Experimental single coil voiced humbucker (cross posting from TDPRI)

Show members what you're up to! Get tips, tricks and advice.
golem
Reactions:

I don't want to copy the whole thread but I kind of like how they're prototyping this:

For more see:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/experimen ... r.1042211/

I'm guessing [mention]andrewsrea[/mention] would enjoy the thread there. It's still a work in progress though.
mozz
Reactions:

Looks like a p bass pickup. Inside anyway.
AGF refugee
golem
Reactions:

I have some of these:

that may be similar that I'd like to try out.

But I agree that it looks like a p-bass design
mozz
Reactions:

Whats this picture on the bottom of the page of the twang buckers?
Humbucker-covers_horizontal-NEW.png
AGF refugee
golem
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm Whats this picture on the bottom of the page of the twang buckers?
Humbucker-covers_horizontal-NEW.png
Well, they're definitely not pictures of those particular pickups, but they do have different cover options. Off the top of my head I think it's a PAF Astound pickup:

The Kinman website bugs me to no ends. Every page takes several seconds to load. You have to login to ask questions. Trying to order them is a bit challenging.
mozz
Reactions:

Yeah that website is slow and kind of odd. All reviews of the twang-bucker say they love it. I'm just wondering how he gets enough wire on those. Maybe he is using 43awg.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I agree with [mention]mozz[/mention] . Someone is trying the P-bass design for guitar. It would work and you would still have hum on the bridge and middle selection.

I wonder how it would sound on a guitar neck position? I always found P-bass pickups to be mid-rangey (lower mids) and not really single coil sounding (like a J-bass or the early 50's Precisions).
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
golem
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am I agree with @mozz . Someone is trying the P-bass design for guitar. It would work and you would still have hum on the bridge and middle selection.

I wonder how it would sound on a guitar neck position? I always found P-bass pickups to be mid-rangey (lower mids) and not really single coil sounding (like a J-bass or the early 50's Precisions).
Fender (the man himself not the company) made Z coils with a design a bit similar to this for the Commanche. They don't have hum in any position. How did he get around that?
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

golem wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm
andrewsrea wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am I agree with @mozz . Someone is trying the P-bass design for guitar. It would work and you would still have hum on the bridge and middle selection.

Fender (the man himself not the company) made Z coils with a design a bit similar to this for the Commanche. They don't have hum in any position. How did he get around that?
Right - same concept.

Here is how it works. Around the world, alternating current electricity is most commonly provided at 50 to 60 cycles in a sine wave. It would take 19 to 22 feet to achieve a full wave-length of the fundamental. Each order of harmonics (multiples of 60 Hz, for example) would be approximately half the length per harmonic and the power of that harmonic will degrade with each order of harmonic. Electro-magnetic Interference (EMI) is primarily what gets picked up by pickups as 'noise,' which typically resonates in some order of the main power cycle. For the USA, the fundamental up to 5th order harmonics wavelength is from about19 feet to 3 inches.

A humbucker is basically two single coils wound in the same direction, but switching the magnetic polarity and the direction (one coil's start becomes finish, etc.) 180 degrees. As long as the two coils are less than 3 inches apart from each other, they are close enough to mathematically appear to be the same location in proximity to the hum sine wave. So when the two coils are added together the hum from a source greater than the distance of the pickup to the string, are pretty much cancelled out (-1dB =1dB = 0dB). Since the pickup is say 0.16" from the string, it is picking up the fundamentals of the string, often at fractions of a full wavelength and those are not mathematically opposing and do not get cancelled.

Lots of science to say, the coils do not have to be under the same strings to create a hum cancelling effect. Those Z-coils are sensing the string like a single coil, but sensing hum like a humbucker.

A PAF style humbucker has complex phase shift involved, because they sense the same strings but are some distance apart. Therefore, some frequencies have degrees of cancellation. This is why a PAF type has more mids and less highs than a single coil.
golem
Reactions:

[mention]andrewsrea[/mention] thanks to [mention]pratteman[/mention] I'm not entirely sober. I understood a decent chunk of that, appreciate you trying to explain, and will reread this again another day.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

golem wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:53 pm @andrewsrea thanks to @pratteman I'm not entirely sober. I understood a decent chunk of that, appreciate you trying to explain, and will reread this again another day.
Lol. Probably makes more sense in an altered state. :)

Just a long winded reason for why humbuckers can come in different designs and can tonally sound different.
Zipslack
Reactions:

Interesting experiment, but would be easier to just remove the screw poles from a regular HB.
dabbler
Reactions:

Zipslack wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:15 pm Interesting experiment, but would be easier to just remove the screw poles from a regular HB.
Which is probably what these are: https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Vintag ... 21867.html

I put a set in here (on the right):
IMGP2280a.JPG