AMI 'Dumbliscious' #2329001

Broken down by TYPE in Sub Forums.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

As previewed on 'Whats' on my bench,' here is the completed AMI 'Dumblicious' #23290001. I've sold a couple and have my personal pedal still in its prototype case, but this is the first 'baseline' model (graphics, circuit and layout). I have gone through countless tweaks to get it to what it is in this version.

This unit was specifically made, by request for a really good country music guitar and fiddle player, Erich Petzall. This is definitely an amp-in-a-box type pedal, one that many would have on all the time. It responds exactly like an amp that is very touch sensitive.

Dumble amplifiers were custom built, each one different from the last. Which is why there are so many Dumble amp clones and pedals which don't sound alike.

By studying the schematics of a few versions of Dumble amps, watching a few interviews with Alexander and in listening to recordings that I could definitively distinguish it was indeed a Dumble - I found some consistent features between the various models. Dumble's foundation was Blackface Fenders, with more transient response, harmonically rich and with overdrive that leaned into Fender Tweed territory that never lost its 'tightness.' Dumbles are also forward more so in the 400hz mid frequencies. Accordingly, I went with the best of what I heard.

This makes most amps sound like a mid-sixties Blackface amp with the volume set in the sweet spots (4 to 7), but with your amp being set at reasonable volume. It does not get flubby and is harmonically rich clean or gritty. It gets an extremely convincing 'edge-of-breakup' sound, which can go a bit farther. Other overdrives sound very good pushing it.

The 'Fat' control allows the player to add low frequencies to the 'Gain' structure (they interact). Full counterclockwise is a present, but tight low-end and transient dirt with the gain all up. Full clockwise gets full, on the edge of fuzz. I like it set as pictured.

'Soft Clip' provides harmonics and some 'squish,' with a fair amount of your guitar's original transients mixed in. 'Hard Clip' is less compressed and like a crunchy 1965 Fender Bandmaster. With having the clip switches both on, it is the most compressed and sensitive to how hard you play. With both off, it is a stiff and open sound, but not harsh or bland.

Let me know what you think of the graphics.

AMI Dublilicious EP1.jpg
AMI Dumblicious EP2.jpg
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
toomanycats
Reactions:

Love the graphics! It reminds me of an early 80s video game.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Love everything about this post. Job well done! The graphics are nifty.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

What if a fella wanted one, would he need to take a second mortgage? Feel free to message me if you would rather not discuss pricing on the public board. I have always been a TS man although I have had and used many OD pedals. Seems I always go back to the TS. However in the last month or so my bandmate gave me a pedal to try and I am really liking it. It is Vertex Ultra Phonix. It is also supposed to sound Dumble-ish. He may want it back at some point.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

tonebender wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:23 pm What if a fella wanted one, would he need to take a second mortgage? Feel free to message me if you would rather not discuss pricing on the public board. I have always been a TS man although I have had and used many OD pedals. Seems I always go back to the TS. However in the last month or so my bandmate gave me a pedal to try and I am really liking it. It is Vertex Ultra Phonix. It is also supposed to sound Dumble-ish. He may want it back at some point.
Thanks for asking! Anywhere but AGF, $135 plus shipping is the price. The person who bought my second prototype, keeps trying to convince me to sell this in the $190 range - but my feelings are that would be gouging.

AGF price is $125 including shipping. PM me to order. Typically takes me two to three weeks to make one, as the paint curing is the long pole and I work it between other project 'wait' processes.

I'll see if I can get some sound clips in the next few days. To your mention of a TS and Ultraphonix, they have a pronounced mid-hump at 729Hz and 500Hz respectively and the Ultraphonix doesn't cut the bass frequencies like the TS.

In comparison and unlike other pedals, the Dumbliscious soft-cuts inaudible frequencies below 80Hz which keeps the tone clear and transients fast (listen to the end of a of the Stevie Ray Vaughn song, when he 'snaps' on the 6th string and you'll get the idea). It is a little forward in the 400Hz range to provide thick harmonics, but not as 'telephone' sounding as the Ultraphonix.

Hope that helps.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob