Recording Acoustic Guitar, mic vs piezo

Discuss your Recording Environment, OS, DAW and Hardware with members.
littlebadboy
Reactions:

I thought of trying to record my acoustic using my interface! I have never recorded my playing on an acoustic guitar before!

So, here it is! Recording Acoustic Guitar mic vs piezo through a Behringer UMC204HD interface! Bear in mind that I am not an expert in playing guitars or recording.

Here are the gear involved...

I am not much into acoustic guitars. I learned to play guitar on an electric. This is the only acoustic guitar I have, an Ovation Celebrity. It has its own pickup (piezo?) and preamp.

I am using a Pyle PDMIC78 ("inspired" by the Shure SM57) positioned 12"-16" in front of the 12th fret, a Pyle PDMIC58 ("inspired" by the Shure SM58) positioned by the bottom right of the bridge, plugged directly into a Behringer UMC204HD interface.

Image Image Image

Kindly excuse my playing. I'm feeling lazy and not much of an acoustic player. It hutrs my fingers. Backing track is a small part of my work-in-progress composition, "Summer fading" or something...

Mic'ed acoustic guitar:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/muvutshi1l52jew/summer fades Acoustic Plain.mp3?dl=0

This is a recording of the guitar plugged directly into the interface. For some reason, it only comes out through the right channel. I am not much familiar with my interface, I rarely use it.

Acoustic guitar recorded straight into interface via piezo pick up:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qmygu7plenjpjj/summer fades piezo.mp3?dl=0

I mentioned that I have not recorded an acoustic guitar before. No post EQ'ing as I do not know how to. Guitar tracks are dry with no effects.

Then... I joined the mic'd (left) and piezo (right) tracks together, and here ya go!

Comments? Thoughts?
Spike
Reactions:

I loved the tune, great vibe. The acoustic tone sounded good as well. I didn't click on the dropbox links to listen to the isolated tracks so I can't comment on those.

So far, I have never recorded direct with an acoustic. i have always used a mic. I have both of the mics you mentioned above. They are solid knock-offs for shure (see what I did there)! :roll:

I currently use my cheap Tascam TM-78 for both vocals and acoustic but recently started experimenting with dual mic set-ups. I used a matched set of Behringer C-2 condensor mics in an X-Y stereo set-up on my last acoustic recording. A person probably couldn't tell the difference unless they saw the set-up. :ugeek:

Keep up with the recordings and be sure to post the finished songs in the Coffee Shop thread.
Tascam.jpg
Behringer Set.jpg
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
OMB
Reactions:

Sounded good! The Piezo had a slight edge over the miced to my deaf ears. Combined-Impressive!!!
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!