings, one snapped when I tried to get it to match the archtop. I also had a brown sharpie that helped darken the edges of the cavity where wood was removed. I may get a black set of plastic rings, but i am leaning towards letting it look dark, ringless, and rough.

IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg
I'll do set up and play it soon.
-----------------------------
edit: early afternoon;
well, neck pup sounds great. Bitey and growly at med-low 15w amp volume. I have it as close to strings as possible without wolftones or buzz....unless I go up above 19t fret. Everything is too stubby up there for me anyhow. Id need a map and magnifying glass.

I'm gonna need to add more wood into floor of bridge pup cavity as its height maxes out still too low. But this p90/Callisto DS+ mod is awesome. I could just use the neck and be done. But I have a feeling this bridge wont be too trebly and hopefully gets to be rude as it reads a bit hotter. The two, 7.8 and 8.2 at 63 degrees. Gonna sound even better next summer.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

So, the other side of this p90 mod is the other p90 guitar I am taking the SD Antiquity p90s out of.
Its a 2011 Gibson LP Junior Special ( yup, both in one).
I bought it maybe 6 years ago on reverb for 625$. It had a f-d weird bridge put onto it. Its back to TOM now. The paint job seemed poor and especially the entire lenghts of the neck FB edges were poly'd and that was all rough and bubbly. Previous owner reduced controls to one tone and a kill switch.
Its ebony fb, mahogany body and neck. Anyhow, its another guitar I will be glad to get rid of. So I just took the SD Antiquity p90's from it. I'm happy to say that in the Callisto SD+, the SD Ants are really nice with spit and growl but retaining a sweetness. At least the neck. I still need to raise the bridge pup with more wood in cavity.

The Gibson Junior Special just got a set of A2 p90s from one of the more affordable on-line pickup sites. I cant remember which one. They are 8.2 and 9.3 at 60 degrees. They have some spit and growl but they are bright instead of rich. I can turn the tone down, but they dont have a sweetness. And full chords start to loose string separation. The SD Ant's cost 280$. So I feel good about keeping them, and getting rid of the Gibson for maybe 399$...at my local consignment shop. The Callisto's new neck pickup is so much nicer sounding. Soon the bridge will be raised. The Callisto rules with neck tone. I think Gibson P90's and Tyson Tone Lab p90's would sound on par with the SD Ants, as I have them in some SX p90 Hawks, and they are rich sounding, along with the rude spit and growl. I also have a set of Lollar +5%bridge p90's, and they dont have the growl as the SD Ant, GibsonP90, or the Tyson Tone Lab sets have.

here's some pix of Gibson 2011 JR Special
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

Finished set up. It plays great. It sounds killer. Bridge is very good..for a bridge position. I got it balanced volume and pretty much growl wise too.
Bridge has a good tone, but the neck is my favorite. Bridge is not ice picky, tones down fine. Middle position has nice mixes. Neck is really the prize. Single coil powerful warm breakup.
I've got 500k pots in now. I may swap bridge volume to a 300k see how I like that.. I have one hanging around.

What was another idea of someone else's here at AGF, got me considering something for myself. My LP P90 guitar is way beyond what I hoped for. I thought I'd check off a box with an extra body and parts. This guitar's neck tone rivals every other guitar I have for edgy blues tone.

IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
----------------------------------

next day edit: Ive been playing on this thing for a couple hours thru a few amps, Gibson Falcon, and the 5wBugera/weber-o early breakup speaker set up. I dialed in pickup heights more precisely. It sounds killer to me. Aggressive, warm, mids and highs and lows. I had to clamp down a little bass boominess. Elevate a few pole pieces ever so little. Notes are even across strings, clear, but growl is right there with attack. Bridge gets tone knob tuned down to 7-8 and its right there complimenting the neck wide open. No shrills. Its not too much for the "O" type speaker cone. Does not make it flub...but I havent tried max amp volumes yet. I also have a bigger head to try it thru. All signs point to excellent p90 blues guitar for my tastes.
artandsoul
Reactions:

received this unloaded squier classic vibe 60s candy apple red from reverb today for 125 shipped, looks near new no dents dings etc just missing pickups.
its also odd and funny i just bought a new removed set of the 60s classic vibe pickups and the correct tuners for 35 bux shipped last week on reverb thought it was pretty cheap and ill use it eventually. then bam find the guitar . looks like this was ment to be lol 160 all in for a like new squier 60's cv seems like the deal of the day now just gotta slap it together and see how it sounds
20230210_143720.jpg
20230210_143728.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

artandsoul wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:30 pm received this unloaded squier classic vibe 60s candy apple red from reverb today for 125 shipped, looks near new no dents dings etc just missing pickups.
its also odd and funny i just bought a new removed set of the 60s classic vibe pickups and the correct tuners for 35 bux shipped last week on reverb thought it was pretty cheap and ill use it eventually. then bam find the guitar . looks like this was ment to be lol 160 all in for a like new squier 60's cv seems like the deal of the day now just gotta slap it together and see how it sounds

