Vox MV50 High Gain

Discussions by amplifier type.
golem
Reactions:

Posted pretty much the same thing on TGP:

Vox has a pop up shop that I think is still going but started a few weeks before Black Friday and they've had these going for $99. I picked up the MV50 High Gain from them and it's pretty damn impressive for something the size and cost of a cheaper pedal.

I've definitely paid to see bands who had amps that sounded objectively worse. I'm running this through an Eminence Man O War. The mid settings on the back are nice. I tend to prefer having more mids. I'd kind of hoped that scooped mids would give me a more Mesa like V sound. It didn't.

I think the only thing comparable is the Micro Dark. Micro Dark has more range between dirty cleans and high gain. This thing gets pushed into truly high gain territory pretty quickly on the gain dial. Cab sim I hate on the Micro Dark so I don't even see that as a plus for the Micro. Honesty, if anyone sees a Micro Dark for $99 new hit me up and I'll buy it just because. I'd say the voicing is just enough different that someone could prefer one over the other for that reason alone. This is lighter and uses more plastic. I seem to recall the Micro Dark being much heavier but also using metal.
Flatline
Reactions:

Tempting… it would be a nice match for my MV50 Clean…
honyock
Reactions:

I like my MV50 Rock especially with the matching cabinet and the deep mode engaged, it is a nice little amp. It did a better Marshall tone at reasonable volume than my DSL40 and it sounded better side by side vs. my DSL5CR...

I am impressed with what you get. I bought mine several years ago not for like $20 more than that. Compared to the Hotones I had, it is just had a lot less of a toy-like quality/feel to it. The NuTube thing does a pretty damn good job.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.