UPDATE: Must be some type of illness...

Discussions by amplifier type.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I've been on a speaker quest with my AMI Lil Giant (a modified 1967 BF Bassman, stuffed into a Princeton cabinet with a 12" internal speaker, coupled to an external 4x10 cab with (2) Weber 10F125 and (2) Blue Pups).

I thought I was settled, until a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue rolled into my shop for repair, with a worn-in Weber 12F150 speaker that blew me away. Sounded so good with the DRRI, that I had to try it with my Lil Giant and it was heaven. It is just the perfect compliment.

The amp originally had an 80's EV12L (too sterile), a Fender #121042 (better, but vanilla), a Sunn 12G (very briefly - gonna try that again) and then two months ago, a new Celestion Alnico Creme (a bit pokey in the upper mids).

A similar journey with my 1964 Fender Vibroverb, I ended up with a 15" Eminence 1518. After plugging in the Weber 12F150, I most likely will be swapping that out for a Weber 15F150.

Has anyone else tried either the 12F150 or 15F10?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Partscaster
Reactions:

I have not tried either of those. But i love the models with "A" at end of name, that i have tried. Curved seam.
Perhaps I would like their 12F150-A.
I only have a few 12A125-A, and some other variants, but all with 1.25" voice coil, none with 1.5", yet.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I ran a Weber Blue Dog Alnico 15 in my Delta Blues and my Fender Excelsior. I think they are one of the best out there. I just can't tote that around anymore. Well I guess I could but I just do not want to. I have never tried their 12" speakers.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I was on a speaker quest awhile back and settled on a Hellatone. I found a good buy on it on CL and decided to give it a try. I like it a lot. I like Celestion V30 speakers in general with low wattage tube amps.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

tonebender wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:25 am I was on a speaker quest awhile back and settled on a Hellatone. I found a good buy on it on CL and decided to give it a try. I like it a lot. I like Celestion V30 speakers in general with low wattage tube amps.
I like Celestions a lot and the Alnico Creme is one in my AMI Lil giant that I want to swap out. It sounds reedy and warm with a bump in the 1.5K. I have a Vox style amp which has a Vox Celestion Blue which sounds almost identical, a 1965 Bandmaster cab with (2) Celestion G30H (from 1969), a clone Bandmaster cab with (2) Greenbacks, a Marshall 4x12 cab with reissue Celestion Alnico Silvers, and a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestino Classic Lead 80s. So I am way covered for the Celestion sounds and coming up short with the classic Fender sounds, hence the Webers.
tonebender
Reactions:

I also found Celestion speaker to not pair well with Fender amps but they did start putting them in some of their amps a few years ago, not sure if they still do. I ran Eminence Red Coat Red Fang Alnicos in several amps including my Vox AC15. It came with a Greenback which I do not like and I was going to drop a Celestion Blue Alnico but I read somewhere about the Red Coat and went with it. I was not disappointed. Another speaker I found pleasing was Black Shadow like used to come in Mesa amps. I had those in a couple cabinets and amps back in the day.

I used to try different speakers with different amps until I found the one that went the best to my ear. I found the V30 to be the speaker that sounded good no matter what I put it in. At least to my ear.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:10 pm IAnother speaker I found pleasing was Black Shadow like used to come in Mesa amps. I found the V30 to be the speaker that sounded good no matter what I put it in. At least to my ear.
A preference for the V-30 and the Mesa Black Shadow makes sense, as I have heard the latter is made for Mesa by Celestion and is a variant of the V-30.
tonebender
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:52 pm
tonebender wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:10 pm IAnother speaker I found pleasing was Black Shadow like used to come in Mesa amps. I found the V30 to be the speaker that sounded good no matter what I put it in. At least to my ear.
A preference for the V-30 and the Mesa Black Shadow makes sense, as I have heard the latter is made for Mesa by Celestion and is a variant of the V-30.
Ah, no wonder I like those speakers. The ear likes what it likes. It is amazing what a speaker can do for an amp.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

UPDATE:

Initial thoughts are the Weber's sound close to a vintage 60's Jensen C12N (the new Jensen's sound great, but different). Being assembled just 6 days ago, I am looking forward to them being broken-in. So far: classic mid-60's Black-panel sound. Really good with pedals.

