Amplifiers And Storage. Help.

Discussions by amplifier type.
Lamf77
Reactions:

I am in the process of moving some of my "stuff" to a temperature controlled storage space. I had a question regarding amplifiers. I know the pots can get a bit scratchy from lack of use...but what about other aspects of the amps?
Specifically regarding tube amps...should they be played at least once every 3 months...6 months....etc.? I am testing them all before bringing them over, just wonder if I need to cycle them home every so often and plug them in.
Appreciate any advice....thanks in advance.,
tobijohn
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm ...Specifically regarding tube amps...should they be played at least once every 3 months...6 months....etc.?
I hope not, otherwise I'm in trouble. I've got a few I haven't turned on for several years. I'm now hesitant to even check as I have enough on my to-do list already...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Lamf77
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:15 pm
Lamf77 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm ...Specifically regarding tube amps...should they be played at least once every 3 months...6 months....etc.?
I hope not, otherwise I' in trouble. I've got a few I haven't turned on for several years. I'm now hesitant to even check as I have enough on my to-do list already...
@tobijohn Just have a fire extinquisher ready!

VIrtual gun was held to my temple before the holidays, so about 10 amps and 25 guitars are aleady in storage. I have some of my more collectable and/or semi-expensive amps I am debating either selling or storing.
My Legend A30, Pignose G60VR, Orange Dual Terror Head, Sundown Artist 100, Peavey Bravo, Peavey Classic 20 & 30, Peavey Mace, Magnatone Custom M10 to name a few. Some are a bitch to move.
Anyway...if I can find a close outlet to my storage unit....makes it easier than bringing them home every ew months. The to do list never gets shorter!
mickey
Reactions:

If you have an environmentally controlled storage unit, I wouldn't worry about it,
on the other hand noisy pots are mostly caused by corrosion.........
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I kept amps in a climate controlled space for years. They were all fine when I had to occasion to use them. When I sold all of those amps they worked fine.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Lamf77
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:23 pm I kept amps in a climate controlled space for years. They were all fine when I had to occasion to use them. When I sold all of those amps they worked fine.
Thanks for the advice. I won't worry too much then. Appreciate the help!
mozz
Reactions:

I would say 6 months- 1 year. Or not at all and when you do blow the dust off, use a variac to bring them up slowly. Other than that, deoxit the pots and tube pins before storage wouldn't hurt.
AGF refugee