Whats on your work bench?

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
mozz
Reactions:

Disassemble it and put some thick grease on the shaft. That usually not being possible, how about a felt washer ( or two) under the knob and the knob pressed low as it will go. I have seen pots get sprayed with cleaner, then were spinning too easy.
AGF refugee
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 pm quick question: has anybody ever had a knob that moved too freely causing a problem? on my hss strat the volume knob moves very easily.. and it's an american elite so it has the rubber ring around it so it's extra grippy... and i find that when im playing i must like lightly tap it, becuase i neve rhave this problem with nay other strat but on that one when i'm playing sometimes, oops, my volume drops to nothing and when i check the knob's been adjusted to 0. i can try to avoid it by modifying my playing but it's distracting. if it was just slightly more stiff i don't think it would be a problem, iike i said never had this happen on my other strats where that knob is in the same spot. how can i make it a little stiffer, do i have to replace the pot?
I had this problem with my #1 Strat. I cut a piece of 1/4" foam a bit smaller than the knob and then popped a hole in the center. Remove the knob, put the foam on the pot shaft, and then press the knob back down. It puts a little pressure on the knob and pickguard to help keep the knob from spinning as easily.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I finished my black strat this morning I really wish I took before pictures because this one was a bit of pain in the a$$. I wanted one with the old headstock and I found this one cheap but it must have belonged to a kid because it had been autographed on the front with one of those glittery paint pens by 4 people. I grabbed my StewMac scratch remover and it came right off.I stripped it and started the build that was CTS pots, Sprague orange drop caps, new wire, CLR switch, Fender Tex-Mex neck and middle pups with a SD SH-4 JB in the bridge GF tremolo with big brass block, AllParts locking tuners, TUSQ XL nut. The problem was that the tremolo cavitry was not right so I ended up with Dremmel and file in hand correcting the cavity and got it going so here's the pictures I did take. Oh yeah I started this on my couch while watching a movie so yes this is my couch in the pictures. :D
WOuNZ2x[1].jpg
pEM7Vq4[1].jpg
nulQbcY[1].jpg
vcVuF36[1].jpg
vDQSv0f[1].jpg
nTWxCbt[1].jpg
KxYecID[1].jpg
izj3oz7[1].jpg
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I'm running out of projects after my P90's for my Agile come and I put them in my Agile I think I would like to build something with 1 pickup and a volume control like a LP Jr without a tone control.
artandsoul
Reactions:

redman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:16 pm I'm running out of projects after my P90's for my Agile come and I put them in my Agile I think I would like to build something with 1 pickup and a volume control like a LP Jr without a tone control.
I dont know what u thinking about but i know firefly. guitars garden website has a single humbucker gold top lp for sale for 210 shipped it will be a project. it has a tone control but could make it a kill switch button in the end. hard to find a 1 volume guitar lp unless its a kit which probably cost as much as the built firefly
fireflyyyyyy.jpg
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Partscaster
Reactions:

Nice black strat !

I wonder how a neck-only humbucker guitar might be with no load volume and tone pots.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

1992 PRS CE24 (pre-factory) trem has been decked since I bought it. Decided to float the bridge, spritz the electronics and change the 6-year-old strings. I must say, IMHO PRS makes the best tremolo bridge bar none. Had some fun playing her, as she was my #1 from 1992 to 2003 (the birth of my AMI LP, which is still my #1).
PRS 1992 CE24 Face.jpg
Then on to fixing a solder joint which broke loose and also spritzing the electronics, on my 2009 Epiphone Custom Classic LP (pictured below, right). Also a joy to play with some distortion though a 100w amp!
Playpen 3-5 LSL.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I still wasn't happy with the spund out of the actives on my Spad. Then I heard something that sounded like a bad ground when the gate on my 11Rack let it by. I thought actives didn't need a ground wire to the bridge. Hmm....

Then I thought of a video I saw where Harley Benton actives were noisy as a dryer full of ball bearings because of a bad bridge ground. Hmmm....

So, I pulled the bridge and ran a ground wire. Success! Apparently these cheapo actives need a string/bridge ground. Now I just need to fix the pots. As suggested here, I tried a different cap -- no difference. That means bad soldering + cheap pots = bad pots. This time I will do them correctly.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:53 am 1992 PRS CE24 (pre-factory) trem has been decked since I bought it. Decided to float the bridge, spritz the electronics and change the 6-year-old strings. I must say, IMHO PRS makes the best tremolo bridge bar none. Had some fun playing her, as she was my #1 from 1992 to 2003 (the birth of my AMI LP, which is still my #1).
PRS 1992 CE24 Face.jpg

Then on to fixing a solder joint which broke loose and also spritzing the electronics, on my 2009 Epiphone Custom Classic LP (pictured below, right). Also a joy to play with some distortion though a 100w amp!

Playpen 3-5 LSL.jpg

really nice looking epi custom.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Partscaster wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:38 pm really nice looking epi custom.
Thank you!