20230210_143720.jpg

20230210_143728.jpg
In the future, older CV's will be praised, IMO, for years made with great bodies and necks, and very good pickups. Now they aren't even alder bodied.
Good deal.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Had a little wall flower/ shoe gazer party with my single coil strats today.
Played them all , took notes about current state, and what needs what adjustments, etc. Swapped a few necks around trying to darken one in particular. Turns out it's non-fender saddles were made from a thinner gauge steel and produced a higher ringing pitch. Fixed now. Plus another may get a pot metal block in place of it's steel one to mellow it's zing down a bit.

Most loosely represent different years with pickups and neck types, i.e, maple FB mid 50's, rosewood slab into early 60's, vs rosewood veneer for later 60's, vs maple capped option for latter 60's. All Alder bodies, might still make one for 54' ash era. One has modern stacked pups, some are hot vintage and whatever neck works well, etc. Its like a doll collection swapping clothes around, only they're really good strats.

IMG_0566.jpeg
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:13 pm
In the future, older CV's will be praised, IMO, for years made with great bodies and necks, and very good pickups. Now they aren't even alder bodied.
Good deal.
I have a 2010 Squier Jazz Bass thatI refinished in Nirto Fiesta Red and a 2016 Squier Affinity Strat. Both have alder bodies. I assume the Affinity was like the Jazz Bass, in that it was multiple pieces of alder, but both guitars are acoustically resonant and have really nice necks.

I like my Affinity Strat and play it more than my 1996 Fender American Standard Stratocaster.
artandsoul
Reactions:

modded this new squier bullet strat today with p90s sounds great, did upgade the crap box 3 way with a real fender 3 way used stock pots but its still quiet and no hum or noise

20230212_121124.jpg
20230212_121133.jpg

20230211_151752.jpg
jtcnj
Reactions:

Got the used /new to me SG Tribute sorted.
Nut work, shielding, foam block to align the bridge pickup to the strings better, new set 10-46, set up dialed in.
Really digging this.
I'm waiting one on final piece to the puzzle.

The EPI will get sold.
20230211_085418-2.jpg
20230211_151909-2.jpg
20230212_143347-2.jpg
20230212_170539-2.jpg
20230212_171128-2.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
mozz
Reactions:

Poor EPI gets kicked out of house and home. I have to ask why shielding the humbucker guitar? Was there a problem or just standard operating procedure?
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Did a little more with the JS22-7 while I was off sick today. New tuners and saddles!
20230213_131556.jpg
20230213_132515.jpg
The tuners are Guyker Pros off AliExpress. Straight drop in, which helps.

Then to the saddles. These are stainless aaddles in place of the original zinc.
20230213_132855.jpg
20230213_133253.jpg
20230213_134715.jpg
The result? MUCH improved tuning stability in that is now has some. But, the stainless saddles are REALLY bright. Combined with the fairly harsh ceramics, the tone knob is needed to make things tolerable.

The other issue is that, while the action is beautifully low, the nut and other work has exposed a couple of high frets. The open high B clanks, as do a couple of other notes. Oh well, in for a penny....
- Ron Swanson
jtcnj
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:45 pm Poor EPI gets kicked out of house and home. I have to ask why shielding the humbucker guitar? Was there a problem or just standard operating procedure?
They sound about the same - the EPI has the same Gibson 490R/T set but covered.
Just never got really comfortable with the EPI: it hangs different on my body, has bad neck dive (solved with the right Well-Hung strap). That and the slim taper D neck just seem to be fighting against me.
I like the round more medium C neck, and a bonus: the body bevels better on the Gibson; I noticed right away how my picking hand just snuggles in.

The EPI is 8.5lbs, a bit on the heavy side for my aging back (and I mainly play standing).
The Gibson is 6.75lbs (only 20% better, not quite 40% lol)

If the EPI ticked all the boxes, I would not have spent on the Gibson.

The shielding quiets the buzz/hum when not touching the strings, common on all the other HB guitars I have ever played, including the 2007 Gibson LP studio I got 2 years ago.
Still need to shield that one.
The SG is DEAD QUIET now.

It is different from single coil 60hz hum.
It is not so noticeable at lower volumes, but cranked it is, especially on top of resistor hiss and a little heater hum.
I suppose using the cheapy noise gate on my board would suffice, but I had the time, the opportunity, the copper tape, and the motive to make my guitars as good as I can get them.

On the other hand, letting go of the strings brings on some wicked feedback at those volumes, so I guess I'm just a guitar nerd.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.