ZOOM H4n Pro

Discuss your Recording Environment, OS, DAW and Hardware with members.
Milkman
Reactions:

I've decided to conduct some interviews with my mom, podcast style, to recount some of her funny life stories. I thought this would be a great (Xmas) gift for the family that they can enjoy before she dies, so she can enjoy us enjoying her stories.

I've decided to use a ZOOM H4n Pro I have on loan from a friend, so I decided to test it out tonight, and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty impressed!

I attached two dynamic microphones to the XLR inputs on the ZOOM, and had to crank the input gain to 75-80% to get to the neighborhood of -6dB on the meter. This had me pretty nervous about noise, but when I piped the test into my computer the noise was quite low, and very manageable for an interview type recording.

I'll keep you posted, but so far, I'm pretty impressed with this little machine. Except for the display, which reminds me of every piece of electronic music gear from the '80s.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
Milkman
Reactions:

Well, here's the first interview. She loved the result! I think she was expecting more of a "kids playing with the tape recorder" result. She couldn't stand it, and sent it to my sister immediately, despite the fact that she was going to send it at Christmas.

fullonshred
Reactions:

Good on you for getting this done now. I am so happy for all of you,

I have had some amazing older friends and always threatened to take (at various times) my cassette recorder, or later my digital voice recorder, and have them recount some of their favorite stories and experiences. Sadly and shame on me, I never got it done in any of the three cases I intended. I just waited and waited - until it was too late.

Again - Good on you for doing it NOW!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

:) Great recording, story telling and pace.

Needless to say, the dynamic is fantastic. Its as if you've known each other forever.

"Aboot" "shoor" "nooticed" "oopen"

Without peaking, I'm guessing North Dakota or British Colombia.

** Nuts ** Ottawa was my second choice but I ditched in favor of BC. Should've gone with the gut.

Inspirational post.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Milkman
Reactions:

LOL, @tlarson58 .... I’m from Vancouver. Pretty good... I’m impressed!

Milkman
Reactions:

Well, for anybody interested, Mom and I did another interview. I recorded my voice using my new Sennheiser e935 microphone.

ID10t
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:01 pm Well, for anybody interested, Mom and I did another interview. I recorded my voice using my new Sennheiser e935 microphone.

So the first time I read the post I was just paying attention to That you got a new microphone. This time, after the latest post, I listened to story 2 (Wasp) which led me to listen to story 1 (sliding glass apple).
So now that we have summed up my attention span, I am subscribed to this thread and will get notifications when new content is posted. Very entertaining.
dearlpitts
Reactions:
Gearlist: Strat,steat,strat,agile3018,tele ,mustang

How do you subscribe to channel?
Sounds cool
Milkman
Reactions:

dearlpitts wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:12 am How do you subscribe to channel?
Sounds cool
At the top of the first post there’s a little wrench icon with a drop down menu... click the drop down and select subscribe.