I can't make my fuzz sound like the demos: Titan II Fuzz

Broken down by TYPE in Sub Forums.
golem
Reactions:

I don't have a tele, I have several strats but I feel like that's not it.

6 minutes in it starts sounding a lot more like a fuzzy overdrive. No amount of playing with the volume and tone controls on my strats can get it to sound like this.

More examples of what it sounds like when you clean up with the volume. Still can't manage anything like that.

I'm wondering if maybe it's a treble bleed thing?
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Hm...
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
golem
Reactions:

andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Your mileage may vary!

I experience this often with pedals. They each sound different amp to amp (@golem you know my amps are all different). I even have one amp (the Blonde) that the only OD pedals which sound pleasant are treble boosters.

And as we have spoken before, Fuzz is my Achillies heel. That Lovepedal MkII you gave me is probably the only pedal I can consistently make work musically. I really like my AMI Ram's Head muff, but it is different amp to amp and when I go to use it in a recording, it gets lost.

Edit: and Mike Hermans, Pete Torn and Andy can make a trashcan with strings sound good.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Are the demo's stacking or is it just the Titan II?
Is it the first pedal in your chain? Tried it by itself?
Is the 3rd video you playing? To me it doesn't sound like it's clipping.

Is there an adjustment inside on the PCB? The Fuzz's I built I usually adjust the bias the transistors to around 4.5v via trim pot.
mozz
Reactions:

This is silicon so 4.5v may not be biased good as when using germanium. Here is the schematic for more scrutiny.
Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 16-39-17 PedalPCB Build Guide - Titania2.jpg
AGF refugee
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

mozz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:43 pm This is silicon so 4.5v may not be biased good as when using germanium. Here is the schematic for more scrutiny.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 16-39-17 PedalPCB Build Guide - Titania2.jpg
Must resist!!! I don't need another Fuzz.. I do have a shit load of spare components laying around. Haven't built one in a while..

Oh well I ordered the PCB along with a few others...

WOW it's been a while since I log into PedalPCB.. it's grown some fierce. Just a few years back it was just a handful of people.
Sinster
Reactions:

Finished... right now I have 2N3904 in there and I'm digging the sound. Going try 2N2222A or mix them.
mozz
Reactions:

Guys often recommend 2n2369 when using silicon. I've got a bunch of Western electric transistors I'm now desoldering from circuit boards, gains are right in the ballpark, will audition them soon. If you want some guinea pigs let me know.
AGF refugee
Sinster
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:25 pm Guys often recommend 2n2369 when using silicon. I've got a bunch of Western electric transistors I'm now desoldering from circuit boards, gains are right in the ballpark, will audition them soon. If you want some guinea pigs let me know.
Much appreciated. I will let you know after the honeymoon phase, right now I'm digging the what's coming out.