She plays and sounds better than I remembered. This one is also light I am going to guess around 8lbs.
redman
Reactions:

Rob what is that showing up on your SG?
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

redman wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:04 pm Rob what is that showing up on your SG?
Looks like a "Hot Babe". :)
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
andrewsrea
Reactions:

redman wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:04 pm Rob what is that showing up on your SG?
@LightWingStudios got it - a hot babe. It is one of few Vargas in the public domain. It has been a long time since that decal was on the SG, which is now a 3 pup:
Davidson 2008 SG Face.jpg
My AMI 'Bare Essentials' pedals now don the Vargas:

AMI Essentials 2022.jpg
redman
Reactions:

I thought it was a hot babe but wasn't sure. :lol:
voodoorat
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:17 pm
voodoorat wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 pm quick question: has anybody ever had a knob that moved too freely causing a problem? on my hss strat the volume knob moves very easily.. and it's an american elite so it has the rubber ring around it so it's extra grippy... and i find that when im playing i must like lightly tap it, becuase i neve rhave this problem with nay other strat but on that one when i'm playing sometimes, oops, my volume drops to nothing and when i check the knob's been adjusted to 0. i can try to avoid it by modifying my playing but it's distracting. if it was just slightly more stiff i don't think it would be a problem, iike i said never had this happen on my other strats where that knob is in the same spot. how can i make it a little stiffer, do i have to replace the pot?
I had this problem with my #1 Strat. I cut a piece of 1/4" foam a bit smaller than the knob and then popped a hole in the center. Remove the knob, put the foam on the pot shaft, and then press the knob back down. It puts a little pressure on the knob and pickguard to help keep the knob from spinning as easily.
muchas gracias, i did similar and it's definitely a little tighter now, i think that will do the trick. wasn't sure how the push-push knob/pot worked so i was a little nervous about pulling it off but now i know.
SamIV
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:53 am 1992 PRS CE24 (pre-factory) trem has been decked since I bought it. Decided to float the bridge, spritz the electronics and change the 6-year-old strings. I must say, IMHO PRS makes the best tremolo bridge bar none. Had some fun playing her, as she was my #1 from 1992 to 2003 (the birth of my AMI LP, which is still my #1).
PRS 1992 CE24 Face.jpg

Playpen 3-5 LSL.jpg

Those CE 24’s are such nice guitars. I had a that and a CE22. The neck was so nice on the 24, but I could not get used to 24 frets. And the 22 had a different neck carve that I just could not get comfortable with either. The older ones such as yours were such well built guitars.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

SamIV wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:57 am
PRS 1992 CE24 Face.jpg

Playpen 3-5 LSL.jpg

Those CE 24’s are such nice guitars. I had a that and a CE22. The neck was so nice on the 24, but I could not get used to 24 frets. And the 22 had a different neck carve that I just could not get comfortable with either. The older ones such as yours were such well built guitars.
Thanks, Sam!

Your experience is pretty much mine as well, since about 2003. In the early 90's it was all about how thin the neck could get (mine has a wide-thin). Between the lack of girth and the smaller fret intervals to fit 24 frets, this guitar doesn't get the play it deserves. Additionally, The HFS bridge pickup is super loud and bright and is tough to get an amp set up where it sounds balanced with the much darker Vintage Bass neck pickup.

I think I am going to experiment with placing an additional resistor + capacitor to bleed off excess treble when in the bridge selection.
JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

So despite the lack of a workbench, I felt I had to say something here about an amp I bought from UBuyGuitars.com. Remember those guys?!

I picked up among others, an “unknown” speakerless 2x10 cabinet with a chassis but no details for $30 (plus shipping) and when it arrived, I found what appeared to be a fully functional 5e3 (with mods) tweed deluxe chassis. I wasn’t able to fully determine its origins until last night.

I was trying to diagnose what sounds like ground loop noise. I’ve dealt with it for years but decided it’s time to fix it. The on Robrobinettes site I see the VHT standard 12 schematic and all the weird mods to a 5e3 that my amp has are there, point for point and values included. By far the weirdest most unique change I’ve seen is the 2.7meg local negative feedback resistor on channel 2. It also has a few differences that are odd but it’s mostly the same in all other ways.

So now I’m wondering, what do you call an amp that’s a prototype to a prototype. An experiment? :lol: The other giveaway is the terrible soldering and wire layout. VHT really didn’t excel at quality craftsmanship.

AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
mozz
Reactions:

Oww, hope that isn't solid wire as it looks like telephone wire or Cat5 wire. Only made to handle 30volts. If you plan on never moving the power transformer, i would cut all those wires a lot shorter.
AGF refugee
JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

mozz wrote:Oww, hope that isn't solid wire as it looks like telephone wire or Cat5 wire. Only made to handle 30volts. If you plan on never moving the power transformer, i would cut all those wires a lot shorter.
I remember when I first shared photos of this some years ago, there was a comment about the wire being tephlon? I forget but it was a positive attribute. Anyways I’ve played this amp cranked so many times for the past many years, if it wasn’t up to the task, I suppose it would have caught fire by now Image. Still what ever grace the wire type could afford, this thing is not well built. The more I look at it, the more I realize it needs to be near fully gutted and rebuilt correctly. It’s kind of a miracle that it sounds as good as it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
mozz
Reactions:

Teflon should not burn or melt when touched with your soldering iron.
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Uh....everything?
20230119_135524.jpg
Maybe it's time to clean up.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
artandsoul
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:56 pm Uh....everything?

20230119_135524.jpg

Once u clean it up youll never find it again! :lol:
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
artandsoul
Reactions:

Put some p90s in the 100 buck benton I picked up other day. I was expecting to have to route it out but to my surprise it was almost a full swimming pool route and only had to sand a small edge piece with the dremel. And as with every pickguard ive ever installed on any import had to dremel the pickguard at neck.
Normal 250k pot strat wiring and replaced with 5 way with a 3 way so 1 vol and 2 tones like I never see. Still waiting on blk knobs but for a cheapo 40.00 all in upgrade it looks nice and its quiet.
20230108_122703.jpg
20230119_115613_HDR.jpg
20230119_151726_HDR.jpg
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

artandsoul wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:29 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:56 pm Uh....everything?

20230119_135524.jpg

Once u clean it up youll never find it again! :lol:
I try -- operative word TRY -- to organize things as I go. I don't always succeed.
- Ron Swanson