Skype for virtual

Discuss your Recording Environment, OS, DAW and Hardware with members.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Just sharing that the free version of Skype is working well to aid in virtual music production. I haven't figured out how to play DAWs across it yet, but the screen sharing and face to face is great!

If you have a mic and video cam in your computer, you are in good shape. You can call a phone, but that cost $.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
mickey
Reactions:

Er, uh, I thought M$ was trying to kill off Skype???
It isn't supported in Windoze 11 is it?
Gandalf the Intonationer
glasshand
Reactions:

Are you actually using it to play instruments "live" across the internet? Everything I've ever tried has had latency issues that's made it pretty much unworkable (although I certainly haven't tried everything out there).
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

@mickey : After seeing some reviews of Windows 11, I will be sticking with Windows 10 for a long time.

glasshand wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:34 am Are you actually using it to play instruments "live" across the internet? Everything I've ever tried has had latency issues that's made it pretty much unworkable (although I certainly haven't tried everything out there).
We are using it for production meetings. I send guide tracks, they record their parts. We talk production: arrangements, tones, reamping, virtual amps, etc. So this would be for listening to playback. A little latency is ok.
Mossman
Reactions:

Yeah from what I've seen, ain't nobody too thrilled about Windows 11. I thought Microsoft said that 10 would be the last iteration of the OS, and it was going to switch to a subscription model? What ever happened to that plan? Did they figure out how many dollars they were going to lose, and change their minds? Because if Microsoft asked me to start paying for Windows by the month/year, I would switch to Linux and stay there... or turn off updates, or take to the high seas, or whatever I gotta do.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:58 am Yeah from what I've seen, ain't nobody too thrilled about Windows 11. I thought Microsoft said that 10 would be the last iteration of the OS, and it was going to switch to a subscription model? What ever happened to that plan? Did they figure out how many dollars they were going to lose, and change their minds? Because if Microsoft asked me to start paying for Windows by the month/year, I would switch to Linux and stay there... or turn off updates, or take to the high seas, or whatever I gotta do.
Agree. I am not a fan of subscriptions. They typically strike me as 'less for more.'
Mossman
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 pm
Mossman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:58 am Yeah from what I've seen, ain't nobody too thrilled about Windows 11. I thought Microsoft said that 10 would be the last iteration of the OS, and it was going to switch to a subscription model? What ever happened to that plan? Did they figure out how many dollars they were going to lose, and change their minds? Because if Microsoft asked me to start paying for Windows by the month/year, I would switch to Linux and stay there... or turn off updates, or take to the high seas, or whatever I gotta do.
Agree. I am not a fan of subscriptions. They typically strike me as 'less for more.'
Yeah, I'm a big fan of buying something once and owning it. Not being forced to rent it for the rest of my life.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
honyock
Reactions:

Just wait until your car requires a subscription like the Cadillac Supercruise self driving feature...

Everything seems to be going towards monetization of services for continued support instead of buy once, cry once.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.