guitar -> amp -> USB interface -> computer?

Discuss your Recording Environment, OS, DAW and Hardware with members.
glasshand
Reactions:

I'm using Garageband on a Mac, but I think this question is applicable to any DAW and OS. I just got a new USB audio interface, which has both an XLR input and a 1/4" input. I also have an amp which has an XLR out for DI. Is there any advantage to going guitar -> amp -> USB interface using the XLR rather than just guitar -> USB interface?
I guess you get to use the amp's controls that way, and maybe get some of its characteristic (preamp) tone, but if you're plugging into a modeling DAW, does it matter much? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
Milkman
Reactions:

Well, it depends what you’re trying to achieve. By going guitar > computer, you will end up with a raw signal, which you will then have to process with an amp sim (either GarageBand native or plugin) and a cabinet sim (which is integrated in the GB amp models). The advantage here is that you have a raw guitar signal and can re-amp and tweak your tone any time AFTER you’ve recorded it. For me, the main disadvantage Is the feel is the amp sim. There can be latency issues too, and your computer may have trouble keeping up if you’re using a lot of effects and/or virtual instruments.

The amp>interface>computer method is perfectly viable as well, but not all amps output a decent tone from the xlr out, so it may be difficult or impossible to get the tone you want. Some amps have great cabinet simulations on their xlr outputs... it varies.

I like to record from my amp>interface>computer because it saves me from endlessly tweaking my tone after recording.

Try both, see what you like and go!
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
Milkman
Reactions:

Also, if you’re recording out of your amp, don’t create a “guitar” track in GB... start with a plain audio track, because you won’t need an amp/cab sim.

Mossman
Reactions:

I've tried recording through the XLR out on my bass amp with very unsatisfactory results. The signal is just too weak.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Mine doesnt work to well either. Hm...
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Milkman
Reactions:

[mention]Mossman[/mention] [mention]tlarson58[/mention] maybe this article will help?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -or-quiet-