15F150 (in the 1964 Vibroverb 35w) and 12F150 (AMI Lil Giant 60w).
Resized_20231104_134527.jpeg
AMI Lil Giant 11-4-2023.jpeg
Partscaster
Reactions:

someday Ill get either a 12a150-a or 15a150-a.

look forward to your opinions on those 2

I just love the xxxxxx-"A" variant models I've tried.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:21 pm someday Ill get either a 12a150-a or 15a150-a.

look forward to your opinions on those 2

I just love the xxxxxx-"A" variant models I've tried.
I have (2) 10A125's in 20w 8-Ohm, paired with (2) Alnico Blue Pup 10"s 25w 8-ohm in a 4x10 cab, that I love. I have a 5-way selector switch on that cab, which I can choose: all 4, the Pair of 10A125's, the pair of Alnico Blue Pups, a single 10A125 or a single Blue Pup. I can't remember what doping I had them put on it, but it would not be more than 'light'.

I really like the 10A125 ad our think the 12A150 would have a bit tighter and stronger bass. I suspect it would be in the 'tweed' American sound. The 12" Celestion Alnico Creme is a sweet speaker, but definitively British and made my rig 'tweed-heavy'.

I went for the 12F150 internal speaker to pair a Blackpanel sound with the Alnico 4x10 cab. So far, so good!
Partscaster
Reactions:

Andrewsrea, have you ever used the Weber "A" suffix models. I'm not referring to A for Alnico, but the lettering often at the very end. I believe "A" refers to the "curved seam" and ribbed cone. It is the early 60's Jensen style seam, I believe.

For example: There is a 12A125, and there is also a 12A125-A,
as well as 12A125-O, 12A125-B, etc ,there are S, H and T variants, too.

While I have tried only some of those variants, the "A" for curved seam/ Jensen early 60's, is my favorite in Fender style tube amps. It's what I'll tend to get going forwards. I was wondering if you had comparative experience.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:28 pm Andrewsrea, have you ever used the Weber "A" suffix models. I'm not referring to A for Alnico, but the lettering often at the very end. I believe "A" refers to the "curved seam" and ribbed cone. It is the early 60's Jensen style seam, I believe.

While I have tried only some of those variants, the "A" for curved seam/ Jensen early 60's, is my favorite in Fender style tube amps. It's what I'll tend to get going forwards. I was wondering if you had comparative experience.
I have not tried the 'A' or 'O', but have played an amp with the 'H' (hemp). Sounds cool, though and I'd love to come across one for sure. Especially the 'A'. The 'O' is described like my JBL D130 Weber re-cone to original specs and it sounds good, until the amp is past '4' or has any dirt pedal. Then it turns to mush. The 'H' I played sounded like someone put a light blanket on the tone.

I chose the standard versions, simply because I worked on a client's Fender DRRI which had a well broken-in 12F150. I liked it and then put my two amps through it and really liked it. When ordering, I thought to myself 'why tempt fate - I already really like this.'
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:14 am
Partscaster wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:28 pm Andrewsrea, have you ever used the Weber "A" suffix models. I'm not referring to A for Alnico, but the lettering often at the very end. I believe "A" refers to the "curved seam" and ribbed cone. It is the early 60's Jensen style seam, I believe.

I have not tried the 'A' or 'O', but have played an amp with the 'H' (hemp). Sounds cool, though and I'd love to come across one for sure. Especially the 'A'. The 'O' is described like my JBL D130 Weber re-cone to original specs and it sounds good, until the amp is past '4' or has any dirt pedal. Then it turns to mush. The 'H' I played sounded like someone put a light blanket on the tone.

I chose the standard versions, simply because I worked on a client's Fender DRRI which had a well broken-in 12F150. I liked it and then put my two amps through it and really liked it. When ordering, I thought to myself 'why tempt fate - I already really like this.'
Yes, I understand the "why tempt fate." Thats part why I'm locked into A's. I also have an H, and took it out to return to A. And also have an O, which is the smooth cone early 50's tone. I may find a spot for that one later. I'll likley stay in A models and try a 1.50 coil in a 12", and later in a 15", as I already have a 15" at 1.25. Thanks for the responses.

Edit: just remembered I am using the 12a125-H combined with a brighter 20w 12a125-a in a 212 cab. It is an okay balance between the two. Usually I have 30w, but got this 20w to try a while back. Breaks up earlier, and is brighter than 30w,. The 30w is my favorite....wonderful in 5e3, and my Gibson Falcon 19 rvt.