My amps

Discussions by amplifier type.
honyock
Reactions:

Wife and kids extended their vacation for another week because my wife got stuck on her way back from a conference and didn't want it to happen again with 2 kids in tow, so I got bored and decided to rearrange my small office.

1st step is moving all of the amps out of the office and I am coming to realization I have a problem with buying cheap or mid price amps much like I have with guitars. Not having the kids and wife around affords me the time I haven't have in probably 10 years to play unencumbered by the duties of being a husband and dad.

I have been going through the lot of them and I am trying to make a list of pros and cons for each.

1-Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 20w combo

So far the Mesa is the only one I can't find fault with. It is small, but not too small. It sounds good at any volume, it has an fx loop so I can add reverb easily with a pedal.

2-Stage Right SB20 50w head/Fender GE-112 1x12 closed back

The SB20 is cool, but it is too wide for the Stage Right 1x12 cabs and it looks weird sitting on the Fender. If I straddle 2 cabs it take up too much floor space. Surprisingly for a 50w amp you can throttle it down on each channel to get good tone at any volume, but there is a weird delay when switching channels so it is basically like 2 single channel amps when playing.

3-Blackstar ID60 TVP 1x12 combo

There isn't anything thus can't do and it should probably be the #1 on the keep list. Blackstar stopped supporting these so much like the Fender SCX2, however there is a 2nd party program that makes it much easier to change the tone patches.

4-Fender Sidekick 65 Bass 1x15 combo

Heavy old-school solid state bass amp. Isn't a great bass amp honestly, but it is pretty kickass for clean or playing a multi effects pedal through. Also really good acoustic guitar amp

5-Fender SCX2 head/Stage Right 1x12 cab open back

Was not happy when my USB connection ripped off the board, but fixed that with a sturdy external jack and now I can actually get into all the Fuse features that make this little guy much more useful.

6-Stage Right 30w head/Stage Right 1x12 cab open back

Bought on a whim, pretty nice tones, straight ripoff of a Laney like the 5w and 15w amps.

7-Line6 Duoverb 2x12 Combo with Shortboard

Really crazy good modeling amp despite being 2 decades old. Really well built and is like 2 1x12 amps or a 2x12 and blends of multiple styles making it super versatile. However it is huge, stupidly loud as soon as you barely crack open the master and is basically useless in my office.

Not pictured:

8-Vox MV50 Rock micro head w/matching 1x8 cabinet

Cool little amp with a perfect Marshall tone in a tiny package.

9-Marshall AVT20 1x10 combo

Better Marshall tones at reasonable volume than a DSL5cr or DSL40cr.
Terrible volume difference clean vs. dirty. Surprisingly loud, will keep up with my Mesa 20w 1x10 easily. Pretty sure it is underrated. Modded to put Reverb in the bottom of the cab instead of in the chassis and it is much quieter and you can crank the verb with excessive noise.

10-Peavey Blazer 158 1x8 combo

Super cheap, light, surprisingly good tone as long as you avoid too much pre-gain.

Daughter's amp:

Mooer Pink Hornet modeler

Cool little amp with tone for days with a surprisingly wide range of options/models covered, but it feels like a toy. Ridiculously lightweight and the controls feel and look quite cheap. The perfect take along amp to let people test out guitars using my little power inverter instead of the Peavey which doesn't show off a guitar as well as this...Image

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
deeaa
Reactions:

Niiiiceee!
--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
https://www.facebook.com/deeheikkinen/
YouTube.com/deeaa
http://www.mosfite.com (redirects to Google site)
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Crank it up! Time to test the threshold of hearing loss! ;)
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Loved this.

Thanks.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO