Digital recording from mixer out?

Discuss your Recording Environment, OS, DAW and Hardware with members.
voodoorat
Reactions:

I pretty recently got a powered mixer and everything's going through it when we have jam nights. I really want to record part of the jam to see what it sounds like the next day (kind of hard to tell when we're playing). What's the easiest/cheapest way to record from the mixer out? I actually have a 1980s-era 4 track recorder but I'm not sure I have any cassettes and I took it apart to gut it for parts and I'm not sure I have enough to put it back together again. I'd really prefer some way to record digitally anyway since we usually play for like ~6 hours and it would be nice to be able to hop around. I guess I could tote the digital interface and a laptop down there and it would probably at least sort of work but I'd rather not if there's some easier way that doesn't cost too much.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Ive often wondered how to do this as well. Way back, @RedLesPaul posted some snappy front-of-house mixes that were recorded using the venue's board via the RCAs. I've attempted this but my levels were always wrong.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
voodoorat
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:43 am Ive often wondered how to do this as well. Way back, @RedLesPaul posted some snappy front-of-house mixes that were recorded using the venue's board via the RCAs. I've attempted this but my levels were always wrong.
What did you try recording into?
Milkman
Reactions:

I’d get a Zoom H4n or similar... like this video:

"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
tlarson58
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am
tlarson58 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:43 am Ive often wondered how to do this as well. Way back, @RedLesPaul posted some snappy front-of-house mixes that were recorded using the venue's board via the RCAs. I've attempted this but my levels were always wrong.
What did you try recording into?

I made it too hard with an old recording console. I have a Tascam DR-5 that I will use next time (a simplified version of the unit above).
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Milkman
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 pm I made it too hard with an old recording console.
Is this one of those “that’s what she said” moments? I’m never sure.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
Chocol8
Reactions:

Does the console have a USB out? A lot of the newer ones do. Usually they are limited to stereo or a small number of tracks so it is not easy to adjust the mix, but it beats going digital to analog and back to digital on the output.
tlarson58
Reactions:

@Milkman
God, I miss band practice.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO